Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Out of no where and now salary questions

Out of no where and now salary questions

Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all
Default Out of no where and now salary questions

any one got any insight to the salary range for Senior Environmental Engineer's in Vancouver.

I have been offered an interview and i have no idea what a reasonable range would be.

Google seems to be saying somewhere around the 100K mark? but its sketchy at best.. running from 62k - 148k

Any one can help at all. I have to let them know what my "expectations are" to be honest.. i didnt think it would go anywhere.
I know Vancouver is considered to be expensive ( housing wise) but is a mid priced family home rental 3 bed etc lifestyle do able on 100k

I am currently in OZ as part of the resource boom and have a 6 figure eye watering totally unsustainable pay. so i dont expect a like for like remuneration.. but i am looking at this opportunity as a subsidized look at canada for an adventure and it will also be good for my career (its in O&G... EIS type stuff)

so.. sorry for the ramble..

100k... about right.. to little.. to much?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:08 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Out of no where and now salary questions

I am guessing that you need 3 bedrooms because of a family? If so, being the sole bread winner on a 100k is about $6k per month take home.

Doable (even with a cheap used car) depending on where you live, but you wont be living the dream.

Thousands of families across the lower mainland are working for far less, and they survive perfectly fine. You just have to be sensible with money.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

thanks for that Danny

So.. not living the dream... does that mean the all we can look forward to is lunch out on a sat afternoon for the family... or can we be tourists.. see a bit of the place etc

i know its a bit of an open ended question... but here in OZ.. the money allows us to bank a few thousand every month and still not have to budget ( we dont go daft.. but i just bought lunch for the family for $90 and although i thought.. ouch.. i also thought.. meh
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:42 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Well according to this website the average 3 bedroom rental in Vancouver is $2,400 per month. That will leave you with roughly $3,500 each month.

Have a look at this website and punch in a few numbers.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

spot on fella... that will do nicely
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

yup.. as i thought...
if we look at it as a holiday.. and dont expect to have anything out of it but memories.. ( nil on the savings)

then..we mght be able to do the odd skiing trip etc

so.. now i need to push for more than $100k...
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tricky one, but I think Vancouver is quite expensive. There is tax on top of the groceries as well and that's annoying.

Best of luck in your journeys with your family
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for $140k.

Tell them it's a difficult question with out knowing the wider benefits and potential career progression but you may be prepared to negotiate.

They are all about wasting time and low balling in Canada so you may as well start high.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

All the provincial engineering associations publish salary surveys.
https://www.apeg.bc.ca/Careers/Compensation-Survey
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You could also push for a decent benefits package and relocation expenses including temporary accommodation costs for the first month.

Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:52 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeepSix
any one got any insight to the salary range for Senior Environmental Engineer's in Vancouver.

I have been offered an interview and i have no idea what a reasonable range would be.

Google seems to be saying somewhere around the 100K mark? but its sketchy at best.. running from 62k - 148k

Any one can help at all. I have to let them know what my "expectations are" to be honest.. i didnt think it would go anywhere.
I know Vancouver is considered to be expensive ( housing wise) but is a mid priced family home rental 3 bed etc lifestyle do able on 100k

I am currently in OZ as part of the resource boom and have a 6 figure eye watering totally unsustainable pay. so i dont expect a like for like remuneration.. but i am looking at this opportunity as a subsidized look at canada for an adventure and it will also be good for my career (its in O&G... EIS type stuff)

so.. sorry for the ramble..

Calculate your costs and what you believe you're worth. That's what you base your "expectation" on. If you figure that 100k is fair and will give you what you want then say 100k. If you figure 80 or 120 go with them.

Don't think that because the wage in Australia might be over the top that you need to disregard it entirely. If it comes out at something like 150k in CAD then say that to the employer here. Then if you do happen to figure 120k would do here you can mention that and already sound like you're doing them a favour
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:34 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeepSix

Senior is a pretty broad term here in BC. I'm labelled as a Senior Project Manager (Civil Engineering) over in Victoria. If you want to talk $$ drop me a PM.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

I got offered 86k and not looking forward to living on that .. Onward and upwards!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
It's a tricky one, but I think Vancouver is quite expensive. There is tax on top of the groceries as well and that's annoying.

Best of luck in your journeys with your family
Only on processed crap. There is no tax on real food.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Ask for $140k.

Tell them it's a difficult question with out knowing the wider benefits and potential career progression but you may be prepared to negotiate.

They are all about wasting time and low balling in Canada so you may as well start high.
I agree with this. Ask for more than you think you'll get. IT worked for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.