Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pal dvd playback on US/Canadian Region free player?

Pal dvd playback on US/Canadian Region free player?

Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all
Default Pal dvd playback on US/Canadian Region free player?

Hi,

I've done a web search so please don't bite!

I have a rather extensive dvd collection i shall be bringing with me. Fortunately i'd hazard a guess 80% of these are NTSC Region 1 anyway (better extras, uncut etc, etc). My question is this - can i get a Canadian/US dvd player (region free) that'll playback my remaining 20% Pal dvd's.

I'm familiar with finding region free players, it's just the Pal playback thats the real issue. Or would it be the case that i'd need to import a Euro spec dvd player and a voltage (up) converter to achieve playback.

The other sticky is, how easy is it to find a US/Canadian TV that accepts a Pal signal from a dvd player?. We were not planning on bringing any of our electrical items due to the voltage/tv reception issues.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pal dvd playback on US/Canadian Region free player?

We bought a cheapo Philips DVD player from Walmart, and then hacked it with a code so that became multi-region allowing us to play all our UK dvds.

We left all our electronic equipment behind and bought new when we landed.

Another option if your techy minded is to rip the dvds to a hard drive, then play the files on a 360, ps3, wdtv etc.

PM me if you need more info.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

redeagle is on a distinguished road

I found a site once that gave the codes for most DVD's to make any region free, but god alone knows where, it was about 3 years ago.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Thanks for replies!

I have since 'recalled' the BEP's has a very useful search feature Bugger it, it is late though!

Still welcome to receiving any helpful advice on issue, as there is a lot to wade through in the search results and it does drift somewhat.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Big Stevo
We bought a cheapo Philips DVD player from Walmart, and then hacked it with a code so that became multi-region allowing us to play all our UK dvds.
Ditto - we brought our entire DVD collection with us.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:23 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I've had three or four DVD player that I've changed the region coding on so the can play Region 2 discs (actually set the player to Region 0 so they'll play anything).

I use http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks and check the model Nos available in the stores against the database.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Buy the cheapest DVD Player you can find at Loblaws and/or Walmart (usually 30 dollars or less and preferably made in China). Those ones are usually unlocked and will play anything (it costs to region lock a player at assembly stage).
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The downside to buying the cheapest possible player that works, of course is you hook up your expensive HD TV and surround system to a $30 walmart unit and wonder why the picture is less than optimal!

I'd look on the hacking/cracking websites such as videohelp for potential candidates. For example I have a Yamaha unit (4 yrs old now) that is region free and converts NTSC to PAL. But then again my TV also accepts NTSC or PAL signals.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:49 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, same with us. We bought one for about $20 from Canadian Tire - cheapest we could find and it plays all our DVDs, both bought here and those we brought with us from the UK. That was my understanding too, that it costs for them to put the coding chip in so they don't bother on the really cheap players. We bought decent TVs over here and we're able to watch all the DVDs on them fine too. We didn't bring any electrical stuff with us.

Originally Posted by Cyan
Buy the cheapest DVD Player you can find at Loblaws and/or Walmart (usually 30 dollars or less and preferably made in China). Those ones are usually unlocked and will play anything (it costs to region lock a player at assembly stage).
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The downside to buying the cheapest possible player that works, of course is you hook up your expensive HD TV and surround system to a $30 walmart unit and wonder why the picture is less than optimal!

I'd look on the hacking/cracking websites such as videohelp for potential candidates. For example I have a Yamaha unit (4 yrs old now) that is region free and converts NTSC to PAL. But then again my TV also accepts NTSC or PAL signals.
I agree. Find a make model that you are happy with, check that it can be hacked, purchase it, hack it and watch your DVDs with a lovely smug feeling
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

So am i right in assuming that Pal playback is possible with the majority of Canadian sourced dvd units, whether native Pal output, or Pal output to Tv's as NTSC.

Do many Canadian sourced TV's accept Pal/50 htz? Hope to replace my UK Bravia with similar brand on arrival. In 2 months time
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Just a thought,

If anyone else is similarly interested in comparing/obtaining the most favorable dvd edition (region 'content' variations) for their multi region players i've always found this site an excellent source of comparison http://www.dvdcompare.net/index.php

Maybe i'm a touch fussy, but i do hate butchered movies
Old Mar 27th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

Hi

some thoughts

tosh dvd players in the uk if you change the back panel
say 120-240v which is interesting if you want to bring a UK one with you
and can be region free

read on here that the most recent tvs in canada seem much better than the old crt days when you did need a multiregion special tv

i'm wondering if some of it is the blu-ray playback as thats 24fps
so making tvs multieverything is catching on - thank goodness

this is worth a read

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...34#post7449234

wlaw replied to my PM

"Sorry for the delay in replying. I have a Toshiba 52RV535U and and I'm using a (UK) multi-region DVD player to watch region 2 discs. I would assume that all models in the 'RV' range have this capability. My sister now has the 32" Sony Bravia and I will find out the model number for that. Neither TV has this capability mentioned anywhere in the manual. It seems to be a hidden feature and I just happened to try it one day and was pleasantly surprised when it worked. I also tested this with a Samsung and a Panasonic model but it didn't work with those TVs."
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, thanks for that!

Got my eye on a newer bigger Bravia to replace my UK model that i'm selling for 'peanuts'
Old Mar 28th 2010, 4:05 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

And with the exchange rate the way it is I'll be hitting Amazon.co.uk on a regular basis. Bought 4 box sets for under $100 and with shipping under $10

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.