Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Overcautious, or completely insane?!!!!

Overcautious, or completely insane?!!!!

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:29 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overcautious, or completely insane?!!!!

Hi everybody, I apologise in advance for this boring thread . . . . . . .just have to get it off my chest (forum therapy )

Am I out of my tiny mind leaving our arrangements so late?

The couple that want to buy our house have told us that they would like to sign contracts at the beginning of September & have given notice on their rented house . . . . . . . .hooray for us, some might say BUT they havn't signed yet!!
All throughout the immigration process I have said "well, we might not get in".
Then when we got the meds request it was " well, there could be something wrong" (happy soul aren't I!!)

NOW we could be a week or two away from being Mr & Mrs homeless & we still havn't booked flights, movers etc . . . . .or given notice at work.
As you can imagine hubby is thrilled with me and is spending many a moment running around the house shouting "we're gonna run out of time if we don't do something soon." I on the other hand feel like a rabbit in the headlights

Are there others in forumland that feel/have felt like me or am I ready for the men in the white coats? :scared:
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:36 pm
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Overcautious, or completely insane?!!!!

I know exactly what you mean. We are a little further than you as we're having the movers next week and are flying on the 5th. It's a total race against time.

I wake up in the middle of the night and stay awake for a few hours making lists in my mind of things to do in the morning!!!

Hang in there, everything will fall into place!!!!

Good luck

MCC
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:23 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Are there others in forumland that feel/have felt like me or am I ready for the men in the white coats? :scared:
I landed in September.

Then I went back to complete the house sale...

We (as a family) finally got here in November.

Take my word for it ... having a week or two of being "homeless" in the UK before you come to Canada isn't all that bad a situation to be in ... go visit your favorite places ... spend some time with friends & family ... go buy yourself a year's supply of Brit essentials at Sainsbury's or knickers at M&S ... depending on how things work out when you cross the pond, it could be a little while before you get the opportunity again.

Get things in the UK tied up first ... don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff ... a surprising number of new immigrants land, survive & prosper ...

Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

If I recall, we went though months of that - will we go? etc etc A move like this will dominate your mind. Now 7 years later, its' will we ever get that new boat!!! ...... it arrives next Friday

hang in there, have a drink and stop watching Corrie now to reduce the number of re-runs you have to see
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Hi everybody, I apologise in advance for this boring thread . . . . . . .just have to get it off my chest (forum therapy )

Am I out of my tiny mind leaving our arrangements so late?

The couple that want to buy our house have told us that they would like to sign contracts at the beginning of September & have given notice on their rented house . . . . . . . .hooray for us, some might say BUT they havn't signed yet!!
All throughout the immigration process I have said "well, we might not get in".
Then when we got the meds request it was " well, there could be something wrong" (happy soul aren't I!!)

NOW we could be a week or two away from being Mr & Mrs homeless & we still havn't booked flights, movers etc . . . . .or given notice at work.
As you can imagine hubby is thrilled with me and is spending many a moment running around the house shouting "we're gonna run out of time if we don't do something soon." I on the other hand feel like a rabbit in the headlights

You could just rent somewhere for the period between leaving your house and leaving the UK. If you sent your stuff by ship it'd probably arrive when you do and can save money on temporary storage in the UK. Flights are easy, you can book them in 5mins online when you get your passport request. You can pick the visas up the same day from the Embassy (I could from the Paris office). Maybe you should write down a list of things to do and do one at a time - or delegate some to your husband!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:28 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MCC
I know exactly what you mean. We are a little further than you as we're having the movers next week and are flying on the 5th. It's a total race against time.

I wake up in the middle of the night and stay awake for a few hours making lists in my mind of things to do in the morning!!!

Good luck

MCC
I'm MCC's husband - I don't wake up in the middle of the night, I think no matter how prepared you there are still plenty of things waiting to surprise you. Sitting on the M25 on Sunday, feeling well ahead of the game, I started jotting down a new "to-do" list, about 7 minutes later I had another 26 tasks to take care and was no longer feeling so smug. I still don't care, things always get done.

Although, I did mislay my CoPR form last week for about an hour and almost went into cardiac arrest.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 7:55 pm
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCC

Good luck

MCC
MCC
Thanks for that. Glad I'm not the only one
Good luck to you to
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:03 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by Cowtown
I landed in September.

Then I went back to complete the house sale...

We (as a family) finally got here in November.

Take my word for it ... having a week or two of being "homeless" in the UK before you come to Canada isn't all that bad a situation to be in ... go visit your favorite places ... spend some time with friends & family ... go buy yourself a year's supply of Brit essentials at Sainsbury's or knickers at M&S ... depending on how things work out when you cross the pond, it could be a little while before you get the opportunity again.

Get things in the UK tied up first ... don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff ... a surprising number of new immigrants land, survive & prosper ...
Hi Cowtown
We've visited a few places in the last few weeks & I'm gonna concentrate on catching up with a few people before we go as well.

As for the brit essentials & the Bridget Jones knickers, the man from Allied pickfords who gave us a quote this week said that we can't take any foodstuffs whatsoever ~ this only applies to the foodstuffs NOT the knickers!! ~ I know we can't take fresh stuff but I was hoping to take a good supply of decent teabags
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:12 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by proo
You could just rent somewhere for the period between leaving your house and leaving the UK. If you sent your stuff by ship it'd probably arrive when you do and can save money on temporary storage in the UK. Flights are easy, you can book them in 5mins online when you get your passport request. You can pick the visas up the same day from the Embassy (I could from the Paris office). Maybe you should write down a list of things to do and do one at a time - or delegate some to your husband!
Hi proo

Renting would be great but I think we'd find it hard go get a rental for just a couple of weeks. As for shipping the stuff, because we don't have anywhere to live there yet I don't want to ship too early because we won't have anywhere to put everything
Flights I'm not too worried about. Delegating to the other half . . . :scared: :scared:
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:15 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
I'm MCC's husband - I don't wake up in the middle of the night, I think no matter how prepared you there are still plenty of things waiting to surprise you. Sitting on the M25 on Sunday, feeling well ahead of the game, I started jotting down a new "to-do" list, about 7 minutes later I had another 26 tasks to take care and was no longer feeling so smug. I still don't care, things always get done.

Although, I did mislay my CoPR form last week for about an hour and almost went into cardiac arrest.

Hi ziggy8080
LOL

See my previous answer about delegating to other half
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:34 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about the tea we can get most types here including typhoo.. our red-cross (Visitors) parcel list is now mainly chocolate...
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:37 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Don't worry about the tea we can get most types here including typhoo.. our red-cross (Visitors) parcel list is now mainly chocolate...
Good news about the tea
Last year when we visited (BC) the tea was weak & horrible ~ pretty much the same as I feel now we're reaching the end/start of the immigration process