Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account from the UK

Opening a bank account from the UK

Old May 23rd 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

uprightdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a bank account from the UK

Which Canadian banks allow people to open accounts from the UK, before landing? I will be in BC.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:48 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account from the UK

Hi

Originally Posted by uprightdog
Which Canadian banks allow people to open accounts from the UK, before landing? I will be in BC.
HSBC, RBC, ING Direct.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:53 pm
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by uprightdog
.... and Scotiabank
Old May 24th 2007, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

uprightdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Any recommendations? Bearing in mind it only has to be in the short term - I can change banks after I land.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:29 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

There's not really a lot to be gained from opening an account before you land - just hang on and do it as soon as you get here. It's actually pretty easy to do.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

RodseyUK will become famous soon enoughRodseyUK will become famous soon enough

You will find that most banks will allow you to open an account online, however, you will find that most will only let you open a deposit account as you need to go in person to the a branch to verify identity and provide canadian address before cheque accounts can be opened. Also chequeing accounts have a monthly fee which you obviously don't want to be paying if you open an account a few months before you actually arrive.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:44 am
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

Can I ask how much does it cost to transfer money from my Uk bank to My canada bank once I am out there and open it.
I plan to just phone my uk local barclays branch and get them to transfer it over.
I have heard about HiFx but dont know much about it and the easy way is direct bank to bank. I guess must be quicker as well as I will need to do the tranfer soon as I open my bank account out there
Old May 24th 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

RodseyUK will become famous soon enoughRodseyUK will become famous soon enough

Fees for transferring your money will vary depending upon who your UK Bank is, who the Canadian Bank is and whether you transfer Bank to Bank or via a currency broker.

RBC charge $15.00 for processing incoming electronic transfers.

Most currency brokers do not charge for transactions over £5000.

I wouldn't bother asking Barclays to do the transfer, if you have access to internet banking with them you could do the tranfer yourself for free.

Remeber that if you just transfer from bank to bank then the exchange rate will be far less than if you use a currency broker which could mean a difference of several thousands of dollars depending upon how much you are transferring.

Last edited by RodseyUK; May 24th 2007 at 9:35 am.
Old May 24th 2007, 10:23 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RodseyUK
I wouldn't bother asking Barclays to do the transfer, if you have access to internet banking with them you could do the tranfer yourself for free.
Please explain how. I bank with Barclays and Scotiabank. I was not aware that I could make transfers by myself.

Last edited by Souvenir; May 24th 2007 at 10:44 am. Reason: Makes more sense with the word "not" in it.
Old May 24th 2007, 10:42 am
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

Yes please explain how I can do it myself. I have barclays bank account and have online account. I am planning to open a Royal Bank Canada account when out there.
Old May 24th 2007, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
Yes please explain how I can do it myself. I have barclays bank account and have online account. I am planning to open a Royal Bank Canada account when out there.
If you're with Barclays, Scotiabank might be a better choice for you. They are part of a global alliance.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:14 pm
Your goto Realtor

Ok lets say I go for Scotiabank then. How will this be better then RBC in terms of transfering my money from Barclays to Bank over there. How do I do this online like you mentioned?
Old May 24th 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Dear VerticalHound,

We've been with TD Canada Trust since Aug '05 and every time we've needed help they've been very good.

We have a "Companion" savings account and a Guaranteed Interest Accout with them.

Simon
Old May 24th 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RodseyUK

RBC charge $15.00 for processing incoming electronic transfers.

Most currency brokers do not charge for transactions over £5000.
We use HiFX for currency transfers to our TD Canada Trust accounts. TD charge a $10 fee for every transfer but HiFX refund the charge on proof of the fee.

So far, transferring money hasn't cost us a bean.

Simon
Old May 24th 2007, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
Ok lets say I go for Scotiabank then. How will this be better then RBC in terms of transfering my money from Barclays to Bank over there. How do I do this online like you mentioned?
I'm not sure how to do it online; that's why I asked the question. The Scotia-Barclays link means that I can use both sets of ATMs without paying a fee. Not all Canadian ATMs will accept my Barclays Connect card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.