Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario budget

Ontario budget

Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:24 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ontario budget

What does anyone else make of the Ontario budget? I am thinking with the freeze on public-sector wages, the cutting back on much needed transit developments, and the prospect of Rossi as Mayor in Toronto I am going to take my $ and head back to the UK asap.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario budget

Originally Posted by lmartin999
What does anyone else make of the Ontario budget? I am thinking with the freeze on public-sector wages, the cutting back on much needed transit developments, and the prospect of Rossi as Mayor in Toronto I am going to take my $ and head back to the UK asap.
I take it you work in the public sector. I suspect that you are now feeling what those in the private sector have been feeling for some time.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:41 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish I was a teacher...Actually I don't as I wouldn't want to own this.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...s-pension-plan

Quite bizarre...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:43 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about Ontario or its budget, but I for one am not impressed with Alistair Darling's budget. Ten pence on cider, he's having a laugh? ANother reason I'm glad I left 'Great' Britain as I like a drop of the old Magners. If they carry on like this there won't be anybody left in the country to tax.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Other than swapping Rossi for Brown how is it different in the UK? If there aren't cutbacks and freezes now there will be after the election.

I just wish I was a teacher...Actually I don't as I wouldn't want to own this.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...s-pension-plan

Quite bizarre...
Bizarre how?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:49 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Ten pence on cider, he's having a laugh?
I view this as a personal assault. A vendetta, if you will. You can only push people so far before they snap. He will rue the day he messed with the cider, oh yes.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I view this as a personal assault. A vendetta, if you will. You can only push people so far before they snap. He will rue the day he messed with the cider, oh yes.
Surely not a bother if it's only on Magners.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:25 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's the principle of the thing.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Its on all cider I believe. He's just pandering to the fear of the middle class. There's a big difference between enjoying a nice pint of Magners on a summer's evening in a pub garden while causally chatting about the folly of logical positivism than downing four litres of White Lightening while setting fire to the skip behind the Chinese take-away in the precinct and pissing on Mrs. Jones's garden gnomes on the way home.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

Its on all cider I believe. He's just pandering to the fear of the middle class. There's a big difference between enjoying a nice pint of Magners on a summer's evening in a pub garden while causally chatting about the folly of logical positivism than downing four litres of White Lightening while setting fire to the skip behind the Chinese take-away in the precinct and pissing on Mrs. Jones's garden gnomes on the way home.
There is actually going to be some debate as to what cider it is in relation to. Believe it or not the argument in tax land being that cider should be for drinks made from apples only as pear and the other flavours of "cider" aren't really cider after all. It will be pretty unlikely that Kopaberg, for example, will manage to swindle a way out of the price hike but HMRC are having to actually define what cider is. It's nonsense like this that p1sses me off more than the actual price hike itself!

And I'll have you know that White Lightening with a little Ribena is a fine a way to get minced, almost as much as Cherry Lambrini with Vodka...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:29 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, so its you thats has been pissing on my garden gnomes is it.