Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

one way insurance

one way insurance

Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:27 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one way insurance

Originally Posted by gorleen
DUinsure that is.
Not sure on the upper limit for Canada sure as myself and my OH are in are 30's
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:52 am
Banned

RyanD is an unknown quantity at this point

www.globelink.co.uk insures up to 84 maximum, I can not recall if I ever saw an insurer whose age limit was higher. travelinsuranceforseniors maybe
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanD
www.globelink.co.uk insures up to 84 maximum, I can not recall if I ever saw an insurer whose age limit was higher. travelinsuranceforseniors maybe
My Mother is older than that. When she visited BC and AB last year she got quotes from Manulife and from the Post Office. It may be that there were other possibilities but she went with one of those two.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:21 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, we three, me, my wife and her Mum (a 92 year old) are emigrating to Alberta in April, flying into Calgary. Can some kind person please advise us about insurance for that one way trip. I can't imagine ordinary travel insurance would do, as we wont have a UK address or a return date, so how do we go about it please? Many thanks for any advice or help that is offered.
Gordon, Eileen and her Mum.
I got my one way insurance from the Post Office. I don't know who the underwriter was but it seemed the best policy at that time and lasted until my Saskatchewan health kicked in.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Not sure on the upper limit for Canada sure as myself and my OH are in are 30's
I've just found out...........it is 64.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
I got my one way insurance from the Post Office. I don't know who the underwriter was but it seemed the best policy at that time and lasted until my Saskatchewan health kicked in.
Thanbk you, Sounds interesting, did it cover loss of baggage etc as well as health?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
My Mother is older than that. When she visited BC and AB last year she got quotes from Manulife and from the Post Office. It may be that there were other possibilities but she went with one of those two.
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:22 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Thanbk you, Sounds interesting, did it cover loss of baggage etc as well as health?
Yes it did, but that was 7 years ago so it may have changed, but definitely worth looking into. good luck
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Yes it did, but that was 7 years ago so it may have changed, but definitely worth looking into. good luck
Thank you. I'll check it out.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:04 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you. I'll check it out.

I have one question, since the OP and his family will be "landing" in Alberta, they will be eligible for Alberta Medical insurance from day one. So unless they are expecting medical problems on the flight over, why would they require travel insurance?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

I have one question, since the OP and his family will be "landing" in Alberta, they will be eligible for Alberta Medical insurance from day one. So unless they are expecting medical problems on the flight over, why would they require travel insurance?
Good point, but what about our luggage, surely we will have to insure that?
For this trip, our luggage will be very important. Especially as Transat want an extra £195 for 2 extra cases!
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:20 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

I can only speak for Saskatchewan. Sask health is great but it doesn't cover dental, or optical. The insurance I took out covered this until my husbands private health insurance kicked in at one month. Fortunately I didn't need it.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Travel insurance will end once you pass though immigration at the final destination. The risk in AB is the time between leaving the airport and getting registered for AB health. Perhaps a bigger risk with an elderly relative in tow.

If they have a return ticket and give the appearance of returning to the UK, travel insurance may cover them for the interim period. This is a an unknown of course until or if something happens.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Travel insurance will end once you pass though immigration at the final destination. The risk in AB is the time between leaving the airport and getting registered for AB health. Perhaps a bigger risk with an elderly relative in tow.

If they have a return ticket and give the appearance of returning to the UK, travel insurance may cover them for the interim period. This is a an unknown of course until or if something happens.
Thank you Aviator, useful stuff, bit scary tho' that "until or if" bit.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Aviator, useful stuff, bit scary tho' that "until or if" bit.
Personally, in North America I would not take and chances with medical expenses, one only has to slip and break a leg and insurance seems like a good deal. Probalby the likelihood is low, but one never knows.

Insurance companies do well out of us, my risk threshold is pretty low when it comes to medical insurance and liability risk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.