Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

One-way airline ticket on TWP

One-way airline ticket on TWP

Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:37 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default One-way airline ticket on TWP

I'm in a mad panic - I've booked our flights one way for 1st September via Canadian Affair with Thomas Cook. We have a letter authorizing the TWP to be issued on landing.

They are saying that only the CHC can say whether it is acceptable to travel on a one way ticket. CHC will be shut on Sept 1st for Labour Day....

CHC website says :-

Must I have a return ticket or can I purchase a one-way ticket to travel to Canada?

There is no legal requirement to have a return ticket. However, we strongly recommend you have a return ticket if you are planning to stay less than one year in Canada as it will confirm your intention to stay in Canada temporarily. All students and temporary workers must demonstrate that they can pay for their return to their home country or for their travel at the end of their stay, and that they will leave Canada at the end of their stay.

Please note also that your airline may require that you have a return ticket.
Please someone tell me they have done the same and it was ok? Or have I just wasted £800?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:41 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One-way airline ticket on TWP

We flew in on a one-way ticket and they let us in on a TWP! Most people do it - in reality just because you have a return ticket doesn't mean your actually going to leave does it?!!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:44 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more worried about the airline than immigration at the other end..... Don't want to be turned away at the airport!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:54 am
plw
9 inch member

plw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud of

CHC, states that there is no legal requirement.

If I was you I would email the airline company, quoting the above and ask them to reply via email with their policy.

Then you can decide what to do.

If they say you need return flights then ask them why they sold you singles in the first place and then say you expect them to change to return tickets at no cost to yourself.
They will probably argue this point but if you don't ask you don't get.
If they say no, agree to pay the difference.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:55 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I'm more worried about the airline than immigration at the other end..... Don't want to be turned away at the airport!
I don't ever recall anyone being turned away because they only have one-way tickets. Print off the bit that states there is no legal requirement and take that with you. You can show it to them if they query you.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:56 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by plw
CHC, states that there is no legal requirement.

If I was you I would email the airline company, quoting the above and ask them to reply via email with their policy.

Then you can decide what to do.

If they say you need return flights then ask them why they sold you singles in the first place and then say you expect them to change to return tickets at no cost to yourself.
They will probably argue this point but if you don't ask you don't get.
If they say no, agree to pay the difference.
One step ahead of you here.... already done that, their reply was :-

Hi thank you for your e-mail. We are not authorized to advise on these matters this would only be the Canadian high commission that should be contacted. If they say this is ok then this would be fine by us.
I've replied again and asked them what they need from CHC...... I've also emailed CHC to ask them for advice.... they'll probably point me back at the airline!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by G77
One step ahead of you here.... already done that, their reply was :-

I've replied again and asked them what they need from CHC...... I've also emailed CHC to ask them for advice.... they'll probably point me back at the airline!
I really think you are worrying for nothing. When we checked in at the airport they didn't ask us why we only had one-way tickets. Nothing was even mentioned about it. So stop stressing and B R E A T H !!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:04 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I really think you are worrying for nothing. When we checked in at the airport they didn't ask us why we only had one-way tickets. Nothing was even mentioned about it. So stop stressing and B R E A T H !!
I'm having a flap because someone recently got grief at the airport and they had to phone the CHC..... Been trying to find the thread, but can't find it now...

Probably panicking over nothing, but I'm the master of disaster....

Like the other day, managed to book a train from TO that doesn't accept luggage! Fortunately managed to cancel that!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by G77
I'm having a flap because someone recently got grief at the airport and they had to phone the CHC..... Been trying to find the thread, but can't find it now...

Probably panicking over nothing, but I'm the master of disaster....

Like the other day, managed to book a train from TO that doesn't accept luggage! Fortunately managed to cancel that!
I remember that thread. Wasn't it someone flying out of an airport in Ireland? Where are you flying from and with whom?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:14 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I remember that thread. Wasn't it someone flying out of an airport in Ireland? Where are you flying from and with whom?
Manchester to Toronto with Thomas Cook (booked with Canadian Affair).

They were flying from Bristol with Air Transat iirc.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We flew Manchester:Heathrow:Halifax one way with no problems or questions what so ever
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:25 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
We flew Manchester:Heathrow:Halifax one way with no problems or questions what so ever
Who was that with? And you didn't have your TWP issued till you landed right?

Maybe I'm over-reacting!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Who was that with? And you didn't have your TWP issued till you landed right?

Maybe I'm over-reacting!
We flew Air Canada and had TWP issued at the airport. All we had was a letter stating we met TWP requirements and had already paid the fees. Not one person questioned that we had a one way ticket
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We are flying Gatwick to Halifax 1 way on 6th August and I have no concerns. This should be reassuring in itself as with my track record if anything can go wrong it will.

If there was a major problem the airline would have queried it when you booked. I have heard of some people not being allowed to book one way tickets.

Chill....it'll be fine.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We are flying Gatwick to Halifax 1 way on 6th August and I have no concerns. This should be reassuring in itself as with my track record if anything can go wrong it will.

If there was a major problem the airline would have queried it when you booked. I have heard of some people not being allowed to book one way tickets.

Chill....it'll be fine.
Won't be long then......... Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.