Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

One way travel insurance

One way travel insurance

Old Dec 21st 2020, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute
Default One way travel insurance

Hey guys, any recommendation on one way travel insurance companies? I used a comparison site before and put in a single trip for a week, but found out this doesn't work if you're not returning - the insurer was kind enough to offer a full refund.
So I am in the hunt for one way travel insurance for flying next week (yes, essential travel).

I had a quote from go-walkabout - who were very helpful and clear with what they offer, they will cover everything with a 5 or 17 day offer which is enough for me as I have medical cover arranged from the point of arrival, however they won't cover if i catch COVID and cancel. Ideally i would like to have COVID cover, so i am shopping around... called up virgin money who i had travel insurance before - I asked them a bunch of times, this has to be "one way cover" and not single trip cover for a few days, and the lady on the call was very assuring that the cover would be valid for 2 days from the flying date - and would cover for COVID cancellation if medically proven (i.e. test positive on PCR test and cancel) --- and she did check with a manager before being able to issue me this type of quote... but i am a bit worried, because in the email the product info sheet (the green and red flag document clearly specify what's covered and what's not has COVID in the red column). I don't want to trust the word (again assured calls are recorded), purchase something critical as this, and in the worst case scenario, find out i can't claim or something...

Any advice anyone can offer at this time, or if there are solid insurers who offer this type of one way insurance? I have medical cover from the day of arrival, so i only need cover in case of cancellation to cover for flight, quarantine accommodation i already booked and paid as well as other typical travel insurance (delay, baggage lost etc).

Thank you very much
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 1:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way travel insurance

See this post Insurance
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 6:06 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I used https://www.worldnomads.com/uk/travel-insurance. However, that was before COVID-19. I found them very helpful on the phone when I had questions specific to my travel plans.
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 9:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I used https://www.worldnomads.com/uk/travel-insurance. However, that was before COVID-19. I found them very helpful on the phone when I had questions specific to my travel plans.
That works for IEC working holiday, not sure it would work for someone who is emigrating, who doesn't want to be repatriated to the UK.. hence why we say that normal travel insurance won't work for emigrants.. though it might on a TWP..
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 9:44 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I used them when leaving Canada to move to the the UK. I was travelling across Canada into the US and onwards to UK after having sold my home in Canada, therefore unable to buy traditional travel/health insurance as I no longer had an address in Canada
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 9:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lf1
I used them when leaving Canada to move to the the UK. I was travelling across Canada into the US and onwards to UK after having sold my home in Canada, therefore unable to buy traditional travel/health insurance as I no longer had an address in Canada
These people are doing the opposite.
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 10:02 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Aren’t they just going in the opposite direction? I don’t think the insurer cares whether you are emigrating or just travelling.😊
Old Dec 24th 2020, 12:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lf1
Aren’t they just going in the opposite direction? I don’t think the insurer cares whether you are emigrating or just travelling.😊
Actually they do - because if you are seriously ill they will want to repatriate you.. so that you can take advantage of your country's medical scheme -- such as buying UK travel insurance (because you are a resident in the UK - a requirement) .. if you were travelling or living in Canada and became ill they would repatriate you to the UK where medical costs would be free under the NHS.

Expatriate insurance is different to normal travel insurance because you have no intention of returning to your country of residence... always check the small print
Old Dec 24th 2020, 5:42 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

I think the OP should call the insurer, as I suggested, and confirm that the coverage the insurer can provide meets their needs. That’s what I did and as an ex underwriter I know all about small print.
Nomads did not want to repatriate me to Canada. They knew I was leaving Canada and wanted to be sent to the UK in the event of illness. As I was travelling outside of Canada, for about 10 days, I wanted to make sure that the insurer was clear on this point and that is why I purchased from Nomad. If they don’t fit the bill for the OP then at least I have offered a suggestion for them to explore.

Last edited by lf1; Dec 24th 2020 at 5:58 am.
Old Dec 24th 2020, 4:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lf1
I think the OP should call the insurer, as I suggested, and confirm that the coverage the insurer can provide meets their needs. That’s what I did and as an ex underwriter I know all about small print.
Nomads did not want to repatriate me to Canada. They knew I was leaving Canada and wanted to be sent to the UK in the event of illness. As I was travelling outside of Canada, for about 10 days, I wanted to make sure that the insurer was clear on this point and that is why I purchased from Nomad. If they don’t fit the bill for the OP then at least I have offered a suggestion for them to explore.
If I recall correctly you were a Brit returning to live in the UK after spending 30 odd years in Canada - so you would have been entitled to NHS treatment free of charge, I expect that's why they wanted you to have treatment there, lol.. no cost to them! That's a little different to someone leaving the UK permanently and relocating to Canada, not travelling outside of the UK for just 10 days..

Always worth a phone call, of course, but there are other companies offering to include Covid under specific circumstances, unfortunately it would appear that WorldNomad don't. https://www.worldnomads.com/uk/help/...ronavirus-faqs