Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our first month New Brunswick, so far.......

Our first month New Brunswick, so far.......

Old Feb 25th 2005, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Our first month New Brunswick, so far.......

My wife and I have.............

All with a temp. visa in passports-

Rented accom. $1000 per month
Got auto insurance with UK licences $2000 for six months
Bought a new car $41000
Opened a bank account with TD Canada Trust, funds moved from HSBC in three days, proof of address using car registration and insurance documents.
Viewed and left 5% deposit on new home.

It is easy with forward planning and politeness, to acheive here, anything you want to, ignore the horror stories !
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:22 pm
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our first month New Brunswick, so far.......

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0

Bought a new car $41000
Opened a bank account with TD Canada Trust, funds moved from HSBC in three days, proof of address using car registration and insurance documents.

It is easy with forward planning and politeness, to acheive here, anything you want to, ignore the horror stories !

Thanks for this refreshing message. Very positive!! We needed that!!!

Regards

MCC
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

nodrog is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there

have you gone over on temp visa and then start your new life.can you apply for permanant citizenship that way.i want to try canada but with the stories you read just applying from the uk puts me off.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Happy for you *S* and yes forward planning is the key.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a new car $41000

Errrr, what kind of car did you buy for $41,000 Cnd????? Is it gold plated? Must be a SUV or a Hummer or something like that. Heck there are places where you can buy a house for that price ;-(

Hey, Congratulations ... I love New Brunswick ... beautiful lush countryside.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

Bought a new car $41000

and to add to that, i was brousing properties in NB they are awesum value, what are you renting for C$1000 a month a Mansion ?, but all the same well done and good luck, iam speaking with Trucking companies there, got some bad report about Yanke and Westcan of late......... worrying.. so rethinking plans. on lines of a B&B me and wife were chatting. any views.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

All with a temp. visa in passports........
We will apply for a further Temp. Visa. With proof of ability to exist on our finances whilst we open a small B&B in our new home.
One must reside for a min. of 3yrs on Temp. Visas. before applying for Permanent Residence.

Re: our car purchase, we bought SUV, one can buy standard for $12000 new, we chose luxury, cause we can!!!

Re: our rented home, we pay $1000 per month all in, with a view of the bay, one can of course rent for as low as $350 a month, but that will get you a sink estate type environment, it`s your choice, just make it Gang !!!

We have no children with us, so of course sellin` up in the UK and coming to Canada, was simple, if both in the marriage want it !

If we are (and we have had none yet) given hurdles from officials to jump, we can, if it becomes to much just sell home & car, recover 85% min. of outlays and go back to UK !!!
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

dinger44 is an unknown quantity at this point

nice one mate.

its nice to hear a positive story.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:52 am
Glaswegian

I'm pleased its working for you but you should be aware:

1) You just insulted a lot of people
2) Everybody comes to succeed - nobody comes to fail
3) Everybody forward plans but things can happen to trash the plans.

Mrs G

Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:59 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

One must reside for a min. of 3yrs on Temp. Visas. before applying for Permanent Residence.

What is your source for this?

Do you mean that you must be residing as a permanent resident for a min of three years before applying for citizenship?
Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:27 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, you can apply as soon as you get of the plane if you want, as long as your temp status is valid long enough to allow them time to process you through Buffalo. Maybe confusing it with Citizenship? Once you have PR then you have to have three years residency to apply for citizenship (but time as a temp resident counts as "half time", up to 2 years worth), so technically if you've been on a WP for two years, and then get PR, you can apply after two years as a PR for citizenship.

WP...if you lose your job you are screwed, cant work for anyone else.
PR...If you leave the country for too long you are screwed
Citizen...Watch out for jury duty, other than that, do what you want, go where you want.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:28 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Iginla
Do you mean that you must be residing as a permanent resident for a min of three years before applying for citizenship?
Nope ... I believe you can apply for PR as soon as you like.

The three year rule is for citizenship ... time on a temp visa before becoming a PR counts at a half rate towards the total time ... you can't go from temp visa to citizen without having been a PR somewhere in the middle.

Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,

What kind of transfer did you use? We need to take some money over again soon and Mr B is going with Scotiabank for his Canadian bank, he's completely ditching HSBC. I've always done it HSBC UK draft - HSBC Canada with no probs, but now we need to know how it works to a third party bank. Any details gratefully received! Was it an electronic transfer? Costly? Three days would be wonderful if we could do it in that too

Biiiiink
Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future

Bought a new car $41000

At last, more eports of good news!!

Sent PM
Old Feb 27th 2005, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bought a new car $41000

If one reaseaches, one will discover that one can print off from Immigration all one needs to apply for an extension to one`s stay, once here on one`s six month temp visa that UK passports collect when first arriving.

One completes and sends as directed to the office in Alberta enclosing the $200 per head as instructed on the form.

This avenue apparently is as follows.....Minimum 3yrs temp res permit, then a period of perm res permit, then applications (if one wants to) for citizenship.

Along with first application for temp extensions one need to provides copies of UK passport, proof of ability to survive (money, etc.), reason for application to stay.

At present Alberta must receive application 30 days before your initial six month visa expires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.