Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Parents of UK-born, School-Aged children, vaccines

Parents of UK-born, School-Aged children, vaccines

Old Jan 27th 2017, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parents of UK-born, School-Aged children, vaccines

This is not meant to be a debate about vaccinating your children.

Has anyone with school-aged kids born in the UK had problems with their vaccinations being acceptable in Canada? We submitted their vaccination records when we enrolled them in school. We've had more than a few letters from the Board of Health where we live. Mostly they want information, which we've provided and they've gone away until the next time. All three of our kids had to have the DPTP vaccine again when we moved here because they had it at 3 years old in the UK, but in Canada they give after age 4. I was a bit uncomfortable giving them the vaccine again, but our doctor said it was safe. Now we've had another letter about a vaccine our twins had 2 days before their first birthday. In Canada, it's give after the 1st birthday, so the one they had is invalid. I'm not vaccine-paranoid, but I really don't want to give them a vaccine they've already had, especially since they already had the DPTP again. The letter is threatening suspension from school. For the sake of a vaccinate given 2 days early. Has anyone else been in this situation?
Old Jan 27th 2017, 6:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents of UK-born, School-Aged children, vaccines

This may be of use Immunizations |Health Promotion |Caring for Kids New to Canada

Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:00 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allie73
This is not meant to be a debate about vaccinating your children.

Has anyone with school-aged kids born in the UK had problems with their vaccinations being acceptable in Canada? We submitted their vaccination records when we enrolled them in school. We've had more than a few letters from the Board of Health where we live. Mostly they want information, which we've provided and they've gone away until the next time. All three of our kids had to have the DPTP vaccine again when we moved here because they had it at 3 years old in the UK, but in Canada they give after age 4. I was a bit uncomfortable giving them the vaccine again, but our doctor said it was safe. Now we've had another letter about a vaccine our twins had 2 days before their first birthday. In Canada, it's give after the 1st birthday, so the one they had is invalid. I'm not vaccine-paranoid, but I really don't want to give them a vaccine they've already had, especially since they already had the DPTP again. The letter is threatening suspension from school. For the sake of a vaccinate given 2 days early. Has anyone else been in this situation?
Which vaccination are we talking about here at one year, was it MMR? It wouldn't make any sense to make someone vaccinate her children again just because they have that vaccination 2 days early-I would certainly fight this, if you have a GP, try and get their support. Obviously I am very much for vaccination but I wouldn't want to repeatedly vaccinate just for the sake of it.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That is a great resource Siouxie-thanks
Old Jan 27th 2017, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

The invalid vaccination is Men-C-C. Their MMR is fine apparantly. Or at least until they send us another letter. I will talk to the GP, but this will be the third time I've had to take them regarding their vaccinations. The board of health has had their vaccination records for 3 years and every year they find something else wrong with them, so every year we have to go to the GP to sort it out.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 5:51 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

The invalid vaccination is Men-C-C. Their MMR is fine apparantly. Or at least until they send us another letter. I will talk to the GP, but this will be the third time I've had to take them regarding their vaccinations. The board of health has had their vaccination records for 3 years and every year they find something else wrong with them, so every year we have to go to the GP to sort it out.
I wouldn't vaccinate them again - they are covered, at one year- irrespective of being 2 days early
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

I won't be vaccinating them again for the sake of 2 days. I found a form I can give to GP to fill out, but she'll probably charge $50 per form. But that should prevent them from being suspended from school. The form is for people who object to vaccinations and refuse to vaccinate at all. I'm not thrilled to be lumped with them.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute

i currently have this same issue. My boys are ten and 6. I was told that you can refuse, and it would mean that if there was a case of polo in the school the boys would be suspended for a period. I still haven't made a decision about this as I too feel uncomfortable with 'double' vaccinations.

With the case of your twins I would absolutely contest it.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Public Health Nurse here in Victoria. I know it is different in other provinces, but the process is fundamentally the same. I would suggest contacting your local Public Health Unit and ask to speak to the Public Health Nurse allocated to your school.
They can look at your specific case, and even take it to the Medical Health Officer to review. We have a 4 day rule here in BC, that means that if a vaccine is given 4 or less days short of the recommended age, we can over ride it and make it valid. It is our MHO that has the final say.
That being said, it is not mandatory to immunize to get your child in school here.
Good Luck.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, charlottyb!
Old Jan 29th 2017, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I won't be vaccinating them again for the sake of 2 days. I found a form I can give to GP to fill out, but she'll probably charge $50 per form. But that should prevent them from being suspended from school. The form is for people who object to vaccinations and refuse to vaccinate at all. I'm not thrilled to be lumped with them.
This came up when in about our second year here. Kids were 8,10 and 13 when we arrived. The system's issues with their vaccines, went right back to the dates of their first vaccines, as babies. The kids were not vaccinated on the rigid schedule that they seemed to demand here (as you'll know they put off vaccinations if your baby has a cold/there are limited clinics in our small village etc). According to the woman taking my children's vaccination details the 'computer' will only accept vaccinations done to a very rigid schedule.

She was so helpful. Obviously I was confident they had all had the jabs they were supposed to so she kind of lead me through it in a "so the next vaccination must have been on..." whilst heavily implying I should agree to the dates she suggested, even though our actual records showed dates slightly outside what the 'computer' considered acceptable.

They ended up having to have a couple of things that are on the schedule here, but hadn't been there but avoided having to have all their baby jabs re-done. Both she and I understood what was going on, and I am grateful for what she did.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

monemi is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids were born in Canada, but 'the system' considered my kids vaccinations off schedule and sent threatening letters. I spoke to our GP and brought all of the forms. He had words with the health board for us after we'd faxed that we'd done all of the vaccines repeatedly, it not EXACTLY on their schedule. Our son was premature and required a different schedule.

The GP didn't charge us anything for talking to them for us. He was pretty irritated with them.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:12 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by monemi
My kids were born in Canada, but 'the system' considered my kids vaccinations off schedule and sent threatening letters. I spoke to our GP and brought all of the forms. He had words with the health board for us after we'd faxed that we'd done all of the vaccines repeatedly, it not EXACTLY on their schedule. Our son was premature and required a different schedule.

The GP didn't charge us anything for talking to them for us. He was pretty irritated with them.
I have to admit, as a GP I wouldnt have charged to do a quick support letter/talk to them
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

monemi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I have to admit, as a GP I wouldnt have charged to do a quick support letter/talk to them
I really appreciated it. I never knew bright yellow letters could feel so condemning before that happened.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know for sure if my GP will charge me if I ask her to fill out the exemption forms. There is a list of prices on the desk with the charges for various other things like sick notes, back to work notes etc, so I'm assuming she'll charge to fill out the form. I need to make an appointment. I'll call the Board of Health first. I have unti the end of March before they arrest me or whatever it is they want to do.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:47 pm
I need a walk

I don't know for sure if my GP will charge me if I ask her to fill out the exemption forms. There is a list of prices on the desk with the charges for various other things like sick notes, back to work notes etc, so I'm assuming she'll charge to fill out the form. I need to make an appointment. I'll call the Board of Health first. I have unti the end of March before they arrest me or whatever it is they want to do.
That is a discretionary list, We don't necessarily charge fees, the patient's just need to know that certain Administrative request searches form filling, sick notes etc. may well be charged as these are not covered under the provincial health system. I doesn't mean that I will always charge for sick notes and certain other things for example. Obviously other doctors might well, that is up to them.
I hope that you get it all sorted out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.