Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our fact finding trip to Vancouver

Our fact finding trip to Vancouver

Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

The Robinsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our fact finding trip to Vancouver

We just wanted to share some of our thoughts and information to others looking to move to Canada.

We stopped in Surrey BC in a fantastic 3 bed converted basement - 5 star quality and hospitality.... highly recommended www.jemmboutiquesuite.com

We have just got back from our 2 week trip to Vancouver. Part holiday and part fact finding (not enough time at all). Having made the concious decision to begin the emigration process we thought it wise to go and check out our potential new home.
I think the most important tip we could give is to take off the rose tinted glasses, there are many plus points to moving but there are many minus points. I think the biggest suprise was the cost of living, food is as, if not more expensive than the UK as are a good deal of other consumer items such as clothes and house furnishings.
The grid system road networks were scary as hell to begin with but you soon get used to stop, start, stop, start (thank god for automatic gears)

We were booked to see a consultant whilst over there - Shadi Norman. Unfortunately she let us down and when we arrived at her house at the time and date she told us we were informed she was still in bed and no appointment had been made.. oh well stiff upper lip!

There were some spectacular sights to see and the massive investment is obvious, new roads, new housing developments everywhere but you do get to see the other side of the coin with some streets lined with homeless folk and beggers walking up and down. Mind you when I was asked to give a few cents to a begger he was very polite

I was taken aback by the niceness of every one. All the canadian people we came into contact with were so sincere and genuine, nothing seemed too much trouble, always polite and SMILING!! Now you don't find that in the UK.

We did many miles travelling and saw some breathtaking sights - like standing on the top of Grouse mountain. Great places to visit were Stanley Park, White Rock (good beach for the kids), Steveston, Vancouver aquarium.
I would suggest you avoid the main Zoo, it looked badly maintained, and animal welfare was definately lacking.

Back home we can now reflect and for us moving is the right thing but know it will be hard work.
If there are any snippets of information that might be of any ue to anyone else just drop us a line..

Jon & Connie
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our fact finding trip to Vancouver

Hello

I too am going to be moving to Vancouver - hopefully in August this year.

I was taken aback by the amount of homeless people aswell. Seems there are alot of them, and no real social network to assist them. Again, I remember them being very polite and non agressive as they can be in the UK...

Vancouver is expensive, and that is just a 'given'. I guess you pay for what you get really, and I can't say I've been to a city more beautiful that it.

I am going with my eyes wide open, and having done a recce feel I have at least done my research. It won't ever be the same as living there....!

Good Luck to you!

B
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:08 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

That is a really great report, Jon and Connie. It sounds as if you put your time to good use, as bandit also did when she went on her recce. I believe it's useful for people who have not yet been to Canada to read your comments. You seem to have gone in with your eyes open and to have returned with a realistic assessment.

All the best with your plans.
x
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:56 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonandconnie
Great places to visit were ... White Rock ...
You are obviously people of great taste and refinement.

I remember a few years ago we were walking along the seawall of Stanley Park. I can't remember why, but it was almost deserted. Deserted that is, apart from one guy in disheveled clothing who was walking slowly towards us shouting and screaming, effing and blinding, and shaking his fist alternately to the sky and to the city.

"Oh ****" I thought, this is going to be nasty.

About five yards away from us he suddenly stopped and looked at us. Maybe he saw the look of concern (or possibly fear) in our eyes. "Oh, I'm sorry" he said and walked around us, maintaining his distance. Once he was five yards passed us he said "Have a great day", then continued on his way shouting and screaming, effing and blinding, and shaking his fist alternately to the sky and to the city.

Everyone seems to be polite here.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

The Robinsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandit
Hello

I too am going to be moving to Vancouver - hopefully in August this year.

I was taken aback by the amount of homeless people aswell. Seems there are alot of them, and no real social network to assist them. Again, I remember them being very polite and non agressive as they can be in the UK...

Vancouver is expensive, and that is just a 'given'. I guess you pay for what you get really, and I can't say I've been to a city more beautiful that it.

I am going with my eyes wide open, and having done a recce feel I have at least done my research. It won't ever be the same as living there....!

Good Luck to you!

B
thanks Bandit
I hope all goes well for you to..

I only found out today about those stickers on the car number plate with a month and year, turns out you re-register your car once a year and it onlt costs £70. My crappy old Vauxhall van is due for tax and it has gone up to £99 for six months.. guess where I would rather be??
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Bandit
I hope all goes well for you to..

I only found out today about those stickers on the car number plate with a month and year, turns out you re-register your car once a year and it onlt costs £70. My crappy old Vauxhall van is due for tax and it has gone up to £99 for six months.. guess where I would rather be??
Eh?

No - the sticker on the licence plate is proof of insurance, which is far more expensive than you're likely to be paying in the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

We just wanted to share some of our thoughts and information to others looking to move to Canada.

We stopped in Surrey BC in a fantastic 3 bed converted basement - 5 star quality and hospitality.... highly recommended www.jemmboutiquesuite.com

We have just got back from our 2 week trip to Vancouver. Part holiday and part fact finding (not enough time at all). Having made the concious decision to begin the emigration process we thought it wise to go and check out our potential new home.
I think the most important tip we could give is to take off the rose tinted glasses, there are many plus points to moving but there are many minus points. I think the biggest suprise was the cost of living, food is as, if not more expensive than the UK as are a good deal of other consumer items such as clothes and house furnishings.
The grid system road networks were scary as hell to begin with but you soon get used to stop, start, stop, start (thank god for automatic gears)

We were booked to see a consultant whilst over there - Shadi Norman. Unfortunately she let us down and when we arrived at her house at the time and date she told us we were informed she was still in bed and no appointment had been made.. oh well stiff upper lip!

There were some spectacular sights to see and the massive investment is obvious, new roads, new housing developments everywhere but you do get to see the other side of the coin with some streets lined with homeless folk and beggers walking up and down. Mind you when I was asked to give a few cents to a begger he was very polite

I was taken aback by the niceness of every one. All the canadian people we came into contact with were so sincere and genuine, nothing seemed too much trouble, always polite and SMILING!! Now you don't find that in the UK.

We did many miles travelling and saw some breathtaking sights - like standing on the top of Grouse mountain. Great places to visit were Stanley Park, White Rock (good beach for the kids), Steveston, Vancouver aquarium.
I would suggest you avoid the main Zoo, it looked badly maintained, and animal welfare was definately lacking.

Back home we can now reflect and for us moving is the right thing but know it will be hard work.
If there are any snippets of information that might be of any ue to anyone else just drop us a line..

Jon & Connie
r.e. the homeless
its so cold in most of Canada in the winter the homeless would freeze to death, so they come to B.C. BUT i have never felt scared walking past them or the junkies
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:11 am
Londonurse

marina is on a distinguished road

This makes an interesting reading, thank you. We moved to Canada 7 months ago from SE London. Curently residing in Vernon, BC. I am unable to settle no matter how great it is or so everybody says. Planning to move near to Vancouver as soon as possible. Now reading all the entries wonder what is that going to be like. For the last 7 months all I wanted to do is go back to Britain. It would be interesting to know how long on avarage does it take to like the new country. Did anyone had the same feeling? Thank you.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:44 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marina
This makes an interesting reading, thank you. We moved to Canada 7 months ago from SE London. Curently residing in Vernon, BC. I am unable to settle no matter how great it is or so everybody says. Planning to move near to Vancouver as soon as possible. Now reading all the entries wonder what is that going to be like. For the last 7 months all I wanted to do is go back to Britain. It would be interesting to know how long on avarage does it take to like the new country. Did anyone had the same feeling? Thank you.
Yes, lots of people feel homesick when they move countries. Some of them miss their families, some of them miss their friends, some of them find it difficult to fit into the work place in a foreign country, some of them miss M&S, some of them miss speaking with people who understand their sense of humour ....... The list goes on and on and on.

What to do if you feel like that?

Some people say you should give it a couple of years, because things may turn around for you. I think there's a lot to be said for that.

Some people have moved, not back to the UK, but to another province within the same destination country. Sometimes that has solved the problem, and sometimes it has not. There is one member of this forum who tried that quite recently, and she is happy in her second location. I'm about to try it after 27 years in Calgary. How will that go for me? Well, I'll find out. (I'm not from the UK, and in my case returning to my native country is NOT an option.) There are some forum members, however, who have not been happy in their second locations.

There are other people who pack it in and return to the UK very soon after they realize they're unhappy.

The returnees, for their part, then split into two groups. Some people feel very relieved to be back in the UK and never want to leave again. Others are reminded of negative aspects of the UK, and feel that they made a mistake in returning. Some of those people emigrate all over again.

Perhaps you're familiar with the expression, "Ping Pong Pom."

You'll find boatloads of people in the same position as you if you read the Moving back to the UK (MBTTUK) forum.

It's great to read lots of opinions -- both from the people who are starry eyed about Canada (mostly on this forum) and from those who are homesick and returning to the UK (mostly on the MBTTUK forum).

But I also think it helps to work through a somewhat more objective process. I myself am working through Louise Green's e-book called Personal Emigration Planning Workbook. Louise is a British expat herself and also an emigration and expat coach. She lives in Canmore, Alberta, and posts on this forum under the User Name of achanginglife.

I'm not emigrating, so you might wonder why I'm working through Louise's book. Well, in my opinion, the exercises are helpful if you're undertaking any change, not just emigration. Answering the questionnaires is helping me to identify what I want out of life, to clarify whether or not Victoria will deliver what I want (so far the evidence suggests it will), and to plan concrete steps that will help me get what I want.

The exercises also have helped me to identify what I do and do not like about Calgary, the place that I want to leave. A place usually is not all bad, and the exercises have reminded me of that. They have helped me to identify which aspects of my Calgary life I would like to replicate in Victoria and how I will maintain contact with my family and friends in Calgary (after all, I have invested 27 years in this city).

Hope that helps.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Jun 24th 2008 at 2:54 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by simeongb
r.e. the homeless
its so cold in most of Canada in the winter the homeless would freeze to death, so they come to B.C. BUT i have never felt scared walking past them or the junkies
When I was "courting" my OH (who lived in vancouver) via the internet and phone I was speaking to her on the phone one night whilst she was walking home from a friday night out, during our conversation it transpired that she was taking a short cut through a wooded area.......I went ballistic with concern, anger and fear, all was ok. However, my OH couldn't understand my reaction and subsequent lecture making her promise never to do that again. She agreed that it was a little risky but couldn't relate to my anxiety until she came to live in the UK with me. Now she wouldn't dream of going anywhere isolated alone even with our rottweiller dog and she appreciates now why I was so upset at the time.
On another occasion again we were chatting when she was startled by a homeless/junkie i heard the following conversation "what? hey what are you doing? get the hell out of here! " my anxiety and feeling of helplessness kicked in again until I heard a mans voice say "very sorry lady, have a nice evening, sorry, sorry" phew!! different societies eh?