Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario Car Insurance for ex-pats

Ontario Car Insurance for ex-pats

Old Jan 1st 2013, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Car Insurance for ex-pats

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah, my child who's on one of those rotating training programs has just done her spell in the Department of Deportations, Prison and Police Brutality ("I can't wait to get back to Drugs", a department she previously thought to flogging a dead horse). She suggests that deportation is improbable for a Provincial offence, especially an administrative one.
True unless it is coupled with a DUI, dangerous driving offence or offence mentioned in sections 249 to 253 of the Criminal Code. Possible but highly unlikely.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al8565
Hi,

I've heard that new immigrants have to start again with car insurance, can't transfer any no claims history, so car insurance going to be very expensive.

Can anyone recommend a car insurance company for new people to Ontario. Seems $250 a month for 2 cars is the norm?

Thanks,

Alister
We used a local broker who found us a decent deal with an insurer who took some of our UK history into account. Mind you, if you've got $250 a month for 2 cars to start off then you are doing well
I try to console myself in the hope that the cost of "gas" will more than offset the insurance cost over the year.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dashie
Definitely bring your NCD proof. It can be expensive yes, call lots of brokers where you move to (which area?) as we found only one out of 4 actually called back. I'm guessing the other 3 knew they couldn't do much for an expat.
We'll be moving to Waterloo, good idea to try some brokers.

I did a TD Bank online quote, seems like it will cost us about C$180 a month per car. That must be more than I paid as a 17 year old with no experience.

The type of car doesn't seem to make much difference.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

sarahloo is on a distinguished road

i came here 7 yrs ago with a clean uk driving license and over 20 yrs experience and it meant nothing over here . Had to start from scratch with the insurance company i am using Johnson but they wouldnt look at my no claims . Insurance is high over here but when you see how the idiots drive its not surprising.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

priceycheese is an unknown quantity at this point

At least I won't be able to say I wasn't forewarned what lies in wait for me when I arrive in the GTA :-)

I'll gather DVLA record and as much no-claims history as possible before I come over, and at least now I can look forward to driving pretty much anything I can afford which takes my fancy. Every cloud...
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There again according to this article the UK system is broken and costs are also rising
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog...miums-going-up

The car insurance market is broken. As a country, we're paying around £10bn a year to insure our cars, and billions of that is wasted. According to the AA, drivers in Britain fork out an average of nearly £1,000 each to insure their cars, up from around £350 in 1994.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 3:10 am
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

if you are self employed, have a look at becoming a member of your local chamber of commerce. I think it was about $150 to join but you can get a 10% discount with certain insurance companies. I think our saving was about $350 with State Farm.
Johnson's were very offhand and it wasn't practical for us to use them. The
2nd year, we got a better quote than State and switched.