British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Our story so far. From Coventry to Vancouver (hopefully)! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/our-story-so-far-coventry-vancouver-hopefully-593964/)

Panz Feb 25th 2009 2:23 pm

Our story so far. From Coventry to Vancouver (hopefully)!

In the 1980’s my parents emigrated to Vancouver Island, B.C which is were I was born a few years later. For various reasons (too long to explain here) they ended up returning to the UK when I was 2 but they have always spoke about the place in a positive light and they class their time in B.C as some of the best years of their lives. Though I have no memories of the country, as I was too young when they left, I’ve always loved being in the country whenever I have been back there on holiday.

Ever since I was a teenager I have had dreams of moving back to Canada to live and I always planned to do that as soon as I finished University in 2004. As it happens in my second year of Uni (2003) I met the love of my life who later became my fiancée, so that put my immediate plans of moving on hold. I shared my dreams with her and she seemed really interested in it too so we spent a while discussing our options. I waited until my other half finished her course (we started at different dates) and we then decided we would then spend a few years gaining some work experience in the UK before we left. In 2005 we went on holiday to Vancouver to do some fact finding and to see if we liked the place, we fell in love with the place almost immediately. We acknowledged the fact we probably had our tinted glasses on whilst being tourists but still thought it had far more beauty, fun and interests than Coventry!

We then decided to start saving up for the big move whilst gaining promotions / experience in our current jobs here. Our original plan was to buy a house here and then sell it in a few years to hopefully make some money on it but we decided it wasn’t the right thing to do (I feel so lucky now we didn’t go down that route!). We carried on talking about it from 2005 - 2007 whilst saving as much as possible at the same time. We set a date in our head of September 2007 but that came and went and we hadn’t really progressed or researched enough, and it was still a dream.

In March 2008 we decided to knuckle down and kick our asses into gear and start looking at making our dream more of a reality. With no mortgage, no credit card debt, no loan, no overdraft, and no children we knew that this will be the easiest point of our lives to move (although it doesn’t always seem like it!). I have dual nationality and am currently waiting to receive my new Canadian passport (my old one expired and was from when I was a baby) in the post after sending the completed renewal form last week. We know I won’t have a problem getting in the country (well I hope not anyway) so I’m less concerned about finding employment before I arrive as we have savings to fall back on if needed. However with my OH being British we know she could only get a 6 month stay without a job so we knew it was best for her to find something before we arrived.

In September 2008 we renewed the rental agreement on our house in the UK for 6 months with no intention on extending it. We then began the laborious process of clearing out the house (which we still do weekly) and we limited purchasing anything but the bare essentials, well most of the time! My OH who is a registered mental health nurse began making contact with people in Canada and tried to source out what she needed to do. Around this time she spoke to a recruiter who advised her it was easiest to come across on a temporary work permit as it will be quicker to obtain than any other route so she decided this is what she would do. She has now had initial approval from the CRPNBC and we have paid the fee etc, this should be fully completed as soon as they receive documents from the uni, the NMC, and the notarised document from a solicitor proving she is who she says she is.

Last week she had a phone interview and was offered a job at the end of the call. The job sounds really interesting to her and she definitley wants to give it a go. The hospital staff are now waiting for her references and criminal background check to come back, once they receive them they can send her out a formal job offer letter which we will need for the TWP. We have only just found out about the LMO from reading these forums but hopefully it won’t be a problem and the contact at the Hospital will be able to explain how this will work.

In our heads we hope to be there now in 8-10 weeks, the house is on a month to month rent plan at the moment, and we only have 4 week notice periods in our jobs. I am just waiting for my Canadian passport to come through and hopefully once she has the job offer letter it should only be about a 6 week wait before the TWP is issued.

Our main concern is when we arrive in Canada and going though immigration after reading on the wiki she must : “Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires.” Our plan is to get her into the country on the TWP and then plan to apply for PNP instantly whilst there. If she is with me, a Canadian citizen, won’t they look at her and realise that she won’t be intending to return once the TWP ends? And if so, won’t this stop them from issuing the TWP at the POE? Would it even be feasible to explain our plan about applying for PNP once we have started living there etc or is this incredibly naive? We don't want to tell any lies and want to make this as transparent as possible, plus I think I have to be mentioned on her visa anyway so we couldn't even arrive on separate days etc and pretend I don't exist (and I'm really not keen to do this as I'm not a deceitful person).

We know things would probably be easier if we were married (which is our next plan!) but the expense of it all would use our savings which we are setting aside for the move.

I realise there may be big holes in my story about things I've forgot to mention so sorry if some of this seems a bit confusing (it's the most I've written for a long time!).

Thanks for taking the time to read our story and if you have any advice or any answers for us we would appreciate it so much!

Auld Yin Feb 25th 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Our story so far. From Coventry to Vancouver (hopefully)!

Can you not have a civil wedding before emigrating to eliminate that hurdle? If a fancy, expensive wedding is desired in the future then you will have the time and money without the pressure of possible expulsion from the country.

Panz Feb 25th 2009 3:13 pm

It's a possibility I guess but not something either of us want really (what I mean is we want to be married but not in this way). Plus I think there would still be a lot of paperwork to get her through as my wife (same timescale as TWP?).

kmcguinness Feb 25th 2009 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Panz (Post 7321903)
In the 1980’s my parents emigrated to Vancouver Island, B.C which is were I was born a few years later. For various reasons (too long to explain here) they ended up returning to the UK when I was 2 but they have always spoke about the place in a positive light and they class their time in B.C as some of the best years of their lives. Though I have no memories of the country, as I was too young when they left, I’ve always loved being in the country whenever I have been back there on holiday.

Ever since I was a teenager I have had dreams of moving back to Canada to live and I always planned to do that as soon as I finished University in 2004. As it happens in my second year of Uni (2003) I met the love of my life who later became my fiancée, so that put my immediate plans of moving on hold. I shared my dreams with her and she seemed really interested in it too so we spent a while discussing our options. I waited until my other half finished her course (we started at different dates) and we then decided we would then spend a few years gaining some work experience in the UK before we left. In 2005 we went on holiday to Vancouver to do some fact finding and to see if we liked the place, we fell in love with the place almost immediately. We acknowledged the fact we probably had our tinted glasses on whilst being tourists but still thought it had far more beauty, fun and interests than Coventry!

We then decided to start saving up for the big move whilst gaining promotions / experience in our current jobs here. Our original plan was to buy a house here and then sell it in a few years to hopefully make some money on it but we decided it wasn’t the right thing to do (I feel so lucky now we didn’t go down that route!). We carried on talking about it from 2005 - 2007 whilst saving as much as possible at the same time. We set a date in our head of September 2007 but that came and went and we hadn’t really progressed or researched enough, and it was still a dream.

In March 2008 we decided to knuckle down and kick our asses into gear and start looking at making our dream more of a reality. With no mortgage, no credit card debt, no loan, no overdraft, and no children we knew that this will be the easiest point of our lives to move (although it doesn’t always seem like it!). I have dual nationality and am currently waiting to receive my new Canadian passport (my old one expired and was from when I was a baby) in the post after sending the completed renewal form last week. We know I won’t have a problem getting in the country (well I hope not anyway) so I’m less concerned about finding employment before I arrive as we have savings to fall back on if needed. However with my OH being British we know she could only get a 6 month stay without a job so we knew it was best for her to find something before we arrived.

In September 2008 we renewed the rental agreement on our house in the UK for 6 months with no intention on extending it. We then began the laborious process of clearing out the house (which we still do weekly) and we limited purchasing anything but the bare essentials, well most of the time! My OH who is a registered mental health nurse began making contact with people in Canada and tried to source out what she needed to do. Around this time she spoke to a recruiter who advised her it was easiest to come across on a temporary work permit as it will be quicker to obtain than any other route so she decided this is what she would do. She has now had initial approval from the CRPNBC and we have paid the fee etc, this should be fully completed as soon as they receive documents from the uni, the NMC, and the notarised document from a solicitor proving she is who she says she is.

Last week she had a phone interview and was offered a job at the end of the call. The job sounds really interesting to her and she definitley wants to give it a go. The hospital staff are now waiting for her references and criminal background check to come back, once they receive them they can send her out a formal job offer letter which we will need for the TWP. We have only just found out about the LMO from reading these forums but hopefully it won’t be a problem and the contact at the Hospital will be able to explain how this will work.

In our heads we hope to be there now in 8-10 weeks, the house is on a month to month rent plan at the moment, and we only have 4 week notice periods in our jobs. I am just waiting for my Canadian passport to come through and hopefully once she has the job offer letter it should only be about a 6 week wait before the TWP is issued.

Our main concern is when we arrive in Canada and going though immigration after reading on the wiki she must : “Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires.” Our plan is to get her into the country on the TWP and then plan to apply for PNP instantly whilst there. If she is with me, a Canadian citizen, won’t they look at her and realise that she won’t be intending to return once the TWP ends? And if so, won’t this stop them from issuing the TWP at the POE? Would it even be feasible to explain our plan about applying for PNP once we have started living there etc or is this incredibly naive? We don't want to tell any lies and want to make this as transparent as possible, plus I think I have to be mentioned on her visa anyway so we couldn't even arrive on separate days etc and pretend I don't exist (and I'm really not keen to do this as I'm not a deceitful person).

We know things would probably be easier if we were married (which is our next plan!) but the expense of it all would use our savings which we are setting aside for the move.

I realise there may be big holes in my story about things I've forgot to mention so sorry if some of this seems a bit confusing (it's the most I've written for a long time!).

Thanks for taking the time to read our story and if you have any advice or any answers for us we would appreciate it so much!

Hi Panz, whose your wife's employer?

can PM if you want to with this... i am a registered nurse (adult nursing) and just got all the info from mine too, and the forms from CRNBC for the registration, awaiting LMO then can apply for TWP, LMO was applied for approx 8/9 days ago taking anything upto 6 weeks to come through. you'll need medicals as well wont you?

k

Panz Feb 26th 2009 10:59 am

I'm not sure who her employer is (and she is my fiancee not wife yet) I'll have to ask her, it is for Riverview Hospital in Port Coquitlam.

Do you need LMO before you can apply for the TWP or can you get them concurrently? We haven't been passed any information regarding a medical just yet though I assume she will need one.

kmcguinness Feb 26th 2009 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Panz (Post 7324895)
I'm not sure who her employer is (and she is my fiancee not wife yet) I'll have to ask her, it is for Riverview Hospital in Port Coquitlam.

Do you need LMO before you can apply for the TWP or can you get them concurrently? We haven't been passed any information regarding a medical just yet though I assume she will need one.

oops sorry, soon to be wife then!!!

You can apply for the TWP concurrently, to do this you will need proof from your fiancee's employer that they have applied for the LMO (copy of a letter, a form or whatever they use to request the LMO) if you can get them to email you a copy then you can apply for the TWP now and state you want concurrent processing- i found this info the other day in the wiki section, click on the canada link and then the immigration section it is in there (sorry dont have the direct link)

Yes she will require a medical, when it gets to that point in your TWP processing , she will be asked to go and have one and the results are sent to London. the TWP my friends TWP took a further 7 weeks once she'd had her medical.

STILL awaiting my LMO, emailed for proof but still nothing. I'm not sure if my employer covers Riverview Hospital.

Goodluck to you both
k

Panz Feb 26th 2009 7:27 pm

Thank you for the advice K! That sounds a lot more encouraging, hopefully by the end of next week at the latest all of the references and stuff will be through and we might get a bit more info on the LMO.

Can anybody help me with the other questions I mentioned in my first post regarding the TWP issuance at the POE?

kmcguinness Feb 26th 2009 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Panz (Post 7326573)
Thank you for the advice K! That sounds a lot more encouraging, hopefully by the end of next week at the latest all of the references and stuff will be through and we might get a bit more info on the LMO.

Can anybody help me with the other questions I mentioned in my first post regarding the TWP issuance at the POE?

Your welcome Panz,

just to update you further, the employer has just emailed me my positive LMO approx 10mins ago...at last

its taken 12 days from them applying for it to it being returned back to my employer and she emailed it to me today.

good luck
kae

JonboyE Feb 26th 2009 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Panz (Post 7326573)

Maybe you can ask this is in the immigration section. I don't think it is a problem (plenty of people arrive on a TWP with the intention of applying for PR) but there will be people there who know for sure.