Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island 'flat' spots ...

Vancouver Island 'flat' spots ...

Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:36 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vancouver Island 'flat' spots ...

My mum is visiting in 51 days (yes, I am counting) ... I haven't seen her for 3yrs 9months . She was pretty sick with cancer last year & said she needed a goal/reason to get better & this trip is it!!

I know Nanaimo pretty well but was wondering about other places on the island that are fairly flat, she says she wants to see it all ~ she can walk for about 10mins then she's done & needs a rest ~ OH being in the right line of work is gonna get me a wheelchair from work but my mum is pretty heavy (sorry mum ) so big hills are out of the question! .... I'm gonna take her up to Mt Washington & try & get her on the chairlift (her choice!!) & will take her to Tofino. We'll do Canada day in Victoria plus another day or two for Fishermans Wharf & Beacon Hill Park, Oak bay etc. Does anyone have any other ideas for me?

Oh, & I don't suppose anyone is flying Gatwick - Vancouver on June 20th?

ps.....she doesn't want to do Burchart

Last edited by bananahammock; Apr 30th 2009 at 1:06 am.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Island 'flat' spots ...

You could do the Galloping Goose Trail

http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/

Its an old railway line and not steep at all.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Hello Bananahammock! Loving your doggy, by the way ...

How about a trip on the cute wee Mill Bay/Brentwood Bay ferry to the Saanich Peninsula? You could take in some wineries then go to Sidney for lunch / shopping. There is a beautiful walk along the waterfront with great views of the islands/Mount Baker. The walk is totally flat and as long or as short as you want it to be. Sidney is totally set up for seniors and is pretty pedestrian-friendly. Lots of book shops and good restaurants/coffee shops. There's also a new marine discovery centre opening in June which looks like it'll be interesting. At the foot of Beacon Avenue in the park by the water there is a new outdoor stage thingy being built so there will be some concerts planned for summer afternoons I expect.

Have fun with your Mum on her special trip. It's great you're getting plans in place now!!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Expat Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Vancouver Island 'flat' spots ...

Me, the wife and kids went to Englishman River Falls today, not far from Coombs. The main waterfall (which was spectacular) was an easy 2 mins walk from the parking lot.

This is a good one if you mum isn't afraid of heights, unlike myself, I was holding on to the bridge for dear life

It's not going to fill up a day, but is definitely worth a look.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:41 am
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
You could do the Galloping Goose Trail

http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/

Its an old railway line and not steep at all.
Thanks rwin ... I'm gonna take a look at the website

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
Hello Bananahammock! Loving your doggy, by the way ...

How about a trip on the cute wee Mill Bay/Brentwood Bay ferry to the Saanich Peninsula? You could take in some wineries then go to Sidney for lunch / shopping. There is a beautiful walk along the waterfront with great views of the islands/Mount Baker. The walk is totally flat and as long or as short as you want it to be. Sidney is totally set up for seniors and is pretty pedestrian-friendly. Lots of book shops and good restaurants/coffee shops. There's also a new marine discovery centre opening in June which looks like it'll be interesting. At the foot of Beacon Avenue in the park by the water there is a new outdoor stage thingy being built so there will be some concerts planned for summer afternoons I expect.

Have fun with your Mum on her special trip. It's great you're getting plans in place now!!
That's a good idea I've done the ferry once, a couple of years ago but haven't looked around Sidney waterfront .... is that near to the swartz bay terminal? Sounds like it could be a great day out

Originally Posted by Expat Andy
Me, the wife and kids went to Englishman River Falls today, not far from Coombs. The main waterfall (which was spectacular) was an easy 2 mins walk from the parking lot.

This is a good one if you mum isn't afraid of heights, unlike myself, I was holding on to the bridge for dear life

It's not going to fill up a day, but is definitely worth a look.
Yep, she should be able to manage Englishman river have you been to Little Mountain whilst you've been up in that direction? (hang on to the kids though!!)
http://www.nanaimoinformation.com/little-mountain.php

Last edited by bananahammock; Apr 30th 2009 at 5:22 am.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

A walk on the beach at low tide at Rathtrevor Provincial Park, Parksville.

It doesn't get much flatter.

Not sure if the Bald Eagles will still be there then, likely not.

If you are going to Englishman river then a stop at the North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre could also work.

http://www.niwra.org/

Last edited by Steve_P; Apr 30th 2009 at 3:29 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Can’t you hire her a motorized chair or buggy a lot of the retirees around here use them even the more mobile ones, they seem to go a long way on a charge.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:22 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Can’t you hire her a motorized chair or buggy a lot of the retirees around here use them even the more mobile ones, they seem to go a long way on a charge.
I thought about that but we'll be out & about a fair bit & those things are really heavy, plus I'd need a ramp for the van .... also, my mum likes a drink & the thought of my elderly, slightly sozzled mother let loose in one is a pretty scary thought!! ~ might let her loose in the ones in the supermarkets though
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:27 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by Steve_P
A walk on the beach at low tide at Rathtrevor Provincial Park, Parksville.

It doesn't get much flatter.

Not sure if the Bald Eagles will still be there then, likely not.

If you are going to Englishman river then a stop at the North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre could also work.

http://www.niwra.org/
Yep, will include Rathtrevor in one of our daytrips .... last time I was there, there were whales breaching & we watched them from the beach, I'd love to see that again

I'd forgotten about the recovery centre, thanks
Old May 1st 2009, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
My mum is visiting in 51 days (yes, I am counting) ... I haven't seen her for 3yrs 9months . She was pretty sick with cancer last year & said she needed a goal/reason to get better & this trip is it!!

I know Nanaimo pretty well but was wondering about other places on the island that are fairly flat, she says she wants to see it all ~ she can walk for about 10mins then she's done & needs a rest ~ OH being in the right line of work is gonna get me a wheelchair from work but my mum is pretty heavy (sorry mum ) so big hills are out of the question! .... I'm gonna take her up to Mt Washington & try & get her on the chairlift (her choice!!) & will take her to Tofino. We'll do Canada day in Victoria plus another day or two for Fishermans Wharf & Beacon Hill Park, Oak bay etc. Does anyone have any other ideas for me?

The Mill Bay ferry trip suggested by Monkey Puzzle is a great idea. There is also a nice flat waterfront walk along Mill Bay Road - this is on the way to the ferry.

By the way - we will be flying back to Vancouver from Gatwick on the 20th June..................
Old May 1st 2009, 4:42 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

just me from up here BH, make sure Mount Washingon is open, chair lift opens June 20th weather permitting! if there is too much snow still they may not have chair lift running? They stayed open later this year cause of the extra snow, yet with all the sun lately it may well be gone. Go around the airpark in courtenay whilst up this way, all flat, cafe by the airpark to visit, watch the float planes, and see all the birdies.......
Old May 1st 2009, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Try the ferry over to Sidney Spit. Thats pretty flat and a day out.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/parks/?id=453

Raethtrevor beach has nice walks around it. Dallas road for the kites and parasailing

Easy walks around Elk and Beaver lake.
Old May 1st 2009, 6:12 am
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
The Mill Bay ferry trip suggested by Monkey Puzzle is a great idea. There is also a nice flat waterfront walk along Mill Bay Road - this is on the way to the ferry.

By the way - we will be flying back to Vancouver from Gatwick on the 20th June..................
Ooh er I'm gonna PM you soon then Jo!

Originally Posted by gooding
just me from up here BH, make sure Mount Washingon is open, chair lift opens June 20th weather permitting! if there is too much snow still they may not have chair lift running? They stayed open later this year cause of the extra snow, yet with all the sun lately it may well be gone. Go around the airpark in courtenay whilst up this way, all flat, cafe by the airpark to visit, watch the float planes, and see all the birdies.......
Too much snow? .... bl**dy hope not how about a quick stop at yours on the way back!! .... we could try & manoeuvre her into your hot-tub!!

Originally Posted by Spongebob
Try the ferry over to Sidney Spit. Thats pretty flat and a day out.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/parks/?id=453

Raethtrevor beach has nice walks around it. Dallas road for the kites and parasailing

Easy walks around Elk and Beaver lake.
Sidney looks lovely .... are the lakes down there too? I thought Elk lake was in Campbell river
Old May 1st 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Elk and Beaver Lake are about 15 mins from Sidney. Straight down the Pat bay.

http://www.vancouverisland.com/parks/?id=429

There is a 10km walk around it. Lots of eagles there, plus it is home of the Olympic rowing team.
Old May 1st 2009, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Sidney looks lovely .... are the lakes down there too? I thought Elk lake was in Campbell river
Yep, Elk/Beaver Lake is about 15 mins drive south of Sidney on H17 towards Victoria ... there are some nice beaches and trails round it. Not sure how you'd do with the wheelchair as some of the trails are a bit narrow and tree-rooty ...not to mention the runners doing the 10k round it nipping in and out ...!

The walk along Sidney seafront is a good one ....you go to the end of Beacon Avenue (the main street in Sidney and the one you turn onto off the highway to enter the town.) The highway end of Beacon is not so picturesque (!) but it gets so pretty as you go down to the water where the big blue fishmarket is. From there you can go left or right along the waterfront ...right takes you to the fishing pier and you can go as far as you like ..past wee parks and beaches.. Parking in Sidney is easy and free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.