Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PAL & NTSC TV & DVD again

PAL & NTSC TV & DVD again

Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:32 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PAL & NTSC TV & DVD again

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Nope.. using the HDMI lead the signal isn't in either PAL or NTSC but raw digital information.. both video and sound

I'd check that the Bluray is set to output to HDMI and at the right resolution for the TV (I'm assuming 1080p)and that the TV is set to the right HDMI input as well.
Tis true i had to reconfigure my sons PS3 HDMI setting from 720p to 1080p when we changed the TV..At first i thought the ps3 was broken as there was just a blank screen on TV..fished around on you tube and viola found the solution.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

There can be problems with PAL HDMI and NTSC HDMI. If the source is in PAL. You can get PAL HDMI to NTSC HDMI converters http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-AT-HD56.../dp/B0011MOVN8

This is only a problem if the picture has not been upscaled to HD by your player.

As both your TV and Bluray player were bought in North America, you should not have any problems, but as you have hacked it getting support will be a problem.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:50 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidsk
That is interesting information about HDMI signal isn't in either PAL or NTSC. I will check it later.
Your TV I belive has a self diagnosis program built in

Under menu -> Support -> Self diagnosis

Which may help sort out your issue
Old Apr 13th 2012, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Thank you for all the helps. Unfortunately, none worked.

My Panasonic BDT110 wasn't properly hacked. It costed me $40 to buy the region free firmware!!!

I bought Toshiba SD5300 and put a region free code. Now it is working.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dazey is an unknown quantity at this point

I know there are many threads talking about this. My simple question is if you can buy a multi region DVD player from Futureshop or some other places.

Here is what I experience. We brought a UK TV (Toshiba) and and a UK DVD player. ...
Veering off course a bit, were you able to get the UK tv to work with a cable box using an AV converter?

We're moving back to the States from the UK next month, and had basically decided to bring our 50" Panasonic Plasma with us as we have all the original packaging and already have step-up/step-down transformers we've been using with our US electronics here. I was going to buy a converter like this to use the tv with a US cable box, or if that didn't work for some reason, put the tv in a spare room and use it with our dvd/blu-ray/xbox.

But then I was reading elsewhere on this site that it was best to just leave your tv in the UK and that the transformers could overheat and be a hazard?! Any ideas if we should keep it or sell it?
Old May 11th 2012, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

You definitely need some cable socket converter as well. The North American cable socket is different from the UK one.

We didn't bother to buy one (not sure if you could, somebody may give you an answer), as the TV programs just have too many Ads.

We just used our old UK TV to watch DVD and Blu-ray and Netflix.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

You definitely need some cable socket converter as well. The North American cable socket is different from the UK one.

We didn't bother to buy one (not sure if you could, somebody may give you an answer), as the TV programs just have too many Ads.

We just used our old UK TV to watch DVD and Blu-ray and Netflix.
Yeah, we may do that. Did you have to use a power transformer, and was there any problem with that running hot?

One concern is that if we don't use it for cable and just use it as an internet/blu-ray tv, we'd probably put it in the bedroom. I think 50" is likely to be way too big for most bedrooms, but my husband loves huge tvs and thinks it will be fine no matter the size of the room. I guess I can live with that, lol.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazey

But then I was reading elsewhere on this site that it was best to just leave your tv in the UK and that the transformers could overheat and be a hazard?! Any ideas if we should keep it or sell it?
Yes, sell it. TV's are cheap in the US, cheaper than shipping a plasma anyway.

Transformer will get hot, they're great for occasional use, but not for day to day running. You'd need a much larger one to deal with the heat and you'd need to check your home/renters insurance to see that running a transformer didn't invalidate the policy.
Old May 11th 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, sell it. TV's are cheap in the US, cheaper than shipping a plasma anyway.

Transformer will get hot, they're great for occasional use, but not for day to day running. You'd need a much larger one to deal with the heat and you'd need to check your home/renters insurance to see that running a transformer didn't invalidate the policy.
We're probably getting a 20' container, so shipping it won't really be an extra cost. And we already have a transformer that is many times the wattage of the tv (the tv is 350 watts and the transformer is 2000 or 2,500, can't recall).

But I would be worried about invalidating a homeowner's policy, that's something we'll have to check, because whether we bring this tv or not we will be running transformers on a few British items (we already have many transformers in use here in the UK, and they'll work in the US too, so I'll be bringing a few small UK electronics with us either way).
Old May 11th 2012, 4:51 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

The "push fit" aerial socket on a UK TV isn't remotely compatible with the US ”screw on” cable connector, both the frequency of the incoming signal and the format of the signal are different.
Don’t expect any success using this as an input

If you have a set top cable/satellite box The AV yellow phono will work if the TV is PAL/NTSC compliant

You will be better off if your North American set top box has component (Red,green,blue phono) output or HDMI as these don’t require any specific set up on the TV other than matching the resolution 480i, 720p, 1080i etc
Old May 11th 2012, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

The "push fit" aerial socket on a UK TV isn't remotely compatible with the US ”screw on” cable connector, both the frequency of the incoming signal and the format of the signal are different.
Don’t expect any success using this as an input

If you have a set top cable/satellite box The AV yellow phono will work if the TV is PAL/NTSC compliant

You will be better off if your North American set top box has component (Red,green,blue phono) output or HDMI as these don’t require any specific set up on the TV other than matching the resolution 480i, 720p, 1080i etc
Won't purchasing an AV converter take care of the problems? You connect the cable digibox to the converter via hdmi, then the conveter to the tv via hdmi. Costs $83 at Amazon. And that's if we want to use it with a cable box, which isn't certain that we will.

Here are other specs for the converter:

- HDMI Output Format: 720P at 50/60Hz, 1080P at 50/60Hz. (Option to Select PAL or NTSC
- Audio Output Format: Digital Coaxial Audio, Analog Stereo Audio.
- HDMI Input Format: 480I/576I/480P/576P/720P/1080I/1080P at 50/60Hz. - AV / Composite / CVBS Input Format: PAL/NTSC_M/NTSC4.43/SECAM/PLA-M/PAL-N.
- Compatible with several DVI formats: 800X600, 1024X768, 1280X1024, 1360X768, 1680X1050, 1920X1080.
Old May 11th 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, we may do that. Did you have to use a power transformer, and was there any problem with that running hot?
We used a VC converter (VC-2000W from http://www.voltageconverters.com/vol...onverters.html). It worked fine. The problem was that the humming noise was irritating. Probably we bought a too big voltage. We thought to use it for many other devices, but we rarely used it. Now it is in the garage.

We never checked if it was too hot or not.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:24 pm
Part Time Poster

Won't purchasing an AV converter take care of the problems? You connect the cable digibox to the converter via hdmi, then the conveter to the tv via hdmi. Costs $83 at Amazon. And that's if we want to use it with a cable box, which isn't certain that we will.

Here are other specs for the converter:

- HDMI Output Format: 720P at 50/60Hz, 1080P at 50/60Hz. (Option to Select PAL or NTSC
- Audio Output Format: Digital Coaxial Audio, Analog Stereo Audio.
- HDMI Input Format: 480I/576I/480P/576P/720P/1080I/1080P at 50/60Hz. - AV / Composite / CVBS Input Format: PAL/NTSC_M/NTSC4.43/SECAM/PLA-M/PAL-N.
- Compatible with several DVI formats: 800X600, 1024X768, 1280X1024, 1360X768, 1680X1050, 1920X1080.
You need to know the frame rates for you HD resolutions

24 is movie and needed for Blueray

30 and 60 for NTSC
25 and 50 for PAL

many TV sets can do everything from 24 upward, but you'll need to check what you TV can handle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ttee_standards

Last edited by MikeUK; May 11th 2012 at 7:50 pm.
Old May 12th 2012, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

We used a VC converter (VC-2000W from http://www.voltageconverters.com/vol...onverters.html). It worked fine. The problem was that the humming noise was irritating. Probably we bought a too big voltage. We thought to use it for many other devices, but we rarely used it. Now it is in the garage.

We never checked if it was too hot or not.
We have that one, currently connected to our US microwave, and various of the smaller sizes, too. When we get back to the States, we can use it for the TV -- if we can figure out that it's a good idea to bring the tv. It seems like it is, but a lot of people seem to think it's not, so I'm trying to determine if their concerns are valid in our case (being that we already have transformers, are getting a shipping container so we have plenty of room, and we have all the original packaging so it should ship safely).
Old May 12th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

You need to know the frame rates for you HD resolutions

24 is movie and needed for Blueray

30 and 60 for NTSC
25 and 50 for PAL

many TV sets can do everything from 24 upward, but you'll need to check what you TV can handle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ttee_standards
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.