Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

one way insurance

one way insurance

Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice
Default Re: one way insurance

Originally Posted by Aviator
Personally, in North America I would not take and chances with medical expenses, one only has to slip and break a leg and insurance seems like a good deal. Probalby the likelihood is low, but one never knows.

Insurance companies do well out of us, my risk threshold is pretty low when it comes to medical insurance and liability risk.
wise words indeed
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I have no pertinent info to share on insurance, but I just have to say that I'm extremely impressed by the 92 year old immigrant !! :-) Much kudos to all of you!
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I have no pertinent info to share on insurance, but I just have to say that I'm extremely impressed by the 92 year old immigrant !! :-) Much kudos to all of you!
thank you, you are very kind, bit of a nuisance tho' when shopping for insurance and an awful lot of companys have upper age limits that rule me and Mum-in-Law out!!
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:43 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Travel insurance will end once you pass though immigration at the final destination. The risk in AB is the time between leaving the airport and getting registered for AB health. Perhaps a bigger risk with an elderly relative in tow.

If they have a return ticket and give the appearance of returning to the UK, travel insurance may cover them for the interim period. This is a an unknown of course until or if something happens.
Travel insurance might end, but the health portion did not end for a month
Old Feb 7th 2014, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

P J Haymen covered me on a one way flight and offer several travel policies. I used them as I found them a bit more specialized in what they offer (in my case risky sports without stupid out clauses) Their freespirit policy has no age limit and can cover several pre-existing conditions. It's very pricy though.
The policy is (or was so check) valid for the full term you buy it for but they excluded repatriation if you didnt have a return flight.
Maybe check them out.

There's also visitor to Canada's insurance, most Canadian insurance companies and banks have them. I found the terms generally less restrictive than a UK travel policy but the downside is the cover is normally quite low,
$50 0000 to $20 0000 max cover for medical expenses as opposed to million on a UK policy.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Travel insurance might end, but the health portion did not end for a month
Health portion of what? Travel insurance is health insurance plus other bits. The T & C in most policies will state that once your travel has terminated, which on a one way is when you exit the airport, the period of insurance ends.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Health portion of what? Travel insurance is health insurance plus other bits. The T & C in most policies will state that once your travel has terminated, which on a one way is when you exit the airport, the period of insurance ends.
But what if the airport is not the end of your travel. I believe that in our case where our destination will be Lethbridge, that our one way trip will not end until we get to our new front door in Southern Alberta, two hundred odd more k's from Calgary airport. Or would it be that once we land in Alberta, that Alberta health takes over?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:47 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Crickey can you imagine the expense should anything happen mid flight? Need to turn back or land elsewhere? Also repatriation expenses if necessary.... Can't be doing without it that's for sure.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 12:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gorleen
But what if the airport is not the end of your travel. I believe that in our case where our destination will be Lethbridge, that our one way trip will not end until we get to our new front door in Southern Alberta, two hundred odd more k's from Calgary airport. Or would it be that once we land in Alberta, that Alberta health takes over?
If not a return ticket and your journey booked is London to Calgary, then Calgary airport would be the conclusion of your travel. Travel insurance does not cover you in the country that you reside. If you move to Canada with the intention of living here, as soon as you arrive in Canada, under the T & C of a travel policy, your journey is at an end for insurance purposes. Likely once you have cleared immigration.

AB health will only take over once you have registered, so you have to get from the airport to AB Govt office to register without incident, or get temp new resident coverage from the UK.

Check with your insurance broker, polices and T & C can vary. Read before you rely on coverage, don't assume and put everything you tell them in writing, not over the phone.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Crickey can you imagine the expense should anything happen mid flight? Need to turn back or land elsewhere? Also repatriation expenses if necessary.... Can't be doing without it that's for sure.
This has happened on many an occasion. Travelers with insurance are usually covered until they arrive at their final destination. Those on a one way, it is the destination airport, those on a return it is when they get back to their home country.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 9:48 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't reply to this post for you to bully my answers. Almost 7 years ago I had a one way insurance from the UK to Canada which covered me for 1 month. end of.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

If not a return ticket and your journey booked is London to Calgary, then Calgary airport would be the conclusion of your travel. Travel insurance does not cover you in the country that you reside. If you move to Canada with the intention of living here, as soon as you arrive in Canada, under the T & C of a travel policy, your journey is at an end for insurance purposes. Likely once you have cleared immigration.

AB health will only take over once you have registered, so you have to get from the airport to AB Govt office to register without incident, or get temp new resident coverage from the UK.

Check with your insurance broker, polices and T & C can vary. Read before you rely on coverage, don't assume and put everything you tell them in writing, not over the phone.
Shall do and thank you.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Canadasure covered us for our travel to Canada, and then for extended healthcare for a further 3 months after arrival, until our OHIP kicked in. It's a policy designed for immigrants, on a one way ticket.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dashie
Canadasure covered us for our travel to Canada, and then for extended healthcare for a further 3 months after arrival, until our OHIP kicked in. It's a policy designed for immigrants, on a one way ticket.
many thanks, I'll give them a call.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
I didn't reply to this post for you to bully my answers. Almost 7 years ago I had a one way insurance from the UK to Canada which covered me for 1 month. end of.
Who was that with please? I need to check things out. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.