British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Ontario or Newfoundland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ontario-newfoundland-705160/)

eyeoftheocean Feb 12th 2011 11:02 pm

Ontario or Newfoundland

My hubby and I are considering moving from Ontario to NL , is there anyone on this forum who knows if there is much work there and houses to rent ?

Thanks in advance :)

Atlantic Xpat Feb 12th 2011 11:40 pm

Re: Ontario or Newfoundland

That all depends upon what you want to do. The economy is buoyant here (in St. John's at least) but on the flipside there is less industry here than in Ontario by a very large factor.

What jobs are you looking for?

There is a high occupancy rate on rental properties but it is not impossible IMO to find somewhere.

nldfc Feb 13th 2011 1:02 am

Go for it - never had a problem sourcing a house to rent in my 1st 5 years here

Never had a problem with work either :thumbup:

eyeoftheocean Feb 13th 2011 1:06 am

My hubby is a dry waller and taper and I am an experienced seamstress , also I have worked in retail and bars .

Whats the going rate for rent ? its only until we can settle then buy property soonish .

nldfc Feb 13th 2011 1:13 am

1,200 pou is about average for a 3 bedroom house - depending on what you are looking for - you can get basement apartments for a lot cheaper or a 6 bedroom mansion on an acre for a lot more :thumbup:

nldfc Feb 13th 2011 1:15 am

Dry walling taper wouldnt have to look too far around for work here (I have no idea of the rates etc )

Retail & bars etc are always looking

eyeoftheocean Feb 13th 2011 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 9172275)
1,200 pou is about average for a 3 bedroom house - depending on what you are looking for - you can get basement apartments for a lot cheaper or a 6 bedroom mansion on an acre for a lot more :thumbup:

I think a house would be better as living in an apartment with 2 small erm ish dogs .......rottweilers LOL:cool: would become a little cramped .

do you have any links to renting and jobs ?

Thanks in advance .

pinkmcfarquhar Feb 13th 2011 12:25 pm

rentals:

http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classif...Estate/Rentals

jobs:

http://www.jobsinnl.ca/

The retail job certainly shouldn't be a problem - over the next few months, one of the retail areas is being majorly developed - new Best Buy, Pet Smart, biggest Rona in Atlantic Canada, new Canadian Tire, Walmart extended. Maybe not the ideal jobs, but at least it should be easy enough to pick up work to start with.

eyeoftheocean Feb 13th 2011 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar (Post 9173206)
rentals:

http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classif...Estate/Rentals

jobs:

http://www.jobsinnl.ca/

The retail job certainly shouldn't be a problem - over the next few months, one of the retail areas is being majorly developed - new Best Buy, Pet Smart, biggest Rona in Atlantic Canada, new Canadian Tire, Walmart extended. Maybe not the ideal jobs, but at least it should be easy enough to pick up work to start with.

Thanks for info ..looking through now .

Whats the weight of a dog to call it large LOL ..my smallest is 100lbs, seen so may for rent but they say no large dogs .

pinkmcfarquhar Feb 13th 2011 2:22 pm

um, I reckon that 100lbs would definitely count as a large dog!

eyeoftheocean Feb 13th 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar (Post 9173426)
um, I reckon that 100lbs would definitely count as a large dog!

Me too and thats the smalles dog hehhehe ...theres loads of jobs there ! just need to wait on PR now :) and find a house .

Atlantic Xpat Feb 13th 2011 4:48 pm

Finding a rental that will take dogs - large or small - is likely to be a challenge. My brother in law rents (c$900 for a main floor 3 bed apartment, & thats a steal of a deal) & they have 2 cats and it took a while to find somewhere. The property market for both sale and rental is fairly buoyant here. In fact property price inflation has made the rental market even more competititve as some people are now priced out of the purchase market. Entry level property in St John's is $250k. You will need $300k+ for anything more decent.

As PinkMcF & nldc say there are jobs to be had, but do come here with your eyes open! I'd also encourage visiting before moving here. It is a wonderful place but it is not for everyone. It is expensive to get to and from Newfoundland and the weather can be challenging at times.;)

eyeoftheocean Feb 13th 2011 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9173609)
Finding a rental that will take dogs - large or small - is likely to be a challenge. My brother in law rents (c$900 for a main floor 3 bed apartment, & thats a steal of a deal) & they have 2 cats and it took a while to find somewhere. The property market for both sale and rental is fairly buoyant here. In fact property price inflation has made the rental market even more competititve as some people are now priced out of the purchase market. Entry level property in St John's is $250k. You will need $300k+ for anything more decent.

As PinkMcF & nldc say there are jobs to be had, but do come here with your eyes open! I'd also encourage visiting before moving here. It is a wonderful place but it is not for everyone. It is expensive to get to and from Newfoundland and the weather can be challenging at times.;)

We are coming for a few days in a few month , just to look around , get the feel of the place you know ! whats the coldest temp it gets to there ??? any less than -30 , I may have to think twice :rofl:

Novocastrian Feb 13th 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by eyeoftheocean (Post 9173941)
We are coming for a few days in a few month , just to look around , get the feel of the place you know ! whats the coldest temp it gets to there ??? any less than -30 , I may have to think twice :rofl:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc....s=&StnId=6722&

Atlantic Xpat Feb 13th 2011 9:26 pm

Tonight is -9 and thats about as cold as it ever gets. It is blowing a gale so the windchill is -20something though. One thing about Newfoundland, it's always windy here.

eyeoftheocean Feb 13th 2011 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9174034)
Tonight is -9 and thats about as cold as it ever gets. It is blowing a gale so the windchill is -20something though. One thing about Newfoundland, it's always windy here.

I can deal with that temp no probs :) I have hardened up to Ontario weather , -30/35 temps ..arggggg thats cold brrrrrrrrr..

I believe the people of NL are very much like the Irish people, and may have come from Ireland ? my family are Irish , so we will get on just fine (hopefully) there .

been looking through property prices , and some are very good prices :)

Lilipuddlian Mar 5th 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9174034)

I think that if you worked in the service industry, that living in Newfoundland would be much more fun than living in Ontario. I was born in Ontario and have lived here my whole life. *IF* you can find work in Nfld, I think that would be a blast! Depends on what lifestyle you are after.