Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Over 40 years old

Over 40 years old

Old Nov 15th 2013, 10:19 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40 years old

A 57 year old married female friend of ours has been out of work for over 2 years.

Beginning in her early 20's she worked for the provincial government for 10 years (good job, satisfied with the work at Queens Park) before quitting to stay at home with her child. Back into the workforce approaching 40 she successfully held several different full time jobs working in administration till the last company made her surplus to requirements. At the age of 55 she was now looking for work, any related - part time, temp, full time.

After many interviews she has concluded its her age, although no one will tell her straight to her face (because its against the law) citing she is either over qualified or that they have had 10's to 100's of people applying for the same job.

She is registered with employment agencies as well as applying on line for jobs ... nothing

Last edited by not2old; Nov 15th 2013 at 10:25 am.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Irishlady is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking for a job in importing and exporting. I have 14 years experience with DHL.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Where will you be heading?
There are a number of posts available locally here in Red Deer.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishlady
I am looking for a job in importing and exporting. I have 14 years experience with DHL.
OK, and again, when did you get PR? I'm only asking because it clearly wasn't recently if you've managed to get PR via the FSW program without a job offer and whilst working in import/export. So when exactly did you 'land' to activate PR?

And again, where are you planning on moving to?

Please help us to help you, by giving us info!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:18 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, and again, when did you get PR? I'm only asking because it clearly wasn't recently if you've managed to get PR via the FSW program without a job offer and whilst working in import/export. So when exactly did you 'land' to activate PR?

And again, where are you planning on moving to?

Please help us to help you, by giving us info!
She said in an earlier post she was looking at Vancouver Island - Nanaimo, to be precise. How much import-export business moves through Nanaimo? I'd have thought Vancouver or even Victoria would be more likely to offer realistic employment prospects.

But you're quite right - her first concern should be whether her PR visa is still valid and whether she can meet the residence requirements. When were no-job-offer-required FSW visas outside of in-demand NOCs last granted?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Although she hasn't been back to the forum since posting yesterday, so in fairness hasn't actually seen my follow up yet.

I know, there are people out there that don't log on several times a day. How peculiar!

(she has now... but still no clarification)
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

couple of suggestions

1. Look at customs brokers or logistics positions out in BC probably best in the greater Vancouver area.

http://ca.indeed.com/Customs-Brokera...-Vancouver,-BC

http://ca.indeed.com/Logistics-jobs-in-Vancouver,-BC

2. There is UPS & FedEx as another possible employer

http://ca.indeed.com/UPS-jobs-in-Vancouver,-BC

http://fedexcanadaeng.hire.com/frame...oto=er-joblist
Old Nov 17th 2013, 3:57 am
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

Irish Lady,

<snip>

Finally, in answer to your question, my wife applied for well over 200 jobs after we arrived here before she found a full time position in her profession, we don't think her age (over 40) was a hindrance, its possible our address might have been. I've only applied for 2 jobs in, I got an interview for 1 and got the job for the other, jacked it an after a day and went back to ducking and diving.
Good luck if and when you get here.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 17th 2013 at 7:14 am. Reason: Personal abuse removed
Old Nov 17th 2013, 4:40 am
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

I forgot to add to my previous post, FTM. my apologies.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How long - do you not see the irony in having a go at other members for being nasty and then proceeding to be far more vitriolic to them?

If you have an issue with forum members (or one in particular as it seems), then use the ignore button; that's what it's there for. And maybe follow your own advice and steer clear of abusing other forum members.

Again, pls re-read site rule 1.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

I would like to move to Nanaimo but if there are no suitable jobs there then I am willing to work in Victoria or Vancouver.

I activated my PR visa in March 2011.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I activated my PR visa in March 2011.
Under which NOC code did you apply? Is it still one in demand?

You say you're going to move in early 2014, but have you spent much time in Canada since landing? If not, that's cutting it rather fine!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:02 am
Just Joined

I have spent a month in Canada already. Don't mind that I am cutting it rather fine! It suits me like that!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:25 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I have spent a month in Canada already. Don't mind that I am cutting it rather fine! It suits me like that!
and on that note .... I'm out.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:22 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

And on that note...I am more than a few years in than 40...but...at my advanced age have just been offered a big promotion and am heading off on Sunday to a Conference....first time in many years....Canada has in a work world been kind to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.