Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passing through Ontario with 'Pitbull mix'

Passing through Ontario with 'Pitbull mix'

Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:32 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passing through Ontario with 'Pitbull mix'

Hey

I'm moving in a couple of weeks from NS to Alberta. I will possibly have my dog with me (depending on issue) and my drive through will mean that I have to drive through Ontario and Winnipeg where Pitbulls and Pitbull types are banned!

I'm curious, has anyone else had the same issue with this? I'm a little scared having read the legislation and rules on it that they can fine you or worst still seize your dog!

Worst case scenario I can fly him, but I'd like to take him myself as he's a little nervous and I worry about him flying.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passing through Ontario with 'Pitbull mix'

Originally Posted by Bellanova
Hey

I'm moving in a couple of weeks from NS to Alberta. I will possibly have my dog with me (depending on issue) and my drive through will mean that I have to drive through Ontario and Winnipeg where Pitbulls and Pitbull types are banned!

I'm curious, has anyone else had the same issue with this? I'm a little scared having read the legislation and rules on it that they can fine you or worst still seize your dog!

Worst case scenario I can fly him, but I'd like to take him myself as he's a little nervous and I worry about him flying.

Go through the US?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellanova
Hey

Even passing through Ontario you are at risk of having your dog seized.

Information on The Dog Owners' Liability Act and Public Safety Related to Dogs Statute Law Amendment Act, 2005 - Ministry of the Attorney General
5. What if I am just passing through Ontario with my pit bull?

You will be in contravention of the law if you are found to have imported a pit bull into the province. Your pit bull may be subject to seizure and you may be subject to a fine and/or jail time. Please note that exceptions exist for Ontario residents who are out of the province with their pit bulls for less than three months. Limited exceptions also exist for individuals coming to Ontario for purposes of participating in recognized dog shows and flyball tournaments.
For Winnipeg, you can obtain a special licence to allow you to travel through.

Animal Services Agency - Community Services Department - City of Winnipeg

I think you will either need to go via the US (although Michigan also have legislation) or else fly your dog over.

This list may help you determine if you can safely plan a route through the US http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/t...tes/sttodd.htm

Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Practically speaking I think you'd have to be in a crash or stopped for a traffic offence and then be unlucky with the cop before the dog would come to the attention of the authorities. I'd drive and try not to make an exhibition of myself.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Find the name of a similar looking breed that's not banned and tell everyone that's what your dog is.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 8:32 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Staffies aren't banned are they ?

Bugger - yes they are !!

What does the re homing paper say ?

My lab / terrier mix def has staff in him but he is just described as a lab mix !

Last edited by The4BellsLondon; Jul 8th 2014 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:28 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Practically speaking I think you'd have to be in a crash or stopped for a traffic offence and then be unlucky with the cop before the dog would come to the attention of the authorities. I'd drive and try not to make an exhibition of myself.

Funny you should say that, something online that I read said the same thing, if you do get stopped don't draw attention to the dog, most people would just think he's a lab
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:30 pm
Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Staffies aren't banned are they ?

Bugger - yes they are !!

What does the re homing paper say ?

My lab / terrier mix def has staff in him but he is just described as a lab mix !

The problem with my boy too is that he is registered on his vet paperwork and SPCA paperwork clearly as a Pit/Lab mix other wise I think I might have thought more of it. I think I will just fly him to be on the safe side, I couldn't handle it if he got taken away!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:36 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

It's silly, there really should be sone way for people "passing thru". Registered, neutered, muzzle in public .. Like the existing PBs in Ontatio.

Do you need a dog licence in NS and AB? If so I would go with both in hand plus your lease agreement for new property. To show that you are merely "passing thru" .
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:40 pm
Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Find the name of a similar looking breed that's not banned and tell everyone that's what your dog is.
Hahahah yeah wish it was that easy, he's clearly a Pitbull which ever way you looks at him, 4 Bells will agree lol
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:41 pm
Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
It's silly, there really should be sone way for people "passing thru". Registered, neutered, muzzle in public .. Like the existing PBs in Ontatio.

Do you need a dog licence in NS and AB? If so I would go with both in hand plus your lease agreement for new property. To show that you are merely "passing thru" .
Doesn't make any difference, even passing through they have the right to fine you or worse case seize the animal, its ridiculous and not worth the risk
Old Jul 9th 2014, 12:56 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Do a poll with a pic asking if people think they can see any pit in him, if you get stopped for any reason the Police won't even check records of him if he looks more lab than anything else imo.