Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Only 2 weeks annual leave in Canada?????

Only 2 weeks annual leave in Canada?????

Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

aahtuk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Only 2 weeks annual leave in Canada?????

Originally Posted by aledscave
Am deciding on whether to apply to Australia or Canada for permanent residency (hopefully one of them will take me). I have read several sources lately that the majority of Canadian workers only receive 2 weeks annual paid holiday leave. Can anyone confirm this. It may seem a trivial issue for some, but with a young son, this would really sway my decision towards Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Aled.
My firm gives 3 weeks after first year of work. But the beauty is on top of that we get about 3 weeks sick leave and most of the time sick leave (up to 5 days) does not have to be documented by a doctor, so it comes down to having about 6 weeks per year paid vacation. This is soooo comparable with European standards - I am thrilled.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:04 am
Amos Amatit Again!

GillyC will become famous soon enoughGillyC will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aahtuk
My firm gives 3 weeks after first year of work. But the beauty is on top of that we get about 3 weeks sick leave and most of the time sick leave (up to 5 days) does not have to be documented by a doctor, so it comes down to having about 6 weeks per year paid vacation. This is soooo comparable with European standards - I am thrilled.

Ooh you lucky so and so - where do you work? Name names!

Actually I've heard of this before and it's a bit weird (for me anyway) in that to me, sick leave is exactly what it is - sick leave for when you're really not feeling well! I rarely took sickies in Scotland but here it definitely seems to be more common that people take "sick days" to get some time off, even when a company hasn't actually stipulated that they have a sick day quota (like my old one). Here, owing to the paltry number of holidays, I found myself taking more sick days just so I could have a day off and potter around the house or simply have a rest. It felt quite dishonest though. I would much rather have more bona fide holidays rather than rely on sickies to get me through! It's a different culture I guess.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Freya is an unknown quantity at this point

The idea of two weeks holiday is one of the only negatives I have about moving to Canada.....My husband is a contractor and as such will only be paid for the hours he works and therefore, theoretically will be able to take as much time off as he likes and I'd be stock with only two weeks.

I think that to move halfway across the world, it would be nice to be able to take some time to travel and explore what will be my new homeland.

At the moment I am seriously thinking about not working full time for this reason.

How common is taking unpaid leave and how is taking it seen? I've heard it is a lot more acceptable than here in the UK - where they would look at you strangely if you made such a request
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:02 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hangman
I was one of those government employees for 25 years (Air Traffic Control) before being privatized and what you are describing is certainly not the norm in my experience.

What you are describing would be disgusting in any work place and should be reported and dealt with, but don't try to tar all government employees with the same brush.
Well, I've never dealt with air traffic control. I have, however dealt with municipal government, the WCB, tax authorities and a couple of now privatized departments in Ontario (federal and provincial) and Alberta. I've worked in these places as a contractor brought in to do the job of someone who didn't want to do the work and just sat there while I did. I expect there are unionised corporations in private industry that work the same way but I haven't experienced that so, as far as I can see, people in private industry work while government employees are just employed.

Spitting in general is not frowned upon here, btw. My mocking of the spitter puts me on thin ice in terms of the organisational policies on diversity.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:43 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd

Spitting in general is not frowned upon here, btw. My mocking of the spitter puts me on thin ice in terms of the organisational policies on diversity.
Are you saying spitting is not frowned upon in general in Canada or just this particular workplace?

My experience in my 42 years in Canada is that spitting IS frowned upon and especially in the work place.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:57 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hangman
Are you saying spitting is not frowned upon in general in Canada or just this particular workplace?

My experience in my 42 years in Canada is that spitting IS frowned upon and especially in the work place.
I don't know about Canada in general as, apart from a couple of trips to Calgary, I've only ever worked in Ontario (within Canada). I'm currently working downtown and in Markham, spitting in the street is usual in both locations. Spitting in the office is only common downtown.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:09 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

Originally Posted by dbd
My mocking of the spitter puts me on thin ice in terms of the organisational policies on diversity.
I rarely see anyone spit anywhere in Vancouver other than the Chinese seem to like doing it a lot... something to do with keeping the breathing apparatus healthy or something. I find that offensive too.

The whole diversity angle is interesting...my neighbour is Director of Diversity for a health organisation here in Vancouver, I'll be asking her about that one!

Beeezarre!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:20 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

Originally Posted by Freya
The idea of two weeks holiday is one of the only negatives I have about moving to Canada.....My husband is a contractor and as such will only be paid for the hours he works and therefore, theoretically will be able to take as much time off as he likes and I'd be stock with only two weeks.

I think that to move halfway across the world, it would be nice to be able to take some time to travel and explore what will be my new homeland.

At the moment I am seriously thinking about not working full time for this reason.

How common is taking unpaid leave and how is taking it seen? I've heard it is a lot more acceptable than here in the UK - where they would look at you strangely if you made such a request
Unpaid leave is definitely more common and acceptable in companies (my experience has been in the commercial sector). It depends on the company though and also your manager's attitude. My old company didn't have a policy on this per se and it really depended on your manager's attitude towards this and also what role you had. It was all so subjective which made it really difficult to plan anything.

I think it's the whole, company doesn't want to pay people to not be there thing. I have taken unpaid leave of up to a week at a time and it hasn't really been a problem. That said it was to go back to the UK to see family and I really laid it on thick about my elderly parents not being able to fly here due to my mum's arthritis etc. I didn't feel good about doing that, although it was true. There was a little but of humming and hawing about it, "Hmm it's not really a good time blah blah". It never was a good time in that company and sorry but life's too short. I hadn't been home in 2.5 years at that point.

I thin if you work in Govt jobs (well you've been reading all about them) flexi-time is more common and generally they seem to get more hols. I love it how the govt allows business to keep the hols to a minimum but ensures it has the perks for itself - the collective monster that is is!

If exploring the country that you've moved to is high on your list of priorities it may be a good idea for you to find either flexible work or part time at least initially. You're easing yourself in that way. After 6 weeks in Canada I was straight into corporate hell and after 7 months I was completely frazzed!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:25 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GillyC
I rarely see anyone spit anywhere in Vancouver other than the Chinese seem to like doing it a lot...
Quite.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

daisydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flashj
Its all true, Have been with the same company for 14 years, received 2 weeks paid for 8 years, then after the eigth year employees receive a 3rd payed week. Problem is I would go back to 2 weeks paid rather than move back to the uk, if ya want tons of paid vacation become a teacher they get 2 weeks at xmas, 9 weeks in the summer, a week at march break etc, etc. This should start a new I'm a downtrodden uderpaid 10 month contract whiner teacher thread for sure!!
Hi where are you in muskoka? I live in Huntsville
oh and I am a teacher!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:32 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Freya
My employer had a policy that allows you to take unpaid leave if you're not doing billable work and its a quiet time of year.

Another company I didn't take a job with had a policy of laying people off who spent too long on the bench - they were very open about it and mentioned it at the interview.