Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which paint to use?

Which paint to use?

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice
Default Which paint to use?

Hi

We have got the keys to the rental today and have the go ahead to paint as it is a little tired.
We have been looking at the paint dept but are unsure what is what.
We are looking for just a creamy colour, but they don't have tins on the shelf as we do.
What is the equivalent to satin for walls that you can wipe clean??
Any ideas?
jo
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which paint to use?

Originally Posted by bear-diesel
Hi

We have got the keys to the rental today and have the go ahead to paint as it is a little tired.
We have been looking at the paint dept but are unsure what is what.
We are looking for just a creamy colour, but they don't have tins on the shelf as we do.
Any ideas?
jo
Hardware stores have paint on the shelves. You can get satin or semi-gloss finishes, example below. Since it's a rental why not pick up whatever creamy colour they have this week at Liquidation World or equivalent?

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:31 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bear-diesel
The equivalent is called "satin".
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Certainly go to Home depot but please don't get Behr paints- plenty of class action suits against them in America and we also have had them repay us for the disaster their stain created on our deck. Go with the Cilux stuff if you go to Home Depot- the North American Dulux- called Glidden in other stores.
(BTW if you have any problems with a product bought from Home Depot they are not good at dealing with it and push you on to personally dealing with the manufacturer. Not good customer service at all)

Don't people like the Benjamin Moore paint and Pratt & Lambert?

There is a new washable matt paint also now- Cilux. I like the matt paints- don't see problems on walls with matt as even with satin it shines out the bumps and cracks.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
Don't people like the Benjamin Moore paint and Pratt & Lambert?
I like Benjamin Moore paints, they cover well, but they're expensive. The attractive satin finish seen here was achieved using paint from Liquidation World's discounted bin, it was $5 a gallon.
Attached Thumbnails Which paint to use?-picture-145.jpg  
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like Benjamin Moore paints, they cover well, but they're expensive. The attractive satin finish seen here was achieved using paint from Liquidation World's discounted bin, it was $5 a gallon.
Nice bedroom.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:45 am

I've just remembered something. When I lived in Oakville I knew several painters. They all reckoned that Para paint was the stuff to use.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I think I know what you mean about not having tins on the shelf... are you talking about the aisles and aisles of different colours that you get in Homebase or B&Q?

Standard practice here is more like the colour-matching systems for the UK, in that you pick your base paint and finish (e.g. cilux satin, or as dbd33 suggests, go for whatever's on special since it's a rental property), pick your colour from the colour charts, then take the bit of paper with the appropriate colour reference to the mixing desk where they apply the tint to the paint while you wait.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

There is a show on TV from BC called The Shopping Bags. These two young women test everything. When they tested paint, they said the Benjamin Moore paint was the best. It cost more per gallon, but as it covered better you used less coats and therefore it actually worked out cheaper and was less work.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's been mentioned before - but there is very little (virtually nothing) in the way of "matchpots" - which I relied on heavily to get just the right shade.

How successful are the colour matches with the "add the tint" method ? Whenever I have used that in the UK, it frequently came out nothing like the sample card ! I dread having to try to re-do this house by buying 5 litre tins of the wrong tint !

Disney do matchpots I think ('cos I'll need a lot of fluorescent pink and lime) and Debbie Travis range does - any others ?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by ann m
I know it's been mentioned before - but there is very little (virtually nothing) in the way of "matchpots" - which I relied on heavily to get just the right shade.

How successful are the colour matches with the "add the tint" method ? Whenever I have used that in the UK, it frequently came out nothing like the sample card ! I dread having to try to re-do this house by buying 5 litre tins of the wrong tint !

Disney do matchpots I think ('cos I'll need a lot of fluorescent pink and lime) and Debbie Travis range does - any others ?
After we bought this house we did some work on the bathroom that resulted in a need for paint touch-up. We didn't know what colour to buy but guessed that the paint had come from Rona (based on the crap they left in the garage). I cut a small piece from somewhere unobtrusive and we took it to Rona. They have a scanner. We came back with an exact colour match.

I'm not sure if that's entirely relevant but it might help.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:24 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

Benjamin Moore, but you have to ask at the counter, they don't keep them on display.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Benjamin Moore, but you have to ask at the counter, they don't keep them on display.
Thank you - worth noting
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bear-diesel - paint is close to my heart as I am redecorating the whole house at present - no mean feet in these big Canadian houses

I am in Stony Plain, Alberta - and picking up on the Idiot's Guide thread - my experience is based on this area. I now buy paint only from Rona as the assistants in there appear to be a lot better informed and helpful than say - Home Depot or Canadian Tire. I would have like to use Benjamin Moore but they never seem to have the colour I want when I want it - and have told me both times I've been in that they will have to order it. When I want to paint, I want to paint now so that's no use to me.

In Rona (and the other big box hardware stores) they have examples of each paint sheen hanging up at the end of the rows according to paint manufacturer - this explains the many different types and finishes and gives you the uses for each. If this is still confusing - do what I do - choose the shade from the paint cards (as previously mentioned) go to the desk and explain what you want to use it for. The assistant will assemble the base paint for you and advise you on coverage, finish etc. From my many conversations with these experts, I've come to understand that you will get a very accurate version of the colour chosen if you use the correct manufacturers base paint with the tint of your choice. If you are not happy with the paint colour (ie it does not look the same as the sample on the paint card) you may reject it - though usually the assistants will pick up on this way before you do and remix automatically.

If you mix a different manufacturers base with the tint ie a cilux base with a behr tint you will get a slight variation. However, that variation is sometimes acceptable especially if the bases for a particular manufactuer are on special offer.

A couple more tips given to me by the assistants at Rona: if you have an old tin of paint knocking around that has separated but you want to use it, bring it to them and ask them to remix (they do it on a big "quick-shaking" device which mixes it all up again - shouldn't charge you especially if it is a make they sell; look at for base paint sales where you can buy 2 for 1 or 4 for 3 tins etc - even if you don't have a painting project on the go its worth buying it then and taking it back to them for tinting when you have a project to do and have selected the colour; finally, don't leave any left over paint in an outside garage or place where it will freeze over winter as it separates, it may still be useable for one freeze but after that it cannot be recombined with the magical "quick-shaking" device
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:18 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, We have used Debbie Travis and it was a nightmare to use, it just seemed to slide around the walls and not stick.

We have also just bought from the mismatched section (save a fortune is you only need one tin), but the best we have found so far is Rona's own stuff, covers really well and seeing as no one goes to Rona you always get promptish service unlike home depot where you have to find someone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.