British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   The packers are here! The packers are here! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/packers-here-packers-here-804009/)

Bucks_Family Jul 25th 2013 2:50 pm

The packers are here! The packers are here!

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, this seems to have suddenly rushed up on us, after months of waiting since we first confirmed our move date, the packers arrived today. You might guess from the photo who we are using, it's quite subtle ;-)
They've scheduled four and a half days for the wrapping and packing, but the speed they worked today they'll be done in three days, max. We were expecting 2 or 3 rooms to be sorted today, they've cleared 4.
This is the first tangible evidence of the move actually happening, everything else - the acquisition of our COPRs, the landing holiday last Christmas - were very real, but didn't really relate to us physically moving from the UK.
Now it's real!

Sampace1983 Jul 25th 2013 7:33 pm

Re: The packers are here! The packers are here!

Hay congrats!!

Granma Nessie Jul 25th 2013 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family (Post 10818809)
Wow, this seems to have suddenly rushed up on us, after months of waiting since we first confirmed our move date, the packers arrived today. You might guess from the photo who we are using, it's quite subtle ;-)
They've scheduled four and a half days for the wrapping and packing, but the speed they worked today they'll be done in three days, max. We were expecting 2 or 3 rooms to be sorted today, they've cleared 4.
This is the first tangible evidence of the move actually happening, everything else - the acquisition of our COPRs, the landing holiday last Christmas - were very real, but didn't really relate to us physically moving from the UK.
Now it's real!

I know just how you are feeling. The same company did my packing last Monday and as it was only a part load (450 c ft) they had me all done in 4 hours with no breaks in between although I did offer them tea and biccies. They did a great job and coped well with my steep internal stairs. I fly out next Thursday but it still seems a bit unreal just as if I am going on holiday but maybe that is the best way to cope mentally otherwise it would be a bit of a shock to the system . When do you fly out and where are you headed in Canada?

Bucks_Family Jul 25th 2013 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie (Post 10819252)
I know just how you are feeling. The same company did my packing last Monday and as it was only a part load (450 c ft) they had me all done in 4 hours with no breaks in between although I did offer them tea and biccies. They did a great job and coped well with my steep internal stairs. I fly out next Thursday but it still seems a bit unreal just as if I am going on holiday but maybe that is the best way to cope mentally otherwise it would be a bit of a shock to the system . When do you fly out and where are you headed in Canada?

I'm not sure how we'll handle those first few weeks, we're on holiday in so much as we won't be working, but it won't be very relaxing, with all the running about that will be needed. We flying from Manchester on the 7th August, settling in the Cochrane/Airdrie/West Calgary area, we hope.
We're filling a 40-footer, mostly with the kids toys from what I've seen today!

izzi81 Jul 25th 2013 8:30 pm

Congratulations! I remember that scene... All the boxes! Keep us posted on how it all goes! :) :fingerscrossed:

MillieF Jul 25th 2013 9:39 pm

This was me this time last year!! Hang on to your sanity! Also to your passports, we had to pop out, and whist we were gone the packers packed our three passports and all our Canada documentation! Very best of luck for a smooth and happy transition:fingerscrossed:

Mikeypm Jul 26th 2013 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family (Post 10819281)
I'm not sure how we'll handle those first few weeks, we're on holiday in so much as we won't be working, but it won't be very relaxing, with all the running about that will be needed. We flying from Manchester on the 7th August, settling in the Cochrane/Airdrie/West Calgary area, we hope.

Good luck and if you have time I am in Manchester so you could pop in for a brew before you head off :)

shazza69 Jul 26th 2013 9:34 am

oh how exciting for you best of luck xx

kazmart Jul 26th 2013 10:27 am

Good Luck!!! Interested to read your experiences - ours come monday!!!!

cheeky_monkey Jul 26th 2013 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family (Post 10819281)

have you got a house to rent or to buy as yet? If not you could find things difficult because of the flood and the huge amount of displaced people properties are very thin on the ground

Rosie Lee Jul 26th 2013 12:32 pm

Congratulations. I remember that, every box either full of toys, or clothes.
Keep your sanity. The next four months are the hardest!;)

KAT16 Jul 26th 2013 6:21 pm

Good luck to you all! I remember that feeling, having the movers there. Seeing all our worldly goods disappear round the corner and wondering if we would ever see them again :rofl: Luckily all made it safe and sound except for one wine glass - pretty sure I can let one go.:thumbsup:

We moved (5yrs ago next month) to Airdrie. Rented for a year and then bought our own house. Airdrie is a great place to live, we wouldn't wanna live anywhere else. Best move ever.

Karen

fabretti18 Jul 26th 2013 8:54 pm

Good luck.....ours arrive on Monday, starting to feel a reality now :)

ron22 Jul 27th 2013 6:33 am

Congo man! Good Luck!
If possible share your experience with the packing stuff here please :)
Thanks again :)

CanadaJimmy Jul 27th 2013 7:52 am

And here I was thinking this thread was about the Green Bay Packers.