Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa Info Required

Ottawa Info Required

Old Apr 17th 2018, 4:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa Info Required

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I live in Ottawa and have for 23 years. I spent about 13 years in Toronto/Waterloo and from a weather perspective I prefer Ottawa. Not a popular opinion on this forum although there are some rather nesh people posting.

Winters in Ottawa are I believe snowier than Calgary and definitely snowier than Toronto. Summers are warmer and more humid than Calgary and I believe definitely warmer overnight than Calgary. It is probably wetter overall in Ottawa but in the summer the precipitation tends to be in thunderstorms which can be hit and miss and it rarely rains slightly all day (aka Scotland).

In winter in Ottawa you can do things...ski, snowshoe, skate on the canal. Winter in the 416 is often a slight bit of snow, snirt (snow and dirt mixed together), and brownish grass peaking through the snow. If you believe that running shoes/trainers are an appropriate method of footwear for sub zero temps and that your feet won't get soaked then the 416 lifestyle may suit. Less of that in Ottawa.

I think Ottawa and Toronto summer temps are fairly close. Winter is definitely colder in Ottawa than Toronto. Since I've been here I think I've seen -32 c on the car temp thingy but don't recall much below about -25 in Toronto and when that happens it is the end of the world in Toronto.

Once you get away from the great lakes in the winter the temps drop. Algonquin Park is a prime example of that.
I can't strongly disagree with any of that, but I would remind you of our former mod IainK (from Belleville, on Lake Ontario) who often posted a snap of his thermometer showing +40C in a summer and -40C in a winter.

This of course shows the value of climate data over anecdote.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 4:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Anecdotally...I've visited Ottawa in winter and summer. It strikes me as one of those places that is nice in the spring and the fall but could otherwise be too hot or too cold. But people seem to thrive there, including my S-i-L and family so it is possible to deal with both extremes. I quite like Ottawa as a city. It feels compact and yet has most everything you need. Mind you I live in the far flung fringes of the North Atlantic so everything feels urban and sophistimicated to me.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I can't strongly disagree with any of that, but I would remind you of our former mod IainK (from Belleville, on Lake Ontario) who often posted a snap of his thermometer showing +40C in a summer and -40C in a winter.

-40 c in the winter and +40 c in the summer are windchill and humidex (now referred to as the ever vague 'real feel') temps which in my book aren't very instantenous and not particularly relevant.

I've been in Ottawa for 23 years and I think my temps range from about -32 to about +36. Neither are very pleasant.

Living in the Cote D'Azur would be pleasant as it is never blistering hot by the coast and if you want to go skiing that can be done in the day or weekend but then you can forget about it. Plus I could eat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pissaladi%C3%A8re every day. Unfortunately the beer is bland and lagerish.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a picture somewhere of the VW thermometer showing -36.5. This year the car thermometer showed something below -30 but it didn't beat the VW number so I didn't bother with a picture. I don't have any similar pictures from Ottawa because heating the door with a hair dryer so as to pry it open distorts the sensor and, anyway, the car battery was usually frozen so the thermometer didn't work at all.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:47 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Ottawa has never in recorded history hit +40 or -40.

It rarely goes below -30 and +30 is usually only for a couple of days (typically July). It can get humid in Summer. Bugs are not really a problem where I live, unless I go for a walk in the woods/swamp around dusk.

Then again, we can get shedloads of snow, freezing rain (my personal favourite), violent thunderstorms, tornadoes, earthquakes, plagues of locusts etc.

Often all on the same day.

There is also the mounting rate of gang-related shootings.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

OP

I lived in Calgary for the first 6 years I lived here. I now live 15 minutes south of Calgary.

Calgary doesn't really get that much snowfall, present winter excepted, and, when it does, the chinook winds usually get rid of it within a week or two. I don't believe that Ottawa has any such effect.

If you wish to access snow for activities such as skiing, it is 90 minutes away to the location of the alpine events for the 1988 Olympics and another 90 minutes or so to Lake Louise/Sunshine for what is amongst the best skiing in the world.

Calgarians are not really affected by the snow, as it usually doesn't stay around for long enough to affect them. When it falls, the city does an OK job of clearing it so that, for the most part, travel times are not really impacted.

I imagine that, on a day to day basis, the difference in temperatures in Ottawa and Calgary are unlikely to be a determining factor in winter or summer. However, it is very rarely so humid in Calgary that it becomes uncomfortable and the fact the nights are cooler means that most in Calgary do not require air conditioning in the summer.

I have never been affected by bugs in the summer either. I believe that such things cause issues in Ottawa but, having never lived there, I don't know.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

mcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond reputemcdanger has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Ottawa from Glasgow in 2016 so I can maybe be of some help with this. Coming from a place where summer means maybe a couple of weeks of actual sunny days if you're lucky, I find the summers here pretty glorious as long as you have at least one well air-conditioned room in your house where you can hide out when it all gets a bit much.

As people have said earlier, you can look at climate charts until you're, no pun intended, blue in the face but that won't tell you what it's like to try and cope with the weather here.

Before I moved here the idea of a day where the mercury goes to -20C was pretty scary but having been through two winters now I will say that I'll take a -20 day with little wind over a -5 day with nasty wind chill or an ice storm with freezing rain like we've had over the past couple of days.

The other thing about the winters is that they really drag on and in my experience will start to get you down unless you can escape to somewhere warmer for at least a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 6:30 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcdanger
I moved to Ottawa from Glasgow in 2016 so I can maybe be of some help with this. Coming from a place where summer means maybe a couple of weeks of actual sunny days if you're lucky, I find the summers here pretty glorious as long as you have at least one well air-conditioned room in your house where you can hide out when it all gets a bit much.

As people have said earlier, you can look at climate charts until you're, no pun intended, blue in the face but that won't tell you what it's like to try and cope with the weather here.

Before I moved here the idea of a day where the mercury goes to -20C was pretty scary but having been through two winters now I will say that I'll take a -20 day with little wind over a -5 day with nasty wind chill or an ice storm with freezing rain like we've had over the past couple of days.

The other thing about the winters is that they really drag on and in my experience will start to get you down unless you can escape to somewhere warmer for at least a couple of weeks.
Echo that. I've been in Gatineau since 2004. I'm quite happy with -20, sun and no wind. I hate wind.

Don't even get me going on freezing rain!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
While I do agree with this, I think there is also value in opinion. I might, for example, not notice the average wind speed in a weather chart, but someone saying "that's a windy spot" would catch my attention.
Local knowledge has some uses I agree. When we moved here, we found a house, a work colleague told me it was in the floodplain. That put us off and we gave it a wide birth. We later found out something like 80% of the Lower Mainland is in the floodplain, as it where we live now. To avoid it, one has to pretty much live on a hillside.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 9:21 pm
Banned

rsbhj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses, some great and on the ball of the post, some very not so, unfortunately the way a BE forum can go. I personally will be closing this post down, and wont be replying again on this post, but thank those who kept the replies on the post.

Thanks again
Old Apr 18th 2018, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Local knowledge has some uses I agree. When we moved here, we found a house, a work colleague told me it was in the floodplain. That put us off and we gave it a wide birth. We later found out something like 80% of the Lower Mainland is in the floodplain, as it where we live now. To avoid it, one has to pretty much live on a hillside.
Oh yes, I have access to that data and it's just amazing how many new housing projects are built in a location of flood risk or cause the location to be subject to flood risk. Flood insurance is just now coming available across Canada but available and affordable are not the same thing.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 7:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rsbhj
Thanks for the responses, some great and on the ball of the post, some very not so, unfortunately the way a BE forum can go. I personally will be closing this post down, and wont be replying again on this post, but thank those who kept the replies on the post.

Thanks again
Not sure why you're trying to open duplicate threads instead of just continuing to post on this one, but please note that we don't allow duplicate threads. So if you choose to not reply on this thread (you can't close it), that's fine, but please don't open any other threads on the same subject. Any and all questions about life in Ottawa for a family should be kept to this thread.

Thx.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 8:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Ottawa has never in recorded history hit +40 or -40.
Nor, I suspect, has Belleville. Nonetheless IainK posted (several times) photos of his outside yard thermometer displaying those extremes. I mentioned it to reinforce the value of EC data over people's "opinions", clearly based, in this instance, on defective instrumentation.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 8:08 am
Banned

rsbhj is an unknown quantity at this point

so looks like I need to continue on this thread the jobs worth at BE demand this and rules must be obeyed at all times.

I am looking to hear from families living in Ottawa, and how they find it.

We are family of 4, kids are 5 and 3 just now. We live in Scotland, and looking for a change, and with Australia now not possible, and my wife having Canadian citizenship we are looking further into this option.

Toronto/Vancouver were for us unaffordable. Calgary is an option but its remoteness really puts me off. Next on list Ottawa.

Looking to hear what family life is like in Ottawa, what's some good suburbs to look at, generally and honest what you like and don't like about Ottawa.

Suburbs we would be looking to buy a house for around $550k-650k ¾ bed.

I know I cant dictate who replies etc and everyone is free to post whatever they want but I am really looking to hear specifically from families currently or previously living/lived in Ottawa.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 8:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rsbhj
so looks like I need to continue on this thread the jobs worth at BE demand this and rules must be obeyed at all times.
I've no idea why you've got this attitude, and why you felt the need to insult JG in your deleted thread, but please don't. The mods give their time freely and try to keep the forum a nice place for all, which includes deleting duplicate content (and duplicate accounts).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.