British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Ottawa transport early in the morning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ottawa-transport-early-morning-904309/)

Snowy560 Oct 8th 2017 6:34 pm

Ottawa transport early in the morning

Hello, to those of you who live in Ottawa: I am staying in Ottawa near Byward Market for a few days this week (somewhere I have stayed before). I have to be in Gatineau early the next morning after I arrive for a conference. I thought the best way to get to Gatineau for about 7.15 am would be to get a taxi.

If I am correct, how much time should I leave and who should I call for a taxi?

Thank you!

pdarwin Oct 8th 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Ottawa transport early in the morning

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12356592)
Hello, to those of you who live in Ottawa: I am staying in Ottawa near the Rideau Centre for a few days this week (somewhere I have stayed before). I have to be in Gatineau early the next morning after I arrive for a conference. I thought the best way to get to Gatineau for about 7.15 am would be to get a taxi.

Thank you!

You can get a taxi from any of the downtown hotels. Nearest to Rideau Centre is the Westin hotel. If the destination is just the other side of the river in Hull then it's a 20-min walk across the bridge if it's sunny. Otherwise there's the # 44 bus from downtown. Depends exactly where the destination is.

Snowy560 Oct 8th 2017 7:11 pm

Thank you. Very helpful. I think it's just the other side of the river.

Hurlabrick Oct 8th 2017 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12356611)
Thank you. Very helpful. I think it's just the other side of the river.

Jeez.... walk it, it is no distance and a nice walk!

Snowy560 Oct 8th 2017 7:33 pm

Normally I would do and plan to on the second day. Have to get to palais des Congres.

Hurlabrick Oct 8th 2017 7:50 pm

You must carve out some time to visit Mosaicanada. In the park next to the bridge - absolutely amazing what they do with plants!

Snowy560 Oct 8th 2017 8:02 pm

Definitely! We are taking a couple of extra days at leisure!

pdarwin Oct 8th 2017 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12356620)
Normally I would do and plan to on the second day. Have to get to palais des Congres.

Palais des congrès is in Hull. Walk across the Alexandra Bridge (big metal old railway type bridge) then turn left and keep walking. Else # 44 bus and get off at stop Laurier/Courcelette. Perhaps taxi for the first day though. Check it out on Google maps.

Partially discharged Oct 8th 2017 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12356592)
Hello, to those of you who live in Ottawa: I am staying in Ottawa near Byward Market for a few days this week (somewhere I have stayed before). I have to be in Gatineau early the next morning after I arrive for a conference. I thought the best way to get to Gatineau for about 7.15 am would be to get a taxi.

Thank you!

I don't think that Uber can go from Ottawa to Gatineau. Agree with others..it is a nice walk if the weather is ok. Mosaic is wonderful but I think it may shut down after Thanksgiving.

Hope you enjoy your trip. There are STO buses that cross the bridge and go in front of Parliament Hill that go back to Gatineau..sorry no idea which route #'s go where.

Snowy560 Oct 8th 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll report back. I didn't want to stay in the suggested Gatineau hotel as we'd stayed at this Airbnb in Ottawa before and I'm not keen on hotels.

Partially discharged Oct 8th 2017 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12356656)
Thanks everyone! I'll report back. I didn't want to stay in the suggested Gatineau hotel as we'd stayed at this Airbnb in Ottawa before and I'm not keen on hotels.

If you or any of your travel partners like beer this place has great beer and the food is quite good.

</title> <script src="http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=AIzaSyDl8vCitP09WQoccuJS4ES2fqT8jvwiP3Y" type="text/javascript"> </script> <script> function showCD(str) { if (str=="") { document.getElementById("txtHint").innerHTML=""; return; } if (

or if you want to go to a pub 'where everybody knows your name' this place can't be beat (may need to cab it there and back).

quinnsalehouse friendly crowd, very small, great beers available (burgers are amazing) and they even have labatts 50 on draught.

Snowy560 Oct 8th 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks for the recommendations!

I've got to speak at the conference so I don't want to get tired and stressed with a long walk the first morning after flying in the night before, time difference etc. For the other days, the pressure will be off.

bgpz Oct 8th 2017 11:35 pm

Seconded re. BdT - it's a great spot.

Snowy560 Oct 8th 2017 11:37 pm

Husband will be interested in a good beer!

dbd33 Oct 9th 2017 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12356660)
and they even have labatts 50 on draught.

<drops Pride, runs>