Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario College of Teachers

Ontario College of Teachers

Old Feb 6th 2017, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future
Default Ontario College of Teachers

Hi All

Now a PR in Canada and have had my application for membership of the Ontario College of Teachers rejected. Obviously I can appeal but I have been told that I need to complete another years worth of full time study at undergraduate level.

Totally farcical. I have been teaching in the UK for the last 10 and a half years and 5 years of this as a Deputy Head Teacher. The OCT application does not even consider professional experience merely academic experience in the application process.

I am not looking for a lecture on this, just anyone with any knowledge of the OCT application process, successful appeals etc.

Cheers.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario College of Teachers

On what grounds was your application refused?
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

That my degree wasn't four years long (effectively) but 3. Yeah. I kid not. Absurd.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Without more details, it sounds as if there's an error somewhere. I don't know whether it's on the OCT side or on the applicant side.

The requirements/instructions for applications seem quite clear & acknowledge the existence of 3 yr degrees from the UK.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

The OCT response:

As stated in Section A) of the credential assessment report dealing with Academic requirements you received, to be acceptable, the degree must be considered equivalent to a degree granted by an Ontario postsecondary institution. It must also represent a minimum of three years of study, or three years and four semesters of study if the program combines academic and professional coursework.

As Bachelor of Education (Honours), which combined academic and professional coursework, was three years in duration, this credential does not represent three years and four semesters of study in total, and therefore, it does not satisfy the academic registration requirement.

As stated in Section B) of the credential assessment report, we have allocated two years of your three-year Bachelor of Education (Honours) program towards satisfying the College’s academic registration requirement.

To become certified to teach in Ontario, you must complete five full degree-credit courses (equivalent to one year of full-time study) at an approved postsecondary institution.

I will probably be submitting an appeal.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bramallblade
The OCT response:

As stated in Section A) of the credential assessment report dealing with Academic requirements you received, to be acceptable, the degree must be considered equivalent to a degree granted by an Ontario postsecondary institution. It must also represent a minimum of three years of study, or three years and four semesters of study if the program combines academic and professional coursework.

As Bachelor of Education (Honours), which combined academic and professional coursework, was three years in duration, this credential does not represent three years and four semesters of study in total, and therefore, it does not satisfy the academic registration requirement.

As stated in Section B) of the credential assessment report, we have allocated two years of your three-year Bachelor of Education (Honours) program towards satisfying the College’s academic registration requirement.

To become certified to teach in Ontario, you must complete five full degree-credit courses (equivalent to one year of full-time study) at an approved postsecondary institution.

I will probably be submitting an appeal.
It looks to me as if the devil is in the details . See bolded & underlined by me above.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah. I get that. I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of a successful appeal really.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bramallblade
Yeah. I get that. I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of a successful appeal really.
Sorry, I don't .

I've pinged/alerted a couple of teachers (originally from outside Canada ) to see if they can shed any light.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Sorry, I don't .

I've pinged/alerted a couple of teachers (originally from outside Canada ) to see if they can shed any light.
That's really good of you. Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Sorry, I don't .

Technically it should be five years of study. Four as an undergraduate and a year in teacher education. I think they are taking the OP's experience into account and they are letting them off lightly.

On a more practical note, I'd suggest getting hold of records/transcripts of professional development courses they completed in the UK and then setting out a narrative to show how these add up to at least a year's worth of educational progression. If that fails, then just jump through their hoops and try and find the experience rewarding.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

PM me with full details or I will send you my email.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Technically it should be five years of study. Four as an undergraduate and a year in teacher education. I think they are taking the OP's experience into account and they are letting them off lightly.

On a more practical note, I'd suggest getting hold of records/transcripts of professional development courses they completed in the UK and then setting out a narrative to show how these add up to at least a year's worth of educational progression. If that fails, then just jump through their hoops and try and find the experience rewarding.
Its now 4 semesters of teacher ed rather than one year in Ontario....
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:09 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin1000
Its now 4 semesters of teacher ed rather than one year in Ontario....
So two years then?
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
So two years then?
Regulation specifies "four semesters". Which may or may not mean two years. In that classic Canadian way obviously.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lmartin1000
PM me with full details or I will send you my email.
I'll email you tomorrow. I'm going to appeal but will probably be a complete waste of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.