Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our first month New Brunswick, so far.......

Our first month New Brunswick, so far.......

Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our first month New Brunswick, so far.......

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
This avenue apparently is as follows.....Minimum 3yrs temp res permit, then a period of perm res permit, then applications (if one wants to) for citizenship.

Along with first application for temp extensions one need to provides copies of UK passport, proof of ability to survive (money, etc.), reason for application to stay.

At present Alberta must receive application 30 days before your initial six month visa expires.
But they dont have to OK an extension, and after the first extension it gets harder and harder to convince them.

Please post a link to this 3 years business...its plain wrong, you can apply for PR from day one.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:12 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

This avenue apparently is as follows.....Minimum 3yrs temp res permit, then a period of perm res permit, then applications (if one wants to) for citizenship.
Again, I ask for one's source that one needs a "Minimum 3yrs temp res permit".

As has been mentioned beforehand:

Originally Posted by iaink
you can apply as soon as you get of the plane if you want, as long as your temp status is valid long enough to allow them time to process you through Buffalo.
Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I believe you can apply for PR as soon as you like.
Would one be so kind to as provide us with the source for one's information that you need a "Minimum 3yrs temp res permit" otherwise one here believes that you are posting misleading and inaccurate information.

Thanks.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

I checked it out at source, it has changed now, there used to be a path of having upto 3yrs worth of temp. status, but not now.
It appears that CIS has been instucted to help reverse the reduction in general population, by looking at each request individualy now.
As most people leaving Canada are the long term tax payers, Canada needs new tax sources, so the points were reduced to let in people, at present. :scared:
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:37 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I have.............

All with a temp. visa in passports-

Rented accom. $1000 per month
Got auto insurance with UK licences $2000 for six months
Bought a new car $41000
Opened a bank account with TD Canada Trust, funds moved from HSBC in three days, proof of address using car registration and insurance documents.
Viewed and left 5% deposit on new home.

It is easy with forward planning and politeness, to acheive here, anything you want to, ignore the horror stories !
I don't want to burst your bubble or sound cyanical, but ....

Are you saying that in a month you have opened a bank account and forked out a load of money and claiming that this is all down to "forward planning"?

I appreciate that you have capital, and am presuming that you are both not working (therefore have six days a week free). So the question is:

What have you been doing the rest of the time?

The first four things on your list would take about 4 days at the very max.

Last edited by Iginla; Feb 27th 2005 at 10:46 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Iginla
I don't want to burst your bubble or sound cyanical, but ....

Are you saying that in a month you have opened a bank account and forked out a load of money and claiming that this is all down to "forward planning"?

I appreciate that you have capital, and am presuming that you are both not working (therefore have six days a week free). So the question is:

What have you been doing the rest of the time?

The first four things on your list would take about 4 days at the very max.
BUILDIN` SNOWMEN !!!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hi Steve,

What kind of transfer did you use? We need to take some money over again soon and Mr B is going with Scotiabank for his Canadian bank, he's completely ditching HSBC. I've always done it HSBC UK draft - HSBC Canada with no probs, but now we need to know how it works to a third party bank. Any details gratefully received! Was it an electronic transfer? Costly? Three days would be wonderful if we could do it in that too

Biiiiink
Go to your UK bank and speak with the lost soul who sits at the desk in the foyer area, ask to set up a fax indemnity, it enables you to have money sent UK to Canada in three days.

It works like this........ You send signed fax to your branch(not a call centre)
Your bank has a record of your signature, they forward the loot to the details you have sent in fax.

We include a copy of a blank cheque with "void" written across it, the cheque is to our Canadian chequing(current)account.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Go to your UK bank and speak with the lost soul who sits at the desk in the foyer area, ask to set up a fax indemnity, it enables you to have money sent UK to Canada in three days.

It works like this........ You send signed fax to your branch(not a call centre)
Your bank has a record of your signature, they forward the loot to the details you have sent in fax.

We include a copy of a blank cheque with "void" written across it, the cheque is to our Canadian chequing(current)account.
I forgot to add.......we are HSBC to TD Canada Trust !

ALSO SEND FAX WHEN IT IS ABOUT 2PM UK, & NOT AFTER THEIR HOURS, AS SOME CROOKED CLEANER MIGHT GET YOUR DETAILS AND SEND IT TO ALBANIA OR RUSSIA !!!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:02 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla

What is your source for this?

Do you mean that you must be residing as a permanent resident for a min of three years before applying for citizenship?
that's wrong anyway, you can apply from PR while you are landing/ have a temp work visa in process/ before you apply for a temp visa.

Applying for PR after you have been working for a year just gives you 15 more points for your PR application....
Old Feb 28th 2005, 10:46 pm
Deep in the red C.

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
that's wrong anyway, you can apply from PR while you are landing/ have a temp work visa in process/ before you apply for a temp visa.

Applying for PR after you have been working for a year just gives you 15 more points for your PR application....
Hence the reason for questioning it.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:32 pm
Glaswegian

Or you can just take a UK sterling cheque into your Canadian bank and pay it straight into your $account. Takes a while to release the funds but its very simple for regular smaller amounts.

Mrs G

Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Or you can just take a UK sterling cheque into your Canadian bank and pay it straight into your $account. Takes a while to release the funds but its very simple for regular smaller amounts.

Mrs G
Yeh, I do that for other stuff...it was the "three days" from Steve's post that interested me.

I'm still not sure what transfer method your bank used Steve? I have fax indemnity on my canadian account but it's not a transfer method, just authority to deal with my requests via fax. Was it a Swift or something? Only ever used electronic transfer to Canada once and it took a lot longer than three days but no problem if you can't remember, I guess we'll figure a speedier one out

Biiiiink
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

I checked it out at source, it has changed now, there used to be a path of having upto 3yrs worth of temp. status, but not now.
It appears that CIS has been instucted to help reverse the reduction in general population, by looking at each request individualy now.
As most people leaving Canada are the long term tax payers, Canada needs new tax sources, so the points were reduced to let in people, at present. :scared:
Hi Steve

What kind of visa did you apply for?

Was it a business visa through the federal chanel or PNP for New brunswick or skilled worker through either?

We are looking into the different visa's available at the moment to see if we qualify for any of them, but I havn't heard of the way you've done it before exept for the BC regional business plan PNP which sounds a bit simmilar.
They give you a temporary work permit for 2 years to start your business and at some stage send your pnp to the feds for medical and police checks before giving you full PR.

My concern with these ways are that you can relocate your whole life and family, set up a successful business but be kicked out if something comes up on your medical 2 years down the line.
It just doesn't feel secure to me.

pennyhp
Old Mar 1st 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Hi Steve

What kind of visa did you apply for?

Was it a business visa through the federal chanel or PNP for New brunswick or skilled worker through either?

We are looking into the different visa's available at the moment to see if we qualify for any of them, but I havn't heard of the way you've done it before exept for the BC regional business plan PNP which sounds a bit simmilar.
They give you a temporary work permit for 2 years to start your business and at some stage send your pnp to the feds for medical and police checks before giving you full PR.

My concern with these ways are that you can relocate your whole life and family, set up a successful business but be kicked out if something comes up on your medical 2 years down the line.
It just doesn't feel secure to me.

pennyhp
I fully understand and agree with your cautions as you are a family with children and extended issues.
We are a husband & wife team who sold up and arrived on temp res visa`s, the clock is ticking down on us, if it does not work for us (apply change of conditions/extension)we have the luxury of using our return tickets to UK and settling for Scotland.
Of course we want New Brunswick but we are not against the wall at all.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Hey there,

Post something about reality and hard facts. Waiting to hear from you.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

I fully understand and agree with your cautions as you are a family with children and extended issues.
We are a husband & wife team who sold up and arrived on temp res visa`s, the clock is ticking down on us, if it does not work for us (apply change of conditions/extension)we have the luxury of using our return tickets to UK and settling for Scotland.
Of course we want New Brunswick but we are not against the wall at all.
Hi again

We have now decided that we are going to apply for New Brunswick on a business visa.
We will be coming out in May to have an exploritary visit.
If you have any comments about day to day life there we would be very greatful.

Also I know you said you are driving on a UK license, but do you know if you can swap it for a New Brunswick one or do you have to take a test?

By the way wherabout are you in New Brunswick and what made you choos that area?

Thanks
Pennyhp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.