Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

Im insured with Wawanesa and they let me use my no claims bonus from the UK!
Old Nov 7th 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ,
we use Johnson Insurance and they accepted my 14 years no claims from the UK all I had to do was show them my last no claims certificate from Direct Line in the UK and a copy of my DVLA green part.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 4:14 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi ,
we use Johnson Insurance and they accepted my 14 years no claims from the UK all I had to do was show them my last no claims certificate from Direct Line in the UK and a copy of my DVLA green part.
I pay $170 per month.

It reduced when I cut down to just 6,000km per year.

They are always calling me trying to tell me that I must be doing more to try and push it up.

I think km's and postcode are the biggest factors.

I'm with State Farm and have investigated going elsewhere several times but never found anything cheaper for my Honda Civic.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Photoplex
This is the status quo in Alberta too.
Not at all, car insurance in Ontario is completely different matter. Plenty of companies here will take in to account UK history and our premiums are tiny compared to Ontario.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been here a few months and my car insurance is £2,900 for the year (UK experience not taken into account). I knew it was going to be in this region before I got here though. Just have to suck it up I'm afraid painful though it is.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

My wife and I in out mid 40's, no accidents for at least 15 years was quoted $7,000 for both of us on a Ford Edge ( Markham /Toronto area ). We told them to poke it.
Its just one big scam here. We came from US where we had two cars and our rate was about $1,400 USD. There is no justification for the rates, unless most people drive uninsured and the few get punished
Old Nov 11th 2014, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred16
There is no justification for the rates, unless most people drive uninsured and the few get punished
According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada about a quarter of the vehicles in Ontario are driven without insurance. I don't think this has much bearing on insurance rates; people drive without insurance because they've been priced out (I did so myself for seven or eight years). The rates are high because people in Ontario drive badly and then get litigious about it.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 12:58 am
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Two years later, I now have that much vaunted "Canadian experience" and we are paying about $2K a year for two vehicles.

As for the general cost of car insurance, I think the winter conditions here are obviously a factor and, with all due respect, I have found Canadian drivers to be generally more complacent than those back in the UK. But that's for another thread.
Yeah, that's the thing though, I've been here for three years now and I only have one vehicle. I haven't had any accidents here in Canada. In Quebec I was paying just $600 a year and the winters were worse where I was living than they are in my new location.

Anyway, I seem to have found something fairly cheap but don't want to jinx myself before it's finalised...

Thanks for the help everyone!

Cat
Old Nov 12th 2014, 12:59 am
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Muskoka
I've only been here a few months and my car insurance is £2,900 for the year (UK experience not taken into account). I knew it was going to be in this region before I got here though. Just have to suck it up I'm afraid painful though it is.
But I've been here for three years so I have more driving history here. My insurance should really be cheaper than yours!
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:01 am
is awesome

Originally Posted by Fred16
My wife and I in out mid 40's, no accidents for at least 15 years was quoted $7,000 for both of us on a Ford Edge ( Markham /Toronto area ). We told them to poke it.
Its just one big scam here. We came from US where we had two cars and our rate was about $1,400 USD. There is no justification for the rates, unless most people drive uninsured and the few get punished
Ouch! $7,000 is ridiculous!
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:02 am
is awesome

Originally Posted by dbd33
According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada about a quarter of the vehicles in Ontario are driven without insurance. I don't think this has much bearing on insurance rates; people drive without insurance because they've been priced out (I did so myself for seven or eight years). The rates are high because people in Ontario drive badly and then get litigious about it.
Is it legal to drive without insurance? I'm guessing not but if 25% of drivers are without insurance then how is it policed??? If they get caught, are they facing jail time?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Johnson Insurance. I'll send you the rep's contact details by private message.
Can you send those details to me too please
Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2015, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

cadinsmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I too have moved to Kingston and am facing the same high insurance rates! I was wondering if you had managed to sort out your insurance and if so, with which company?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by catpea33
Hi all,

I've found myself in a situation that I'm finding hard to resolve so I'm hoping someone here has been through similar and can let me know what steps they took! I changed my car license plates to Ontario from Quebec recently and I thought everything was fine and dandy. My car insurance from Quebec had transferred my file to Ontario and I received the details for that, which allowed me to get the plates. Fast forward just over a week (maybe two) and the Ontario division of the insurance company has come to me saying that they can't honour the insurance cost I've been paying because I 'don't have enough driving experience.' (Surely they should have checked that earlier??)

They're now saying that my Ontario license doesn't match the info Quebec provided. Quebec basically honoured my 10 years no-claims driving history in the UK and I've had no accidents in Quebec so I now have 13 years no-claims history. I asked about providing a DVLA driving history certificate and letters from my UK car insurance company as proof but they said that the problem lies in my Ontario license and that it shows me as being a new driver in Canada from October 2012 (which is the date I got my Quebec license, which I had to surrender to get my Ontario license) and so that's the only information the insurance company have to go on.

As a result of this, my new quote for continued coverage was $2,100 for just six months. Obviously I refused to pay that frankly extortionate amount (a full year of coverage would be just under what I paid for my car in 2013!) and so now I don't have any car insurance and can't use my car. It's a bit of a problem because it takes me over an hour to get into work by bus (just 10km!) so I'd like to resolve it as quickly as possible.

Has anybody been in this situation with the info held on the Ontario license and UK experience not being taken into account? How did you get round this? I'm hoping it would be as simple as taking my proof of UK experience (DVLA document, etc) to DriveSafe to see if they can add it to my electronic license info but maybe I'm dreaming...

Thanks for any help you can give!
Catherine
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:44 pm
is awesome

Originally Posted by cadinsmore
Hi

I too have moved to Kingston and am facing the same high insurance rates! I was wondering if you had managed to sort out your insurance and if so, with which company?

Thanks!
I did! I went with Johnson in the end and I feel like I got a good deal because they recognised my UK experience. Certainly significantly better than the other quotes I received!
Old Jan 20th 2015, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catpea33
I did! I went with Johnson in the end and I feel like I got a good deal because they recognised my UK experience. Certainly significantly better than the other quotes I received!
+1

I got the best deal with Johnson too. Although I wouldn't call it "a good deal" - I'm still paying 16x (sixteen times) more then I did back in England.

The other quotes were up to 25x more...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.