Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Over 40 years old

Over 40 years old

Old Nov 14th 2013, 1:47 pm
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice
Default Re: Over 40 years old

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Pending further information, I don't think the OP is to be taken seriously.

She's never once in her posts said anything at all about her visa status.

Nor has she ever enquired about related issues.
You'll be telling a poster next that the subway doesn't go up to Vaughan........hold on a minute !
Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by How long
You'll be telling a poster next that the subway doesn't go up to Vaughan........hold on a minute !
The Toronto subway? It doesn't go anywhere near Vaughan.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:01 pm
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Toronto subway? It doesn't go anywhere near Vaughan.
Priceless
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:12 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Priceless

...but it doesn't. The Yonge line goes up towards North York, the Spadina line stops at Downsview. Neither of which are in Vaughan. Which subway line are you thinking of - the extension that's not due to open for another three years?
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

...but it doesn't. The Yonge line goes up towards North York, the Spadina line stops at Downsview. Neither of which are in Vaughan. Which subway line are you thinking of - the extension that's not due to open for another three years?
I thought Novo and DDB could work as a comedy double act but I'm sure you could join them and make it a trio, this just gets better.
:r ofl:
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Novo and DDB could work as a comedy double act but I'm sure you could join them and make it a trio, this just gets better.
:r ofl:
No, I'm sorry, you'll have to help us out here. What is causing you such mirth?
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:50 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Irishlady
Hello,

I will be moving to Canada beginning of 2014. There is no work in Ireland and I need to espace!

I have a degree and postgraduate qualifications and speak fluent French. However, I am afraid I might not find work easily because of my age. I am 40.

Do employers discriminate against the over 40s when hiring in Canada?

Thanks,
Irishlady
Of course, age discrimination is illegal in Canada and employers can't and never ask for your DOB on the resume or at the interview. However in my opinion age still enters the equation in the workplace and when searching for work. I've heard subtle and not so subtle negative comments about age in the workplace.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 5:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishlady
Hello,

I will be moving to Canada beginning of 2014. There is no work in Ireland and I need to espace!

I have a degree and postgraduate qualifications and speak fluent French. However, I am afraid I might not find work easily because of my age. I am 40.

Do employers discriminate against the over 40s when hiring in Canada?

Thanks,
Irishlady
You should try to get a job with a provincial liquor board shop. They hire older people a lot.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:58 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Who would know you are over 40? My husband recently applied for a few telecom/radio jobs which he was well qualified for but got no replies. We stripped out the dates he spent in previous jobs/British Army and lo and behold he was contacted by phone and was hired without a formal interview. He is 57 years young
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Have you got a new job? Hope it's not too far away from bridge water
Yes I did! But it's in Halifax. Looking at moving closer to the city. Not too upset, no connections to Bridgewater and we wanted to be closer to Halifax anyway.

But very pleased with my new firm and new job!
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
No, I'm sorry, you'll have to help us out here. What is causing you such mirth?
It's hard to worm one's way into How Long's mind, but the best I can come up with is that he thought I was stating the obvious in my reply to CMOO.

As it happened, Irishlady clarified her visa situation in the very next post following mine (but interestingly hasn't replied to CMOO's follow up).

I'm sure the average passing poster is scarfing the whole thing up.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Yes I did! But it's in Halifax. Looking at moving closer to the city. Not too upset, no connections to Bridgewater and we wanted to be closer to Halifax anyway.

But very pleased with my new firm and new job!
Congrats, that's great news... My turn to look!!
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:42 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
You should try to get a job with a provincial liquor board shop. They hire older people a lot.
or Home Depot as well
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
As it happened, Irishlady clarified her visa situation in the very next post following mine (but interestingly hasn't replied to CMOO's follow up).
Although she hasn't been back to the forum since posting yesterday, so in fairness hasn't actually seen my follow up yet.

I know, there are people out there that don't log on several times a day. How peculiar!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:53 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
Who would know you are over 40? My husband recently applied for a few telecom/radio jobs which he was well qualified for but got no replies. We stripped out the dates he spent in previous jobs/British Army and lo and behold he was contacted by phone and was hired without a formal interview. He is 57 years young
Clever thinking....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.