Reload this Page >

Orangeville area

Orangeville area

Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Orangeville area

Originally Posted by djchighlander
I might be moving with my company in February whats the weather like in Orangeville then will it be freezing :scared:
You can bet on it! Probably in the -% c. But you get used to it and frankly you spend most of your time in your warm house, or shops, or car, and so on. And you also dress for it - I have boots which are guaranteed to keep my toes warm to -40% and they do!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:14 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jcexit
I have boots which are guaranteed to keep my toes warm to -40% and they do!
Really..what are they made of?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by finallygotout
Really..what are they made of?
It's in the lining - Thinsulate. Otherwise leather and rubber with a felt inner "sock". The brand is Kodiak and you get them from Canadian Tire
Old Nov 16th 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

djchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nice

Here's the page on the town of Orangeville's website giving you the information on schools.

http://www.orangeville.ca/com_info.php?rtid=4
Cheers this is a really useful site, have managed to contact the office now so just waiting for word back,
Old Nov 16th 2005, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

djchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nice

You can bet on it! Probably in the -% c. But you get used to it and frankly you spend most of your time in your warm house, or shops, or car, and so on. And you also dress for it - I have boots which are guaranteed to keep my toes warm to -40% and they do!
Being originally from the highlands of Scotland I am looking forward to the snow, would it be best to buy winter clothes over hear or wait untill we come out,
Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djchighlander
Being originally from the highlands of Scotland I am looking forward to the snow, would it be best to buy winter clothes over hear or wait untill we come out,
I have been advised to buy in Canada as the UK winter clothes are useless compared to the Canadian ones ( source Lonely Planet )
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had no luck with Thinsulate. I have a coat lined with it and several pairs of gloves. They're fine for the summer but when it's cold bulk is key.

In fact, I think I'll give the coat to the Salvation Army.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've had no luck with Thinsulate. I have a coat lined with it and several pairs of gloves. They're fine for the summer but when it's cold bulk is key.

In fact, I think I'll give the coat to the Salvation Army.
Good man
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

Good quality winter clothes bought in the UK (from an outdoor shop or ski shop) are perfectly OK for here. However if you bought from a hight street shop for temperatures of +5C then it will have a short period of usefulness here.

If you don't already have the clothes then I would suggest buying here since you will get more for your money (bringing sterling) and more choice.

Originally Posted by Tangram
I have been advised to buy in Canada as the UK winter clothes are useless compared to the Canadian ones ( source Lonely Planet )
Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

triniangel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skigordi
Good quality winter clothes bought in the UK (from an outdoor shop or ski shop) are perfectly OK for here. However if you bought from a hight street shop for temperatures of +5C then it will have a short period of usefulness here.

If you don't already have the clothes then I would suggest buying here since you will get more for your money (bringing sterling) and more choice.
The area sounds nice but what about jobs? and price of houses?
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by triniangel
The area sounds nice but what about jobs? and price of houses?
The same site that we used in finding builders for our house, listed the one in the link below for orangeville

http://www.devonleighhomes.com/v2/co...lle/index.html
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Flipper is on a distinguished road

House prices in Orangeville are low compared to the UK (and bigger ) and Toronto, but they are going up fast. The population of Orangeville is increasing each year so property prices will no doubt continue to rise.

Schools are fine, there are no bad areas (yet!), and you can pretty much buy anything you need...or want. The only concern you should have is employment. Although the town has an extremely low unemployment rate and a lot of businesses many of the people who live there work in the suburbs of Toronto - about 40 minutes to an hour drive. To the average Brit expat that's quite a distance - to Canadians that's "just down the road".
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:22 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flipper
House prices in Orangeville are low compared to the UK (and bigger ) and Toronto, but they are going up fast. The population of Orangeville is increasing each year so property prices will no doubt continue to rise.

Schools are fine, there are no bad areas (yet!), and you can pretty much buy anything you need...or want. The only concern you should have is employment. Although the town has an extremely low unemployment rate and a lot of businesses many of the people who live there work in the suburbs of Toronto - about 40 minutes to an hour drive. To the average Brit expat that's quite a distance - to Canadians that's "just down the road".
Sorry but 40 mins to an hour commute is NOT a large distance/time for anyone in the south of England, that's pretty standard.

Never seen the attraction of emigrating and congregating in an area where it is overwhelmingly British ?? Bit like my father in Sapin and his expat group.....but at least he lives in a Spanish community and not a Brit Enclave I guess.

Paul
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Flipper is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tangram
Sorry but 40 mins to an hour commute is NOT a large distance/time for anyone in the south of England, that's pretty standard.

Never seen the attraction of emigrating and congregating in an area where it is overwhelmingly British ?? Bit like my father in Sapin and his expat group.....but at least he lives in a Spanish community and not a Brit Enclave I guess.

Paul
Fair enough. But when I came here it was common for local Brits and Irish to express astonishment at how much driving Canadians were willing to do on a daily basis. (The people I'm thinking of were from Ulster, Scotland, and Lancashire).

There are quite a few British people in Orangeville but most of them came to Canada at least three decades ago. Most are elderly or middle aged and their children and grandchildren are Canadians who play hockey and lacrosse and have little interest in the old country. So it doesn't feel like a bit of Britain tranferred abroad; just a traditional Anglo-Canadian town.

BTW we got our first real snowfall today.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Orangeville area

My family have lived in Calgary and Vancouver in the past. We are now in London but would like to return to Canada next year or so. Ontario sounds good and closer to Europe - only 5 hour flight. Orangeville. Many people praise it but I heard someone from Toronto saying that Orangeville is an area "where all the unemployed people are sent off to...".
I Can not really gauge this criticism against what I saw in western Canada. Can someone help? What is meant by this and if it is true. And anyhow is it just a good place for retirement or for young families as well can at least some Industrial work be found there.

...And does anyone know anything about Sudbury?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.