Reload this Page >

Ottawa move queries for a family of 4

Ottawa move queries for a family of 4

Old May 4th 2020, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

VishUK2Canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ottawa move queries for a family of 4

Originally Posted by abner
And, Quebec's provincial taxation regime might prove more onerous, depending on your circumstances.

Re: education in English. It's a complicated and politically-fraught issue on both sides of the river, and I've been gone far too long from the area to usefully comment on the details of how to navigate it.

But I will make a general observation on the subject: Ottawa is a "company town"; its dominant industry is the federal government, and these days it's pretty much essential to be fluently bilingual (English/French) to get ahead within the federal civil service, or within the innumerable private-sector career-paths that deal with the government as a client.

Assuming you source a high-quality school, giving your child a bilingual or French-immersion education is quite worthwhile, if you intend for the family to 'settle' in Ottawa.
Hi Abner,

Thanks for your response and great point. I see your point with regards to a long term perspective and I too strongly believe, bilingual is always good, and especially with kids, they pick up things so quickly. I will definitely look into it and my son actually had some basic french lessons and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Because I will be so new in the area, I wouldn't know if I'll be sticking around for long, I do hope, I like the area and my work allows me to stay there but either way, this is something I will definitely consider for my kids as it will only be an asset for them both.

Regards,

Vish