Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa and E. Canada in November - what can my relatives do?

Wikiposts

Ottawa and E. Canada in November - what can my relatives do?

Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

WoohooMadeIt is on a distinguished road
Default Ottawa and E. Canada in November - what can my relatives do?

Much as I tried to persuade them it was an awful time to come, my mum and step-dad arrive early November for three weeks stay. They want to go off and do something for a week or so during that time (they appreciate how three weeks together might drive us all nuts!). Does anyone have ideas what I can possibly find them to do? They caravan back in the UK so they aren't particularly into hotels or city travel and they aren't that big on shopping.

I'm really struggling to think what they can do in a time when I guess it will be pretty grey, dull and boring. I also suspect they will want to go for B&B type accomodation and I'm not sure of the equivalent here.

Some stuff I was thinking of:

- Stick them on a train to Quebec City or Montreal.
- Ditto but Toronto/Niagara.
- Erm.. that's about it!

Trains seem a good idea as our last visitors were really impressed with Via Rail and their service. I doubt they will want to fly but maybe if there are cheap flights - would the maritimes be an option and interesting? My mum is Scottish from the islands so she might appreciate some celtic connections. There are some family connections in Winnipeg I think - would that be worth a visit and doable?

As you can tell, I'm really struggling. If they were coming over nearer to Xmas then there's lots to do in Ottawa but November seems to be that grey area between the nice bit of fall and the proper winter.

Help please!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 11:24 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ottawa and E. Canada in November - what can my relatives do?

Originally Posted by WoohooMadeIt
Much as I tried to persuade them it was an awful time to come, my mum and step-dad arrive early November for three weeks stay. They want to go off and do something for a week or so during that time (they appreciate how three weeks together might drive us all nuts!). Does anyone have ideas what I can possibly find them to do? They caravan back in the UK so they aren't particularly into hotels or city travel and they aren't that big on shopping.

I'm really struggling to think what they can do in a time when I guess it will be pretty grey, dull and boring. I also suspect they will want to go for B&B type accomodation and I'm not sure of the equivalent here.

Some stuff I was thinking of:

- Stick them on a train to Quebec City or Montreal.
- Ditto but Toronto/Niagara.
- Erm.. that's about it!

Trains seem a good idea as our last visitors were really impressed with Via Rail and their service. I doubt they will want to fly but maybe if there are cheap flights - would the maritimes be an option and interesting? My mum is Scottish from the islands so she might appreciate some celtic connections. There are some family connections in Winnipeg I think - would that be worth a visit and doable?

As you can tell, I'm really struggling. If they were coming over nearer to Xmas then there's lots to do in Ottawa but November seems to be that grey area between the nice bit of fall and the proper winter.

Help please!
There is little or nothing to do in Canada in November. Why not do a house-swap with them for 3 weeks?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 11:57 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa and E. Canada in November - what can my relatives do?

What can your relatives do?

They can get brain implants.

Okay, I realise that's not a very helpful suggestion. We've had the same challenge at this end on occasions. Plain bloody awful.