Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Other Side of the Coin

The Other Side of the Coin

Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

ThemeOne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Other Side of the Coin

While we're all contemplating our moves to Canada, or thinking how we like / don't like Canada, it gives a great sense of perspective to see things from the other direction.

This forum is for Canadians heading for the UK

http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/c...e-uk-vf10.html

Makes an interesting read!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Other Side of the Coin

Originally Posted by ThemeOne
While we're all contemplating our moves to Canada, or thinking how we like / don't like Canada, it gives a great sense of perspective to see things from the other direction.

This forum is for Canadians heading for the UK

http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/c...e-uk-vf10.html

Makes an interesting read!
It's like some weird parallel universe
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:40 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

How weird! The thread about reasons for leaving Canada for the UK is interesting.

People moaning about consumerism, crappy banks, long working hours, the weather & a poor quality of life - generally the country going to pot. I found it interesting to see a couple of comments about people taking a pay cut to move to the UK.

It takes a moment before you realise they they are all saying this about Canada. It could be a carbon copy of threads we often see here.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:35 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

interesting reading......not sure what to comment on about it really, other than, de ja vue!!! in reverse....
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:44 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

This post struck me .... <snip> My wife and I just want a change of pace and sick of the way things are here (in Canada). I've previously been on a WHM visa and I have to say things are so much more laid back in the UK (and Europe in general)- 7 hour workdays, 5+ weeks holidays, etc etc.<snip>

from this thread: http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/w...uk-vt3877.html

Heh ... can't actually disagree with it, except to say that if you live in a city like Calgary, Edmonton or Toronto, you probably will have these pressures. If you want to have a slower pace of life, I expect a move to somewhere rural where one can perhaps afford to buy outright if you have plenty of capital behind you and are not much into material things ..... might this not be true also in parts of rural UK?

I'd be more inclined these days to advise folks that if their job in UK is well-paid and they have enough time and money to vacation here in Canada while living comfortably in the UK, then maybe immigration is not the best thing!?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:54 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Am I allowed to say

"I told you so"
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Ive argued here often enough that much of what potential immigrants to Canada from the UK want to find in the way of "a new way of life" can be found in an alternate part of the motherland.

I expect much the same can be said for Canadians looking to move to the UK for various reasons too.

But once you have opened pandoras box with the "should we do it" question, its pretty hard to not end up going down that road. The argument about people regretting what they havent done more than what they have is pretty hard to counter.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 7th 2008 at 2:57 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:13 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Well, Ive argued here often enough that much of what potential immigrants to Canada from the UK want to find in the way of "a new way of life" can be found in an alternate part of the motherland.
and for a lot less Ā£Ā£Ā£'s
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:17 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow! Love this one:

http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/w...ch-vt4625.html

BWHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAA:

"Plus, why is the TTC so run down and dirty? The London tube system is pristine and taken by the richest of the rich"
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
It's like some weird parallel universe
Isn't it ? We could just just swap a few of the names around and there would no need for two forums
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:44 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

I expect much the same can be said for Canadians looking to move to the UK for various reasons too.

But once you have opened pandoras box with the "should we do it" question, its pretty hard to not end up going down that road. The argument about people regretting what they havent done more than what they have is pretty hard to counter.
I think you're right here Iain - for a lot of people immigration is about change rather than anything else, once you get that itch in your pants, it's hard not to scratch it..... I'm certainly guilty of that - not that I have any regrets thus far, but a lot of it was about experiencing something new rather than being a love affair with Canada per se, if it wasn't Canada it could have as easily have been the US or Australia to scratch that itch....
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:59 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying that I regret coming here. I am happier, my kids are happier and doing well. Nothing about my old home town attracted me when I visited this year.

BUT life here is (or can be) stressful and pressured like any other city, and we had no disposable income when we were in UK and have rather more here.

Sometimes I DO wish we had more time just to relax, but I think this is the lifestyle of living in Calgary. We are not about to move again, cos the kids are happy, but once they are less in the equation I hope to move out a bit away from the hub-bub and realx more!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:07 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thing with lifestyle ... I've come to believe that its largely a state of mind.

If you wish you had more time to relax, then decide on your priorities and take more time to relax. No need to move 4000miles to achieve that.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

If you wish you had more time to relax, then decide on your priorities and take more time to relax. No need to move 4000miles to achieve that.
No indeed, but perhaps in some cases moving 4,000 miles is a necessary part of the impetus to make those changes. Too easy to fall back into old habits on familiar turf!

I'm sure if I was born in BC I'd have still wanted to live abroad for a bit. I think that on balance I'd have been more likely to want to return home afterward though - during all my years in the UK I only met one Canadian who had moved and decided to stay permanently (unlike the raft of Brits over here).

Admittedly the UK is more populous, and hence presumably produces a lot more emigrees, but there seem to be proportionally more of us living overseas (long term) than is the case in reverse? That'd be an interesting statistic to see per capita. Not the short term migrants, mind, seemingly every Kiwi/Aussie seems to live overseas for a couple of years as a rite of passage, for instance.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:00 am
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by Iain Mc

Admittedly the UK is more populous, and hence presumably produces a lot more emigrees, but there seem to be proportionally more of us living overseas (long term) than is the case in reverse?
I though the data showed the majority returned around the 60% returned?

probably as the majority that leave, I think leave on the corporate dollar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.