Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our Landing Experience!

Our Landing Experience!

Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:47 am
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default Our Landing Experience!

After a week of being in Nova Scotia, I now have some time to post our landing experience!

We flew from Manchester to Halifax via Philadelphia with US Airways. Flying through the USA was interesting, as it always is. Immigration seem to treat the queue of people waiting to enter like dogs. One of the immigration officers even whistled at the passengers to beckon them over when it was their turn After a 7 hour wait in Philadelphia, we finally boarded for Halifax and landed at 11.30pm.

The Canadian immigration officers were superb from the word go and seemed really happy to see us. I had been really worried about landing so late but everything went quickly and smoothly. We queued up in the usual line with everyone else and then explained to the officer behind the counter we wished to activate our PR visas. She quickly checked our passports, made a phone call and directed us to where we needed to go. Our paperwork was processed very quickly after a few routine questions and our CoPR papers were stapled into our passports. Customs was very straightforward. I had our goods to follow and goods accompanying at the ready, which were checked and stamped. The customs officer was very helpful and talked us through what would happen when our goods arrived. We were done in 45 minutes from start to finish. Looking back now, there was nothing to stress or worry about. I can't stress just how nice the officers were and they put us at ease immediately. We also got a whole bunch of "welcome to Canada" and a lot of hand shaking!

Now on to settling down! I wish everyone still in the process all the best and it really is all worth it in the end!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice
Default Re: Our Landing Experience!

welcome to canada you have arrived just in time for the warmer weather
Old Mar 20th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to NS! So pleased everything worked out for you and hopefully we'll get together soon.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

bryandd is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great beginning. Glad that it went so well for you. Hope that you really enjoy your new life in Canada.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:50 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Yay congrats welcome to NS! A great week for it see you all soon!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:54 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Nova Scotia. It's a good place to be. Good luck in your new life.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada and best wishes for your new life here
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:17 am
Just Joined

debbie2801 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by engineer80
After a week of being in Nova Scotia, I now have some time to post our landing experience!

We flew from Manchester to Halifax via Philadelphia with US Airways. Flying through the USA was interesting, as it always is. Immigration seem to treat the queue of people waiting to enter like dogs. One of the immigration officers even whistled at the passengers to beckon them over when it was their turn After a 7 hour wait in Philadelphia, we finally boarded for Halifax and landed at 11.30pm.

The Canadian immigration officers were superb from the word go and seemed really happy to see us. I had been really worried about landing so late but everything went quickly and smoothly. We queued up in the usual line with everyone else and then explained to the officer behind the counter we wished to activate our PR visas. She quickly checked our passports, made a phone call and directed us to where we needed to go. Our paperwork was processed very quickly after a few routine questions and our CoPR papers were stapled into our passports. Customs was very straightforward. I had our goods to follow and goods accompanying at the ready, which were checked and stamped. The customs officer was very helpful and talked us through what would happen when our goods arrived. We were done in 45 minutes from start to finish. Looking back now, there was nothing to stress or worry about. I can't stress just how nice the officers were and they put us at ease immediately. We also got a whole bunch of "welcome to Canada" and a lot of hand shaking!

Now on to settling down! I wish everyone still in the process all the best and it really is all worth it in the end!
Similarly, we arrived 5th April and were surprised that everything went so smoothly!! We didn't have anything stapled in our passports though.....just copies of the PR confirmation given to us. Here's hoping the rest of getting organised works out well also........Although now have SIN and MSI numbers and cards - didn't even know what they were until we arrived.

We have been coming here for years for holidays and for my husband to do his physiotherapy exams and thought we were prepped - even struggled to activate a 'pay as you go' mobile - as couldn't work out what the 'pound key' was. Thank you again to the nice people who are able to point us in the right direction. There always seems to be one in the queue in Tim's, a neighbour, someone in the supermarket etc! Here's hoping that this mentality continues as it's refreshing.......even the lady in HSBC didn't treat us as a nuisance and getting in the way of her sitting down time! She's never do well in our local branch at home with that sort of helpful attitude!

Even though having been 'landed' for less than a week, we're slowly getting through the steps and this web-site helps hugely!! Good luck Engineer 80, here's to all of our new lives.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Wow CBSA officers getting compliments I might have to frame that reply
The process beforehand can appear to be stressful and full of what ifs but if you are prepared and follow a few rules then its a breeze.
When waiting in line for the 1st officer you will see (Primary Officer) have your passport and declaration card in your hand not in the elusive black hole commonly known as a womans handbag.
Do not be using crackberries or texting that is why in most cases you will hear BSOs whistling, shouting Oi or Next. Customs is not like Walmart and there is no voice saying please go to 6 or please go to 3.
When asked purpose of your trip simply state 'We are landing and need to see Immigration" No life stories needed.
From then on its simple COPR forms processed by Immigration and then onto Customs for goods to follow.
Although our Agency thinks we are all one big happy family CBSA we still use the terms Immigration & Customs.
If you come prepared then its easy.
If you come with an attitude well it might not be a pleasant experience.
And yes even CBSA officers have bad days as well so if its OK for you to have one then why cant I.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I'll second that - my landing experience (posted some time back) was very pleasant and smooth too. I think I was in and out of immigration in less than 5 minutes.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:09 am
Just Joined

debbie2801 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The process beforehand can appear to be stressful and full of what ifs but if you are prepared and follow a few rules then its a breeze.
When waiting in line for the 1st officer you will see (Primary Officer) have your passport and declaration card in your hand not in the elusive black hole commonly known as a womans handbag.
Do not be using crackberries or texting that is why in most cases you will hear BSOs whistling, shouting Oi or Next. Customs is not like Walmart and there is no voice saying please go to 6 or please go to 3.
When asked purpose of your trip simply state 'We are landing and need to see Immigration" No life stories needed.
From then on its simple COPR forms processed by Immigration and then onto Customs for goods to follow.
Although our Agency thinks we are all one big happy family CBSA we still use the terms Immigration & Customs.
If you come prepared then its easy.
If you come with an attitude well it might not be a pleasant experience.
And yes even CBSA officers have bad days as well so if its OK for you to have one then why cant I.
If you can pass back the positive comments Former Lancastrian then that'll continue to help those coming to NS - as the CBSA approach made an unknown experience so much less stressful than expected! The only struggle we had was the size of the COPR documents - supposedly, you're not to bend them but they are quite long.....and therefore, what do you do with them on the flight - these are apparently the new ones and even when they're copied for MSI etc, they don't fit, so have to be copied twice. Anyway, again our thanks. Not often do people take the time to say when something goes really well, often the opposite, BE helps to let others not be so daunted!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the size of the new COPR forms are causing problems
Its a shame that CIC/CBSA Disney Land (Ottawa) dont think of these things when developing new procedures and forms.
My guess is that we will be receiving a bulletin from HQ Ottawa reminding POE and Inland Offices that they are receiving COPR forms that have been folded and please ensure that the forms are not folded.
Obviously replying to such a bulletin or internal email that it is in fact that it is the travellers who are folding them because of their size will fall on deaf ears