Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our dog travelled Air Canada

Our dog travelled Air Canada

Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:21 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Our dog travelled Air Canada

Hi there..
we brought our two over via Air Canada in Oct last year...we like everyone travelling with pets worried all the way until we could see them safe and sound on this side...they had no ill effects, despite our one dog normally very nervous, and refused to go into the crate during the two weeks before we flew....we had hope it would get him used to it but he was having nothing to do with it....but on the day he went in...without sedation..we have been advised against that...and as I say was fine on arrival ......just be sure you get the right price quoted before you go....ours couldn't go excess baggage....due to their weight...both over 50lbs, so they had to go cargo...still on the same flight....just costing alot more than our tickets :scared: .....ahh but hay we wouldn't have left them behind...of course anyone about to travel with pets is going to be concerned...thats only natural...I would make sure you have them vet checked 24hrs before they are due to fly...i dont think all airlines insist on this....but I think its necessary, for peace of mind, and then just try and relax until your all reunited!

Good luck to all
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Thanks for the reassurance. I cannot get my dog in the crate. :scared: He howls continually while he thrashes about...he hurt himself last time...what am I going to do?
It took 2 strong men to shove my dog into the crate on the airport concourse... not nice but he was okay once inside. Slightly fretful and whiney whilst being wheeled, but okay when not moving. No ill-effects at the other end, I guess he'd got used to the crate at the end of that mammoth journey!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
It took 2 strong men to shove my dog into the crate on the airport concourse... not nice but he was okay once inside. Slightly fretful and whiney whilst being wheeled, but okay when not moving. No ill-effects at the other end, I guess he'd got used to the crate at the end of that mammoth journey!
I guess neither you nor Dingbat use a crate at home. What do you do with a wet dog in winter? We put ours in the crate for a couple of hours to dry a bit, he's become used to it and goes there after swimming.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
I guess neither you nor Dingbat use a crate at home. What do you do with a wet dog in winter? We put ours in the crate for a couple of hours to dry a bit, he's become used to it and goes there after swimming.
We also used a crate trained ours when he was a puppy, and used it until he was 6months old - he was 1 year last week so hopefully he'll be fine in the plane crate. (Don't need it when he's wet though - he's so short-haired that one shake and he's as good as dry!). From our experiences crate training back then, I can definately recommend letting them get used to it gradually, even feeding in there if there unsure. Also, putting an item like an old tee-shirt of yours, (so they can smell you the whole time) seems to comfort them (although if you've had to ram them into a crate they may not want to be reminded of you! ).

Anyone got any comments on whether they need to wear their collars whilst flying though, please?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Escapea
Anyone got any comments on whether they need to wear their collars whilst flying though, please?
I've also wondered if they need to wear their collars. I'd guessed that they probably do, just in case they escape :scared:
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Marathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really niceMarathon Wreck is just really nice

Thanks for the reassurance. I cannot get my dog in the crate. :scared: He howls continually while he thrashes about...he hurt himself last time...what am I going to do?

Forget drugs. More likely to do harm than good . Try making the 'Crate' somewhere he/she wants to be...ie. have it at home put his favourit titbit into the crate ,either in the back or even a trail leading into it .DO NOT CLOSE THE DOOR!!! keep repeating thereby turning the crate into a place he assossiates with nice things......easy really....oh,needs a bit of patience and love for your dog (of course!) take your time,this won't happen in one or two goes,but will work out eventually. Remember if you're chilled the dog wont wind itself up either....if you're not................
Hope this helps....
Bo
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

We were asked to remove the dog's collar and lead before they took him off in the crate. I was told that the dogs can 'swell' just the same as we do during a flight so it will be safer and more comfortable for them.
I also put in an old jumper in his crate so that he would have some 'familiar and comforting' smells around him.

If anyone has any other questions - no matter how 'silly' you may think - please do ask and I'll reply honestly for you.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:00 pm
Baz

Bazcop is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Long time since I was in this forum. Lot has happened, we now live in Vancouver. We also brought our Standard Poodle over with us. He travelled separately with a company called Golden Arrow of Shropshire. They built a crate to fit him (very big dog) this was a state of the art crate with all the water fixings and funnels required. He had plenty of room to turn round etc. He went to the Golden Arrow kennels two days prior to flying, where they accustomed him to the crate. It was heartbreaking leaving him at the kennels, but we had heard so many great reports about Golden Arrow, that we felt we were doing the right thing. 5 days later we went to vancouver airport and met Henry in his crate and took him to his new home. He was great. There was no mess in the crate and there was still water in the tubs. he was so happy to see us and we him. To this day 4 months later, there have been no ill effects whatsoever. He loves it here. He travelled from Golden Arrow, to manchester airport - Heathrow overnight and morning flight with Brit Airways to vancouver. Expensive but a LOT of peace of mind. Anyone like more details from me, please email me - love to help, as a dog IS a man's best friend and is very precious to us. Definitely don't sedate. Remember the people who are dealing with him or her, are usually animal lovers like you. Great advice by Marathon Wreck. henry likes his crate so much, that he still uses it as a bed at night, wouldn't be anywhere else!!!!bazcop

Last edited by Bazcop; Mar 20th 2006 at 10:07 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

I had never thought about a dog's body and neck swelling up during flight. Thanks for that snippet.

We've had our dog crate for nearly a year and although he'll happily eat in it he's never slept in it. I thought about keeping him in there for longer periods of time but I'm sure he'd consider that a punishment as he likes to be around us all the time. Not sure whether to persist building up the time spent in the crate or just to stop whilst he's happy with short sittings. Last thing want to do is make him not like the crate now.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by h_henry
I had never thought about a dog's body and neck swelling up during flight. Thanks for that snippet.

We've had our dog crate for nearly a year and although he'll happily eat in it he's never slept in it. I thought about keeping him in there for longer periods of time but I'm sure he'd consider that a punishment as he likes to be around us all the time. Not sure whether to persist building up the time spent in the crate or just to stop whilst he's happy with short sittings. Last thing want to do is make him not like the crate now.
Our dog was 'crate trained' from young but we did get him a new one for the flight. He didn't take to it immediately but with a few 'games' etc he was ok. In fact when the packers came he 'took refuge' in his crate!! I think that with all the noise etc at the airport your dog may well appreciate the 'security' of the crate that he knows, especially if there is a well known (smelly?) blanket or something to comfort him/her.
Bernadette
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

snodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nice

Ours have always flown with their collars left on, no leads were left attached to the crate.

Ours have always flown cargo - and I am happier with the thought that if the worst happens and one escapes from a crate, there is
A. a form of ID
and B. something other than a tail for whoever is chasing them, to grab.

I also wrote the dog's name in large letters on the crates. I heard at least 2 baggage handlers talking to the dogs by name, which I think reassures everyone.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agibson6
We were asked to remove the dog's collar and lead before they took him off in the crate. I was told that the dogs can 'swell' just the same as we do during a flight so it will be safer and more comfortable for them.
Thanks for letting me know that - I've been worried that they would make him wear it (in case they needed to get him out of his crate at all), and that I'd be sat there for the 10 hour flight imagining him getting it caught and choking!

Fortunately he was crate trained as a pup, so we shouldn't have any problems; for those that do, you can also put a blanket over the top of the crate whilst you are trying to familiarise your dog with it at home, as that makes it more 'den like' for them, so they feel really secure in there. Also, if you're planning to get them to sleep in it for a night or two beforehand, you could leave a radio on - classic fm always works wonders to chill our cat out!

Last edited by The Escapea; Mar 21st 2006 at 12:48 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:36 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

So my hound hits the floor whenever he sees the crate and will not go near it now. He literally runs the minute he hears the door squeak or anyone else go near it/touch it. He howls (like a wolf) as soon as he realizes I want him in there....we've tried games, food, bribes, sending one of the kids in....I squeezed in (big crate, no smart comments)...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

So my hound hits the floor whenever he sees the crate and will not go near it now. He literally runs the minute he hears the door squeak or anyone else go near it/touch it. He howls (like a wolf) as soon as he realizes I want him in there....we've tried games, food, bribes, sending one of the kids in....I squeezed in (big crate, no smart comments)...
Here's what I think I'd do...
Is it possible to move the crate into a completely different room and restart the crate training? I only ask because there sounds like lots of negative fear emotions now surrounding this crate and you have to make it a different situation somehow. Also, I think you need to make it less of an issue and not force him in. I can imagine that all the fussing around trying to get him in the crate is making it an issue for him (if you see what I mean) .
Somehow you need to set the crate up elsewhere and take the door off if possible. Then put something really motivating for him near not in the crate. I'm not talking just your average treat here but smoked cheese or roast chicken or something and just leave it near the crate. I wouldn't even be close to him at the time. Give him plenty of space. Your aim should be to try and get the dog near the crate without frettiing. Then, gradually move the treat closer and closer then into the crate. This may take a few weeks. If at any stage he freaks take a step back in the process.