Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our story... Stay

Our story... Stay

Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our story... Stay

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Number plates though ?
Almost as daft as home videos of ATMs.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:05 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Almost as daft as home videos of ATMs.
Seriously ? Ya think so !!!

I can understand most of the OP post family ect and home sickness, but to list the size of the number plates on vehicles as part of the reason for wanting to go back to the UK ? "I must be missing some alternative meaning here yeh"

Anyhow, best thing to do would be just fly to the UK and have a few weeks rest.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Seriously ? Ya think so !!!

I can understand most of the OP post family ect and home sickness, but to list the size of the number plates on vehicles as part of the reason for wanting to go back to the UK ? "I must be missing some alternative meaning here yeh"

Anyhow, best thing to do would be just fly to the UK and have a few weeks rest.
Obviously its representative of a wider lack of due care and attention. Why do they [car number plates] have to so small and why do they [Canadians] always have to copy the Americans, even their bad practices and habits?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 4:40 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Obviously its representative of a wider lack of due care and attention. Why do they [car number plates] have to so small and why do they [Canadians] always have to copy the Americans, even their bad practices and habits?
Oh i see, so it could be a deep physiological aversion to the USA !! That's deep thinking an an obvious sign of of some one slipping into deep depression, I fully understand now and will no longer pursue the small number plate issues that the Op possesses.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

I think those of you picking holes in the OPs post are missing the point.

She's unhappy here, hasn't settled and probably can't really define the reason. When you are unhappy the trivial irritates the eff out of you. Every bloody thing gets on your nerves.

I know cos I was there.

It's grossly unfair and lacking in compassion to post about how wonderful your little spot of Canada is while putting her down for her post.
+1, rose coloured glasses don't fit everyone!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I think those of you picking holes in the OPs post are missing the point. She's unhappy here, hasn't settled and probably can't really define the reason. When you are unhappy the trivial irritates the eff out of you. Every bloody thing gets on your nerves.
and it does happen for many the way that you've described it

The OP who has not made many posts has likely made the decision of what she is going to do after further input from us lot... one of her last post #4 below

Originally Posted by Babsyclooney
Deep down we know what we have to do, and although we fell in love with Canada and its beautiful landscapes it doesn't seem enough to compare with the life we had at home.
Kind regards
Good luck with it

Last edited by not2old; Aug 28th 2013 at 5:45 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
and it does happen for many the way that you've described it

The OP who has not made many posts has likely made the decision of what she is going to do after further input from us lot... one of her last post #4 below

Good luck with it
Do you teach kindergarten?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:13 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
+1, rose coloured glasses don't fit everyone!
Here here, I agree. Oh ok, here's my +1 as well.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP talks about moving to Canada for the beauty of the place... but it sounds like they're living in an apartment in the city and fighting through traffic every day.

If we'd moved to live in the middle of Toronto I'd be wishing I was back in the UK too. We were in Glasgow, and came here to escape the city living (amongst other things). I'd suggest moving somewhere else in Canada before heading back to the UK - once you head back it starts to get expensive if you decide actually you want to try Canada again!
Our car insurance on arrival was $520/yr. I'm guessing that's one of the advantages of living in the countryside, but it's also proof in at least one respect that your complaints aren't *Canada* complaints, just Toronto complaints....
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:42 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Babsyclooney
All really great points to consider, and I appreciate your comments.

BATS-
I worked for a non profit hospice in Somerset, which we were fortunate enough to have our own allotment, and all food was homemade for the patients.
Why not try applying to a few hospices out in the countryside? They might not realise people such as you exist.