Ottawa

Old Jan 28th 2023, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa

Originally Posted by DeanN
"If you’ve never been to Ottawa, don’t bother. Of all the G7 capitals, it’s one that hardly conjures up much in the way of attractive images. Don’t believe me? Try it." – Tyler Brule. Bit rich coming from someone born in Winnipeg.

Then again, as his reliably risible column makes clear, his main issue with Ottawa was the lack of attention to detail from staff at a hotel he stayed at.
He comes across as an insufferable pompous windbag. Maybe related to Conrad Black?
Old Jan 29th 2023, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Seeing this, I didn't immediately believe that someone could actually be called Tyler Brule.
Technically there's not, for some reason he styles it Brûlé (his family name is without the diacritics).

I googled and there is someone of that name who is a Canadian who doesn't like Ottawa. Well, fair enough, lots of people don't like Ottawa, but why cite him or her, how would we have heard of this person
He's the founder of Wallpaper magazine and, more recently, the Monocle publishing / radio / "lifestyle brand".

and why would his or her one opinion matter to us?
It probably shouldn't.
Old Jan 29th 2023, 3:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanN
He's the founder of Wallpaper magazine and, more recently, the Monocle publishing / radio / "lifestyle brand".
Neither of those means anything to me. Perhaps they're culturally important in Winnipeg.
Old Feb 12th 2023, 2:00 am
Just Joined

h0bn0b is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jandro
It's part of Gatineau now but used to be it's own municipality. It's still a name for the centre of Gatineau.
It’s called Île de Hull.
I enjoy the juxtaposition of refined French and the name Hull.
Old Mar 13th 2023, 2:01 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by h0bn0b
It’s called Île de Hull.
It's not so refined when pronounced in the local dialect: 'ull. Living there I thought it was a French place name.
Old Mar 15th 2023, 1:06 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h0bn0b
It’s called Île de Hull.
Only a bit of Hull s the Ile.

People in Gatineau still tend to use the names of the original sectors.

And Gatineau doesn't have a centre.