Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Online Shopping Canada

Online Shopping Canada

Old Apr 30th 2018, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Shopping Canada

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
M&S was here at one time. They’re probably an upscale version of Littlewoods. There were stores in malls in and around Toronto. Unfortunately it’s merchandising methods didn’t go over well in Canada (North America) and they lost a fair chunk of change. Eventually they closed shop and slumped off the continent, I think in the late 70s/early80s. I liked their food halls but found their clothing old fashioned in terms of NA at that time.

True ............ Canadians didn't take to the idea of buying clothes without trying them on in the store. That led to fitting rooms being put in the stores here, and then eventually into stores in the UK.

You can buy from M&S England online, one of my friends does it at least once a year. I don't understand why .......... as pc said, their clothing has always seemed a little old fashioned, and that "quality" which I used to love also seems to have been lost. I never went near an M&S store on my last 2 visits to the UK.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 10:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
M&S was here at one time. They’re probably an upscale version of Littlewoods. There were stores in malls in and around Toronto. Unfortunately it’s merchandising methods didn’t go over well in Canada (North America) and they lost a fair chunk of change. Eventually they closed shop and slumped off the continent, I think in the late 70s/early80s. I liked their food halls but found their clothing old fashioned in terms of NA at that time.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think Piff Poff mentioned Littlewoods because of the catalogue offering credit terms for buying stuff rather than the physical store

https://contactnumbers.buzz/wp-conte...-catalogue.jpg

I bought some yellow trousers in Littlewoods once.
That's exactly what I was referring too, I know there was Janet Frazer and about 10 others too, but that was the one that sprung to mind the other day.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 10:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
True ............ Canadians didn't take to the idea of buying clothes without trying them on in the store. That led to fitting rooms being put in the stores here, and then eventually into stores in the UK.

You can buy from M&S England online, one of my friends does it at least once a year. I don't understand why .......... as pc said, their clothing has always seemed a little old fashioned, and that "quality" which I used to love also seems to have been lost. I never went near an M&S store on my last 2 visits to the UK.
I order my undies from M&S still, I will be going when we visit UK later this year. Best value and quality imo.
Old May 1st 2018, 2:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
That's exactly what I was referring too, I know there was Janet Frazer and about 10 others too, but that was the one that sprung to mind the other day.
Kays was another.. Freemans, oh and Grattan,

I still remember the canary yellow trouser suit I ordered from one of them back in the 70's lol. (Bristol, we would have been twins!)

Old May 1st 2018, 10:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I still remember the canary yellow trouser suit I ordered from one of them back in the 70's lol. (Bristol, we would have been twins!)

My yellow trousers came from the Littlewoods store just along from C&A. My pink trousers and jeans with bell on were the 70s (Austin's Trouser House) but the yellow trousers were quite a bit later.
Old May 1st 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Kays was another.. Freemans, oh and Grattan,

That's right - I used to get all three lol At Christmas time I would put the toy pages in front of DD and say look in Father Christmas's pages and see what you think you would like
Old May 1st 2018, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

That's right - I used to get all three lol At Christmas time I would put the toy pages in front of DD and say look in Father Christmas's pages and see what you think you would like

We used to do that with the Sears catalogue that I think was delivered to every house in Canada during the '70s and '80s. Later it seemed to be sent to card holders only, then you had to request it, and finally "pick it up in the store". I think I picked up my last Sears Catalogue at the downtown Vancouver store the year before they shut it down

That was the lifeline catalogue for people living up North and in remote areas. Not sure how long Sears kept delivering to those customers.

Canadian Tire is the only one we seem to see now, and it is amazing to see how much more stuff they now stock, even clothes!
Old May 1st 2018, 10:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...At Christmas time I would put the toy pages in front of DD and say look in Father Christmas's pages and see what you think you would like
I used to look at the toys (and games) pages too. As I got older I looked at different pages though.
Old May 1st 2018, 11:42 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I've just discovered something. We've spent the last 2 weeks selecting a new patio set from Costco. Finally chose one and put it in the basket. Went to checkout only to discover the manufacturer won't deliver to our address (comes direct from them). So before you go through the laborious process of choosing a set, make sure they'll deliver!