Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario, North bay or near by advice.....

Ontario, North bay or near by advice.....

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario, North bay or near by advice.....

Originally Posted by AdynLucyC
I don't want a move for financial benefits to ruin their chances.
I would double check that the move will benefit you financially, by the time you've paid to move your family over and get set up, and given the cost of living in Canada. Maybe start a new thread with info about his salary and your anticipated budget, and those in ON can tell you if it's realistic or not?

Also if your OH is a trucker (you've not confirmed that but just going on your previous threads) you wouldn't be able to work so you'd definitely have to rely on his income only. Your teenager wouldn't be able to work either - just in case that's important to him/her and they wanted a part-time job.

Originally Posted by AdynLucyC
although staying here in the UK we probably won't be able to afford the uni fees!!! Lol x
I'd check out tuition fees in Canada, particularly if you wouldn't have PR by then and you have to pay international tuition rates for your eldest.

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
If it were my family, though, I must say that I'd want greater clarity on my OH's employment prospects, prospects of being posted elsewhere within Canada, and options for remaining in the country long-term, before committing to a move that will likely cost several thousand pounds by the time you get here.
+1. It'll cost a lot more than 'several thousand' (figures around £20-25k seem to be the average for a family), and to move somewhere where you can't even apply for PR (again, assuming he is getting a trucking job) , and with a teenager presumably at a fairly crucial point in their education, is a heck of a risk.

AdynLucyC, you're obviously planning a long term move as you're talking about uni etc, but if you move on a TWP to ON, then you can't stay beyond the max of 4 years for any foreign worker. I know a move to BC is the plan, but that's very risky - what if the employer changes their mind, or the PNP removes their stream for truckers etc?? Would it not be better to move to a province where you know you can apply for PR such as MB or SK?

Just my thoughts anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 2nd 2015 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario, North bay or near by advice.....

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Seriously? Come north for an hour, Mosquitos are nasty. Have had a couple of sleepless nights while they drive me crazy!!
Must be the concrete jungle that surrounds me... I'll come north to see you and bring my fly swatter and my Deet...