Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario - employment laws ?

Ontario - employment laws ?

Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future
Default Ontario - employment laws ?

Hi

anyone advise how employment laws eg. redundancy payouts etc. compare in Ontario to the UK average ?

any examples of how a big company would payout in such circumstances as against the legal min ?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 28th 2010 at 12:26 pm. Reason: No need for that
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:22 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario - employment laws ?

Originally Posted by 2008orbust
Hi

anyone advise how employment laws eg. redundancy payouts etc. compare in Ontario to the UK average ?

any examples of how a big company would payout in such circumstances as against the legal min ?

and anyone who is upset with me asking a question can get stuffed

but seasons greetings to the rest of you

IANAL but having recently been on the receiving end of this process, I believe there is very little provision for statutory payments beyond pay-in-lieu-of-notice until you have at least five years' service with an employer; after that there's a pro-rated scale of a week's pay per year of service.

My lot were a bit more generous than that. I know some people whose employers (often large companies) just about met the legal minimum criteria, and others who were much more generous than mine. It depends on what your position was with the company, what you negotiated when you were hired, whether there's a global company standard more generous than statutory provisions....

Hang on, there are some more details here:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ontario+severan...+standards&l=1
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Legally the employment laws in Ontario offer a lot less protection / compensation for workers.

You can be fired for pretty much anything without warning, and you will not be legally entitled to much in the way of a pay off. (one weeks pay per year worked perhaps... could be wrong about that)

However, some employers go beyond the legal minimums, so really it depends who you work for, but the legal minimums and protection for workers here are IMO far poorer than the UK, which if anything goes too far the other way.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

point taken on legal minimums but i know in the UK the legal min is very low as well its just that almost everyone gets much more than that form their company

been there done that . . .

thanks for the info though