Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario to UK licence swap possible in reverse?

Wikiposts

Ontario to UK licence swap possible in reverse?

Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all
Arrow Ontario to UK licence swap possible in reverse?

I am assuming when I swap my UK licence for an Ontario one that if I ever decide to return to the UK that I can do the same in reverse and get my uk one back?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ontario to UK licence swap possible in reverse?

what they tell us canadians coming into UK..if you passed your cdn test on a standard transmission, even swap....if you passed on a automatic transmission..they will give you straight swap...ONLY FOR AUTO....
I would if it were me, copy my british license by scanning, and keep a copy for your records to prove you had UK license. But in a word yes they will swap back and they take your cdn license
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:22 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
I am assuming when I swap my UK licence for an Ontario one that if I ever decide to return to the UK that I can do the same in reverse and get my uk one back?
You still have a UK license so you contact DVLA for a replacement.

Simples!!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

u dont have a problem, make a copy of yr lic and also what u can d is report it missing, I did this when i came back to UK. i was not ready for or not ready to confuse my slef with the auto n standard, honestly , now that i am back I hate the standard and wow North America auto way to go. as I am now preferring my mum's auto than my nice suited standard... Looking to self asap to upgrade my maxima when am back with PR
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bflava
u dont have a problem, make a copy of yr lic and also what u can d is report it missing, I did this when i came back to UK. i was not ready for or not ready to confuse my slef with the auto n standard, honestly , now that i am back I hate the standard and wow North America auto way to go. as I am now preferring my mum's auto than my nice suited standard... Looking to self asap to upgrade my maxima when am back with PR
I couldn't have said it better myself
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:40 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
You still have a UK license so you contact DVLA for a replacement.

Simples!!
Exactly. They also give you a scanned copy of your UK license when they swap it in Canada. I had no problem getting another one from the DVLA.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all

Thanks guys that makes me feel much better about giving over my beautiful uk license I worked so hard to get
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think reporting it missing is a terrifically sensible plan since the Ontario people send your original information back to the DVLA, thus they know you've swapped.

Another case of honesty being the best (or at least the simplest) policy.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

what would happen as i passed my bike test in canada,as i never held bike licence in uk.
would i be allowed to ride motorcycle if i visit uk.
james
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to go to the trouble of committing fraud...you can just ask for a new license. It's a good idea to make a copy that way you can quote your license number when you apply for a replacement.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:27 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by jamesmc
what would happen as i passed my bike test in canada,as i never held bike licence in uk.
would i be allowed to ride motorcycle if i visit uk.
james
Not sure of the answer but i'm in the opposite situation. Riding/Racing bikes for over 10 years in the UK on a full license yet i think i have to re-take in BC.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:28 am
Just Joined

ascholte is an unknown quantity at this point

No sure about UK license, but a Dutch one cannot be swapped. I had to take the theory and G test (you do skip the gradual license piece)
Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
You never lose your UK licence......They take the photocard off you and leave you with the paper part......Photocards expire after 10 years...(Yes they do....we have just had to renew...they send out reminders) but the paper one is issued until old age!!!!
So presumably you just send in for a new photocard and address change...pay the fee...send the piccies and VOILA!
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
Old Feb 13th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Should you let your Canadian license lapse, can you still simply renew your English driving license. Thankyou.