Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

One way car rentals ?

One way car rentals ?

Old Jun 30th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default One way car rentals ?

When I go for a return trip always book through Atlas choice who are always the most competitive.

However, am having a bit of a time finding a rental company who will allow me to pick up in Calgary and drop off in Lethbridge AB.

Anyone any ideas ????

Ta very much chucks

Gaynor
x
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:02 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way car rentals ?

National Car Rental will allow you to do it, but they will charge you a one-way drop off fee. They don't actually say that they charge you a one-way drop off fee, but they do.

I went to their website and made an enquiry about a mid-sized car on August 1st, 2007. When I asked for pick up in Calgary and drop off in Lethbridge, they quoted C$193. When I asked for pick up AND drop off in Calgary for the same car, they quoted C$85. The one-way drop off fee is the C$108 difference between those two quotations.

Your other (far less convenient) option is to catch a Greyhound shuttle bus from the airport to the Greyhound terminal (C$15 each) and then catch a Greyhound bus from Calgary to Lethbridge (C$36 each). For two people that would come to C$102.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car and Discount Car and Truck Rentals operate in both Calgary and Lethbridge, but neither one of them appears to permit one-way drop offs.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
National Car Rental will allow you to do it, but they will charge you a one-way drop off fee. They don't actually say that they charge you a one-way drop off fee, but they do.

I went to their website and made an enquiry about a mid-sized car on August 1st, 2007. When I asked for pick up in Calgary and drop off in Lethbridge, they quoted C$193. When I asked for pick up AND drop off in Calgary for the same car, they quoted C$85. The one-way drop off fee is the C$108 difference between those two quotations.

Your other (far less convenient) option is to catch a Greyhound shuttle bus from the airport to the Greyhound terminal (C$15 each) and then catch a Greyhound bus from Calgary to Lethbridge (C$36 each). For two people that would come to C$102.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car and Discount Car and Truck Rentals operate in both Calgary and Lethbridge, but neither one of them appears to permit one-way drop offs.
Thanks judy

Knew you would have the answer.

Have checked with Budget who we have done this before on a couple of occasions and it let me do it so I rung phil and then by the time i went back to the site wouldnt allow me to do that again

Thanks again

Gay
x
x
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

My son used to work for Avis years ago, and his ex worked for Budget. The companies were each privately owned by business people in Regina. The Avis dealership is owned by Taylor, who also owns the Taylor Toyota car dealership.

So, when someone rented a car from Avis or Budget in Regina and wanted to leave the car in Calgary, my son and his ex would drive up there as part of their work, and pick up the Regina car and bring it back here. The two of them went up there in an Avis or Budget car and then they both drove the two cars back here.

I am guessing that most car dealerships are like that. They are part of a franchise but locally owned and so the cars belong to the owner and not to Budget or Avis.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lizwil98
My son used to work for Avis years ago, and his ex worked for Budget. The companies were each privately owned by business people in Regina. The Avis dealership is owned by Taylor, who also owns the Taylor Toyota car dealership.

So, when someone rented a car from Avis or Budget in Regina and wanted to leave the car in Calgary, my son and his ex would drive up there as part of their work, and pick up the Regina car and bring it back here. The two of them went up there in an Avis or Budget car and then they both drove the two cars back here.

I am guessing that most car dealerships are like that. They are part of a franchise but locally owned and so the cars belong to the owner and not to Budget or Avis.
Hi Liz

Are you suggesting that it could be a good thing to contact the dealerships in Lethbridge and check out if any of their cars are being used in this way and see if I can do a deal with them ????

Gaynor
x
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, that hadn't occurred to me. I was just saying that the reason they charge so much is that they have to get their own cars back again. But it might be worth a try. See if they have any cars in Calgary that you could return to them.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Liz

Will get Phil to check out the local dealerships in town.

Anyone else any ideas ??? Am realy struggling and I know for the past 4 years I have used Budget and they wont for some reason do it for me on the net ! Preez help me

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:09 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just get your hubby to get off his ar5e and come and get you?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Why not just get your hubby to get off his ar5e and come and get you?
Well could very well be flying in on a thursday - 2nd option - and he will be at work and thought it was just as easy for me to pick up a car and just drive down myself.

If I arrive Friday or sunday I am fine as he will pick me up.

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:27 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever tried the car hire people called "Rent a Wreck"? I don;t think the cars are falling apart, just that they are a bit older than the major rental company cars - they might be more lenient with one way drop offs, etc.
http://www.rentawreck.ca/

Also, it might be worth googling for local car renters with a base in Lethbridge perhaps and contacting them direct like lizwil suggested?

Also, I found this, may be worth a try?
L.A. Shuttle
Airport shuttle between Calgary and Lethbridge. Shuttle operates Monday-Saturday. Will pick up at Airport or in Calgary city limits. Send an Email (bottom of this page: http://www.discoveralberta.com/Trans...portTransfers/ ) 1 403 380-2015

Or, it looks like you can book a flight from Calgary Airport to Lethbridge Airport on the Air Canada website (operated by Central Mountain Air), but you are looking at about £170 for two one way tickets, but might be able to shop for fares perhaps? And it only takes about half an hour!

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Jul 2nd 2007 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
When I go for a return trip always book through Atlas choice who are always the most competitive.

However, am having a bit of a time finding a rental company who will allow me to pick up in Calgary and drop off in Lethbridge AB.

Anyone any ideas ????

Ta very much chucks

Gaynor
x
Hi Gay,

This is who we'll be booking with for the end of August, found them to be the cheapest (i'd better get on with booking it!) - noticed that it says they do 'one way' so may be worth a look

http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/

Hope this proves helpful.

Arris
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Arris
Hi Gay,

This is who we'll be booking with for the end of August, found them to be the cheapest (i'd better get on with booking it!) - noticed that it says they do 'one way' so may be worth a look

http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/

Hope this proves helpful.

Arris
Thanks Arris

Ok if you need a round trip but they dont do a drop off one way at Lethbridge Thanks for the tip

gay
x
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Has anyone ever tried the car hire people called "Rent a Wreck"? I don;t think the cars are falling apart, just that they are a bit older than the major rental company cars - they might be more lenient with one way drop offs, etc.
http://www.rentawreck.ca/

Also, it might be worth googling for local car renters with a base in Lethbridge perhaps and contacting them direct like lizwil suggested?

Also, I found this, may be worth a try?
L.A. Shuttle
Airport shuttle between Calgary and Lethbridge. Shuttle operates Monday-Saturday. Will pick up at Airport or in Calgary city limits. Send an Email (bottom of this page: http://www.discoveralberta.com/Trans...portTransfers/ ) 1 403 380-2015

Or, it looks like you can book a flight from Calgary Airport to Lethbridge Airport on the Air Canada website (operated by Central Mountain Air), but you are looking at about £170 for two one way tickets, but might be able to shop for fares perhaps? And it only takes about half an hour!
Hi Floss

Have heard of rent a wreck before but they dont have a drop off point in Lethbridge or anywhere near there

The shuttle - I would think that is going to be really expenive with them being based in Jasper

Thanks for looking hun

Gaynor

x
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:41 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gay,
Have you tried www.discountcar.com - I'm not sure from looking at their website if they do one way or not, but they do have an office in Lethbridge which is a start and perhaps Phil could call in with them and see if he could use his powers of persuasion to allow you a one way rental.
HTH
Alison
x
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alvic
Hi Gay,
Have you tried www.discountcar.com - I'm not sure from looking at their website if they do one way or not, but they do have an office in Lethbridge which is a start and perhaps Phil could call in with them and see if he could use his powers of persuasion to allow you a one way rental.
HTH
Alison
x
Hi Alison

Thanks for that one but they too wont allow me to book via the web for a one way trip.

Have already got Phill going into Budget in Lethbridge to see why the hell i cant book one way as we have done it so much - so will get him to call here too

Gay
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.