Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

our shipping company search

our shipping company search

Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: our shipping company search

Originally Posted by Claren
We looked at self pack to keep costs down but decided on them doing it (was only about £1000 dearer) and Boy are we glad we did. 2 men came and wrapped all of our stuff, in a way that we never would have been able to. At the time it seems a viable option to self pack (how hard can it be, eh) but I seriously doubt I could have managed it, having seen them do it. If you have 20 mates to help you pack and load ( and don't forget the 20 mates at the other end to help unpack!!) then yes, go for it, if not, think realistically about what is involved
We've come to the same conclusion about self load. Great if you have help on hand - not so great if you're on your own with 3 kids hanging around. I think some people have had substantial savings, but we worked our savings out to be about £1k too. And if for any reason my OH ends up going out early.... well, I'd be paying another £500 to get them to load anyway as no way can I do it myself.

Our quotes so far have all been around the same for a 20ft container - around £4300 from the Borders to Nova Scotia. GB Liners; Fox; PSS; Moving Partnership. None have impressed or dismayed me above any other. It will come down to cost in the end and who is prepared to budge.

One expressed some concern about moving mid June (very busy apparently), but could have been just to worry us into committing. The Moving Partnership said it was no problem and have so far just quoted ball park figure - should be coming out to us in the next week or so (no rush, they said - also we are in the process of getting rid of a lot of stuff).

GB Liners I had to chase to get the quote.

Might also get Whites to quote, - then that's me done - decision time.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Kitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to all

So glad I came across this thread, we've had three quotes now from GB Liners, Pickfords & Whites. GB Liners are my preferred choice as the man who came to the house seemed very knowledgeable & gave us some great advice on issues the other two had neglected to mention, for instance, ensuring tent was clean of mud and potential issues importing whicker baskets etc. we got the quote back the next day but sadly it was £400 more than the others and although they've tried to reduce it by £150, it still seems too much compared to the other two (we only need 240cft groupage, so large variations in price do matter!). My least favourite was Whites as the man seemed clueless and didnt fill me with confidence. Having said that it is quite reassuring to know other forum members have had positive experiences with them, they've provided the cheapest quote so far so didn't want to completely knock them out the running...
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

gemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, my things are being collected next week by Movecorp to go to calgary, there are 2 wicker baskets but no one has told me about any trouble with these, could you let me know what you have heard please? Thanks do much
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Kitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to all

Hi Gemma,

As wicker is a natural product it may need to get it treated for of pests or diseases. You would need to cover the cost and it could hold things up a bit in terms of releasing all of your goods due to the paperwork...we've decided that it just isnt worth the trouble (even though i love my baskets )
Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitslane
Hi Gemma,

As wicker is a natural product it may need to get it treated for of pests or diseases. You would need to cover the cost and it could hold things up a bit in terms of releasing all of your goods due to the paperwork...we've decided that it just isnt worth the trouble (even though i love my baskets )
I was planning to bring over a pine bedroom suite so it being a natural product will that be a problem!

Thanks Granma Nessie
Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

I recall seeing it somewhere (of course, can't remember where) that it was Australia who were really strict about things like wicker.

Soil, however, is certainly an issue for Canada.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

What the man said from GB Liners was that you can certainly take it, but just to be aware that the CBSA may decide that the wicker etc may need to be fumigated which comes at your expense and may delay the release of all your shipped goods. I have a lovely small basket which cost a small fortune but it is small enough to fit into my luggage so will take it that way and hope for the best. The log basket and wicker 'trunk', i'll probably give away

I think Solid Pine furniture should be fine (we're taking solid wood furniture which is fine)...it's more the wicker / cane as it could be hollow, harbouring pests etc.

I think Oz is much stricter from what I hear!!!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

What the man said from GB Liners was that you can certainly take it, but just to be aware that the CBSA may decide that the wicker etc may need to be fumigated which comes at your expense and may delay the release of all your shipped goods. I have a lovely small basket which cost a small fortune but it is small enough to fit into my luggage so will take it that way and hope for the best. The log basket and wicker 'trunk', i'll probably give away

I think Solid Pine furniture should be fine (we're taking solid wood furniture which is fine)...it's more the wicker / cane as it could be hollow, harbouring pests etc.

Thanks for that info,Kitslane, one less thing to worry about.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

The man from GB Liners never mentioned any problem with wicker to us and we have wicker chairs, baskets, trunks etc.

The docs he sent us mention:

Firewood; and
Wood packaging

and a link to:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca

Which leads to:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/f.../1300381713474

Can't see any specific mention of wicker but would probably need an expert to translate all the regulations....
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:04 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

You can bring pine furniture and wicker in your shipment.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Just been searching the forum - seems lots of removal companies do say no wicker yet no-one (so far) has had an issue.

Bamboo, however, was mentioned as possibly being a problem.

We've got a chair we call the "Chinese chair" - a bit like a conservatory chair but I have no idea what wood it is. Could be bamboo - how would I know?

That is probably the one thing made of whatever it is that I DO want to take.

I'll chuck out the bamboo garden stakes...
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

There is not a problem taking it, what the GB Liners man was trying to express was that depending on the officer, they may require the wicker etc to be fumigated which you have to pay for and creates extra paperwork which can delay things. For us, the cost of replacing our wicker items (a log basket & trunk) means it just isnt worth the risk of having to pay for fumigation etc. but obviously for larger items it may be more worthwhile - he did quote some regulations but cant find them now. Of course he may have been mistaken, so perhaps worthwhile asking your shipping company?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

According to AIRS no restrictions on wicker

http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/Ai...ns.aspx?lang=1
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
According to AIRS no restrictions on wicker

http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/Ai...ns.aspx?lang=1
Blimey, with my paranoia I could spend hours on that site.

Bamboo does seem to be a problem.

I think my chair is rattan, but honestly don't know for sure as it was a "freecycle" find. What will happen if I am questioned as to what it is?

I expect we will get an agricultural inspection as we're moving from a rural area - is that a certainty?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Blimey, with my paranoia I could spend hours on that site.

Bamboo does seem to be a problem.

I think my chair is rattan, but honestly don't know for sure as it was a "freecycle" find. What will happen if I am questioned as to what it is?

I expect we will get an agricultural inspection as we're moving from a rural area - is that a certainty?
No certainty on an exam from a rural area it all depends on the type of goods in the shipment. Tools, outdoor gardening tools etc etc are high risk but clothing furniture etc are not.
If unsure and worried then leave it its not like we dont have cheap crap over here to replace it with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.