Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Opening up a UK Bank Account from Canada - Which Bank is Best?

Opening up a UK Bank Account from Canada - Which Bank is Best?

Old Apr 2nd 2024, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening up a UK Bank Account from Canada - Which Bank is Best?

Since RBC have taken over HSBC in Canada we have had all sorts of issues with RBC. We cannot send international transfers between RBC and HSBC UK. Yesterday when our RBC accounts went 'live' I tried to transfer over my monthly pension to the UK. Firstly you, have to set up a international money transfer with RBC as you cannot transfer your money between accounts as you could with the HSBC, even though you still have access to global view. I have a Canadian $$ account set up with HSBC UK as we get better exchange rates using HSBC UK Global money transfers. All was looking good until I pressed 'send payment' then it asked for proof of identity using either a Canadian driving license or passport. Being back in the UK I no longer have a Canadian driving license and tried to use my Canadian passport. It asks you to scan a QR code and then take a picture of your passport then a selfie to verify. I tried this at least a dozen times and it kept coming back with ' can't identify you try again'. I was unable to complete the transfer.
Today I tried again and it did not save my HSBC linked accounts so I tried to set up new ones. This time is doesn't give you a CAD $ currency transfer option so I tried another currency and it wouldn't save it to my linked accounts.
My wife has been unable to set up on line banking with RBC for our joint account and when she tries the alternative RBC client card option it requests a Canadian postcode! My client card 'got lost in the post' apparently so they had to send another one. I went through all of my details with a very long phone call with RBC to ensure everything was correct. A week later I received an email from RBC saying 'please contact us as we do not seem to have your correct details to send your card'! Once again I had to spend a long time on them phone with them and they apparently did not recognise my 7 digit post code which we have in the UK because Canada is only 6 digits!
So far I have had to contact RBC 5 times from the UK, the free 1-800 international RBC number doesn't connect and if you use the RBC call collect number it still charges to the UK cell phone.
This bank merger has been a nightmare.

Anyone else had any issues?
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Eggx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Since RBC have taken over HSBC in Canada we have had all sorts of issues with RBC. We cannot send international transfers between RBC and HSBC UK. Yesterday when our RBC accounts went 'live' I tried to transfer over my monthly pension to the UK. Firstly you, have to set up a international money transfer with RBC as you cannot transfer your money between accounts as you could with the HSBC, even though you still have access to global view. I have a Canadian $$ account set up with HSBC UK as we get better exchange rates using HSBC UK Global money transfers. All was looking good until I pressed 'send payment' then it asked for proof of identity using either a Canadian driving license or passport. Being back in the UK I no longer have a Canadian driving license and tried to use my Canadian passport. It asks you to scan a QR code and then take a picture of your passport then a selfie to verify. I tried this at least a dozen times and it kept coming back with ' can't identify you try again'. I was unable to complete the transfer.
Today I tried again and it did not save my HSBC linked accounts so I tried to set up new ones. This time is doesn't give you a CAD $ currency transfer option so I tried another currency and it wouldn't save it to my linked accounts.
My wife has been unable to set up on line banking with RBC for our joint account and when she tries the alternative RBC client card option it requests a Canadian postcode! My client card 'got lost in the post' apparently so they had to send another one. I went through all of my details with a very long phone call with RBC to ensure everything was correct. A week later I received an email from RBC saying 'please contact us as we do not seem to have your correct details to send your card'! Once again I had to spend a long time on them phone with them and they apparently did not recognise my 7 digit post code which we have in the UK because Canada is only 6 digits!
So far I have had to contact RBC 5 times from the UK, the free 1-800 international RBC number doesn't connect and if you use the RBC call collect number it still charges to the UK cell phone.
This bank merger has been a nightmare.

Anyone else had any issues?
Ive seen some minor teething issues with the migration from HSBC.
For the transfer, i would recommend using WISE.com instead of RBC global transfer. With wise the FX rates are better and the transfer to my Barclays is completed in seconds. You can use interac to transfer from RBC to wise.

Last edited by Eggx; Apr 3rd 2024 at 1:14 am. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eggx
Ive seen some minor teething issues with the migration from HSBC.
For the transfer, i would recommend using WISE.com instead of RBC global transfer. With wise the FX rates are better and the transfer to my Barclays is completed in seconds. You can use interac to transfer from RBC to wise.
Wise looks promising but it appears they no longer accept Interac E-Transfers for bill payments -Is RBC no longer supporting Interac?
Important Information. As of January 6 2023, RBC will no longer support the option to pay for online purchases using the Interac Online Payments service. If you use Interac Online Payment service to make CRA tax payments: You will be able to make tax payments to CRA using Interac Online Payment until May 30, 2023. I cannot seem to find how to pay them using bill payment with RBC as they are not on their payees list. Using the debit card to pay them is expensive. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Wise looks promising but it appears they no longer accept Interac E-Transfers for bill payments -Is RBC no longer supporting Interac?
Important Information. As of January 6 2023, RBC will no longer support the option to pay for online purchases using the Interac Online Payments service. If you use Interac Online Payment service to make CRA tax payments: You will be able to make tax payments to CRA using Interac Online Payment until May 30, 2023. I cannot seem to find how to pay them using bill payment with RBC as they are not on their payees list. Using the debit card to pay them is expensive. Any suggestions?
Send them a cheque.
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hemlock is an unknown quantity at this point

CRA are listed on the RBC online bill payments with online banking.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

GiantSantaCruzer is an unknown quantity at this point

I've nothing useful to add to this thread but just chirping in to say that Canadian Banks seems to be stuck in the 1950s.
​​​
Recently, I had to complete 7 different paper forms (totalling 35 pages ) just to transfer a TFSA from Simplii to CIBC (and Simplii is a subsidiary of CIBC!). The whole process took over 5 weeks from start to finish.
To add insult to injury, the incentives CIBC were offering at the time to transfer TFSA were refused - apparently, my (CIBC) financial advisor mistakenly told me I qualified for the incentives. I complained but there is zero accountability
Old Today, 4:06 pm
DVG
Just Joined

DVG is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this set up with HSBC Canada for my Canadian pension and Investments when I moved back to the UK. HSBC are pulling out of Canada at the end of the year and have been bought out by RBC providing the authorities authorise the sale. I am not sure how this will work out!
Hey there...just a quick question pensions...you mentioned that you have set up a HSBC Canada account for your Canadian pensions and investments. We are planning on retiring to the UK from Canada and I have been trying to find out how taxes work with Canadian Pensions etc., i.e. OAS, CPP and RRSP/R(FFs. If you can these deposited into a say HSBC Canadian Account, and you want to access that money when in the UK, would you just transfer from the HSBC Canadian to the HSBC UK? The most important question I can't find an answer to, is do you pay taxes on that money you transfer to the UK from those pensions...do I have to file a tax return in Northern Ireland as well as Canada. Any info or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.