Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ongoing medical condition - Daughter

Wikiposts

Ongoing medical condition - Daughter

Old May 23rd 2005, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Ongoing medical condition - Daughter

Our daughter (aged 13) has been diagnosed as having a growth hormone deficiency and is likely to need growth hormone treatment for an indefinite period, until she has fully grown. The consultant has told us that the cost of the treatment is quite expensive.

Bearing in mind that the treatment could last for quite a long time, it is possible that it will overlap with our plans to move to Canada.

Two questions.

Is this likely to have a detrimental effect on the medical results for our daughter?

Secondly, if she needs to carry on this expensive treatment in Canada, will we have to fund this ourselves, or are we likely to get insurance cover to cover this expense.

I would really like to know if anyone else has gone through a similar experience.

I look forward to hearing your comments
Old May 23rd 2005, 4:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ongoing medical condition - Daughter

Originally Posted by Gray C
Our daughter (aged 13) has been diagnosed as having a growth hormone deficiency and is likely to need growth hormone treatment for an indefinite period, until she has fully grown. The consultant has told us that the cost of the treatment is quite expensive.

Bearing in mind that the treatment could last for quite a long time, it is possible that it will overlap with our plans to move to Canada.

Two questions.

Is this likely to have a detrimental effect on the medical results for our daughter?

Secondly, if she needs to carry on this expensive treatment in Canada, will we have to fund this ourselves, or are we likely to get insurance cover to cover this expense.

I would really like to know if anyone else has gone through a similar experience.

Nothing quite similar. I do have a daughter who has autism, we would not have been eligible to immigrate with her but it's a permanent condition, the situation with a long term but temporary condition may be different. If you can immigrate then the provinicial health care plan will likely pick up the cost of medication. If they do not, then you're on your own, insurance companies won't touch pre-existing conditions. The good news though is that there's a tax deduction for medical expenses, iirc you can write off 100% of the medical bill and all tenuously related expenses after some very low threshold. We write off medicines, travel costs to hospitals, appliances, all sorts of stuff.
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Two questions.

It would be better to ask the experts on the immigration forum, but I'd think the answer is quite possibly yes.

Jeremy
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:35 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Two questions.

Yes, it very likely will due to the cost of maintaining treatment. They also look at what could be impacted health wise for her as an adult with GHD. I would suggest that you get an answer in writing about this before you plan any further.
Old May 24th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

In our local paper today there is a long article about a doctor who wants to come and work in northern Saskatchewan. Various people in the community are working to get a doctor up there - but he has a daughter who has Down Syndrome and has been getting lots of hassle.

Read the article here -

http://www.canada.com/regina/leaderp...3-9d3743f4265d