Wikiposts

open Houses

Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all
Default Re: open Houses

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
If you're planning to move to Burlington, I'd recommend moving south of the QEW. North is the worst version of suburban hell - lots of new house building and very little in the way of infrastructure. I looked at a lot of property that way in the first week I was out here, and rapidly came to the conclusion that I would go nuts in short order if I lived in North Burlington.

Having said that, I like the area south of the QEW and would be tempted to move there, but I eventually settled on Oakville, given the shorter commute to downtown Toronto. Oakville is *a lot* more expensive than Burlington, but I'd recommend it if you can afford it.

HTH

Sarah
Well as it happens, we live in North Burlington in the Suburban Hell that is Headon Forest and I really like it, great area for kids to grow up in as I think they can all play out in the street come spring/summer. I love the newer houses too. what are you looking for by way of infrastructure, I don't understand?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

I loved going to all the 0pen Houses. It is much easier to just turn up than have to make appointments via your agent. We went to lots to get an idea of homes in the different areas and within our price range. You can also find out what sort of house style you prefer - open plan/separate rooms/upstairs laundry/mainfloor laundry/combined livingdining rooms etc etc.

You will also meet lots of Agents and can utilise all their knowledge of the different areas. Our Agent only really knew about schools/commuting/social life in Whitby (we felt obliged to use her as she is a relative - but never again), so we found out a lot of info ourselves at the open houses.

One tip we got was to always check the tag on the furnace - it will tell you how old it is and when last serviced.

In fact I miss going to the open houses - my husband now suggested that we should start going again to get ideas for decorating and for our decking and basement!!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:18 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Well as it happens, we live in North Burlington in the Suburban Hell that is Headon Forest and I really like it, great area for kids to grow up in as I think they can all play out in the street come spring/summer. I love the newer houses too. what are you looking for by way of infrastructure, I don't understand?
Just my personal opinion.

I don't have a car at the moment, and didn't fancy a 20 min walk to get some milk on a Sunday morning. As I'm single, I can't imagine that the social opportunities would be that good for me either. It's just my own personal opinion, which is the only one I can offer!

Where I'm moving to in Oakville, I'm a short walk to downtown, 5 mins from the YMCA, a bit more than that to the Public Library, and a 10 min walk to my nearest bar

Isn't it all horses for courses? *shrug*
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:21 am
Glaswegian

Where I'm moving to in Oakville, I'm a short walk to downtown, 5 mins from the YMCA, a bit more than that to the Public Library, and a 10 min walk to my nearest bar
Oakville is very nice ... you can see the CN tower from the little pier on the lake

Very nice and very, very expensive ... maybe one day I'll move back when I can afford one of the bug houses on the lakeshore

Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:23 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Oakville is very nice ... you can see the CN tower from the little pier on the lake

Very nice and very, very expensive ... maybe one day I'll move back when I can afford one of the bug houses on the lakeshore
Indeed it is, my mortgage is going to be nearly as much as in the UK. It took a lot of soul searching to decide to buy the place I ended up with.

Apparently the lakeshore properties all suffer from the smell of the lake in the summer though. Poetic justice for the cost. A mere snip at $12m
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:36 am
Glaswegian

A mere snip at $12m
That's all?? I'll buy two and knock 'em together to make a double wide!!

Lake Ontario has a less than fresh odor in warm weather ... given what gets dumped in it I'm surprised it isn't flammable

Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:37 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's all?? I'll buy two and knock 'em together to make a double wide!!

Lake Ontario has a less than fresh odor in warm weather ... given what gets dumped in it I'm surprised it isn't flammable

Why do you think their working so hard to get people to quit smoking
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:52 am
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Funny enough I saw a nice house in Oakville on MLS for only $216,000, which is in my range - being a young buck and all (or should I say DOE? Doh!). Hardwoord floors...bright kitchen... if only they were all like that... the thing is, even if I DO start looking now at houses, they'd all be bought and sold...
So, I'm praying Jesus 'll bless me and gimmie my dream house for a good price and get me and my man a JOB... hmmm.... anything else on my wishlist??
I just wish I coulf figure out where the HECK we'll live!
And Daisymoll, I'll be sure to check it out next time - rent a car... its always best to see it for one's own eyeballs.....
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:39 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie
Funny enough I saw a nice house in Oakville on MLS for only $216,000, which is in my range - being a young buck and all (or should I say DOE? Doh!). Hardwoord floors...bright kitchen... if only they were all like that... the thing is, even if I DO start looking now at houses, they'd all be bought and sold...
So, I'm praying Jesus 'll bless me and gimmie my dream house for a good price and get me and my man a JOB... hmmm.... anything else on my wishlist??
I just wish I coulf figure out where the HECK we'll live!
And Daisymoll, I'll be sure to check it out next time - rent a car... its always best to see it for one's own eyeballs.....
Probably north of the QEW in the newer parts of Oakville, and a long, long way from downtown...
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Just my personal opinion.

I don't have a car at the moment, and didn't fancy a 20 min walk to get some milk on a Sunday morning. As I'm single, I can't imagine that the social opportunities would be that good for me either. It's just my own personal opinion, which is the only one I can offer!

Isn't it all horses for courses? *shrug*
I thought that might be the case anyway, things change when you have a family. (Said in a very jovial voice with no offense intended)