Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

is this one reason why you left the UK?

is this one reason why you left the UK?

Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:19 pm
  #46  
Glasgow Rangers
 
Voyager970's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,543
Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Our eldest daughter is 13 just now and in second year of high school
When she was in first year, aged only 12 she was assaulted by an elderly girl. This ned / scum took it upon herself slap her about the face for no reason.
Anyway got the police involved and the head teacher etc, police could not do anything, head teachers answer was not to expell her but to include her more into class lessons, to help her intergrate more into the school, what a load of bollocks, the school does not expell pupils now as it is seen more of a punishment

Anyway enough said

Eddie
Voyager970 is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:28 pm
  #47  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: SW England
Posts: 1,491
Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Our eldest daughter is 13 just now and in second year of high school
When she was in first year, aged only 12 she was assaulted by an elderly girl. This ned / scum took it upon herself slap her about the face for no reason.
Anyway got the police involved and the head teacher etc, police could not do anything, head teachers answer was not to expell her but to include her more into class lessons, to help her intergrate more into the school, what a load of bollocks, the school does not expell pupils now as it is seen more of a punishment

Anyway enough said

Eddie
I understand how upset you must've been. Earlier this year our 11 year old daughter was strangled by a boy with 'special needs' until she was choking for breath. There was no reason for the attack. Her good friend managed to pull him off her. This occurred during lesson time! I took photos of the red marks around her neck, some 2 hours after the incident had happened. The school only took us seriously when we threatened them with the Police if they did'nt get their act together and tell his parents. I also called & wrote to the Education Welfare Dept. who were most interested to hear about this 'potential time bomb' as they called him This student has attacked other students as well as our daughter. He's still at the school.

I suppose I should be grateful really 'cos they offered him therapy. Errr, what about our daughter?
Craftybanshee is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:31 pm
  #48  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 557
seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
I think you hit the nail on right on the head. In every leadership training course I have ever had they always quote the a saying '......... the lowest standard you set is the highest standard you can expect everyone else to achieve'.
There is no leadership in the UK anymore. Politicians lie every day and is seen as an acceptable part of politics so what chance do the rest stand?

Can't blame teachers for wanting to give up can you?

Looking forward to another 5 years of a this goverment with relish!!!!!

You can't blame politicians!! Honestly!
Do you think politicians are better here in Canada? If anything they're worse!
As I said before, Britain is a moral and spiritual vaccuum nowadays. People are losing sense of what is right and wrong.
I'm not religious, however I was raised as a catholic. I knew from a very early age what was right and wrong and what behavior was unacceptable. Call it God fearing if you wish. It wouldn't have even entered my head to cheek strangers or vandalise anything as I would surely have gone to hell if I had.
Nowadays in the UK however, religion is pretty much extinct, except for Hindu's etc. Kids don't fear anything nowadays, not even the prospect of going to hell if they do wrong.
seacreature is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:31 pm
  #49  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 81
iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by seacreature
You can't blame politicians!! Honestly!
Do you think politicians are better here in Canada? If anything they're worse!
As I said before, Britain is a moral and spiritual vaccuum nowadays. People are losing sense of what is right and wrong.
I'm not religious, however I was raised as a catholic. I knew from a very early age what was right and wrong and what behavior was unacceptable. Call it God fearing if you wish. It wouldn't have even entered my head to cheek strangers or vandalise anything as I would surely have gone to hell if I had.
Nowadays in the UK however, religion is pretty much extinct, except for Hindu's etc. Kids don't fear anything nowadays, not even the prospect of going to hell if they do wrong.

Hey don't give up hope. You Brits have this problem before (LONG time ago). UK was save by a christian pastor (forgot his name).
iwanttotalktoyou is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:54 pm
  #50  
Gone Walkabout
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 611
Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by iwanttotalktoyou
Hey don't give up hope. You Brits have this problem before (LONG time ago). UK was save by a christian pastor (forgot his name).
Take more water with it, FFS!!!
Scouse is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:27 pm
  #51  
BE Enthusiast
 
RodRos&Co.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Wellington, Nova Scotia
Posts: 717
RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Our eldest daughter is 13 just now and in second year of high school
When she was in first year, aged only 12 she was assaulted by an elderly girl. This ned / scum took it upon herself slap her about the face for no reason.
Anyway got the police involved and the head teacher etc, police could not do anything, head teachers answer was not to expell her but to include her more into class lessons, to help her intergrate more into the school, what a load of bollocks, the school does not expell pupils now as it is seen more of a punishment

Anyway enough said

Eddie
Is it the Parents or their Parents ?? why do i ask that...... our 13 yr old daughter WAS a member of the local youth group, last Christmas her and her friends performed a dance presentation (all their own work, costumes choreography the works), last week they youth group called and asked me to sign a form as they had applied, and got the girls dance class/performance accredited by AQA, wow well done girls, all of them are 13 or 14 yrs.
I arrived at the club at approx. 9.15pm it was locked
3 girls approached us saying oh just kick the door they'll come and open it as they are telling me this they are kicking holes in the door......
a youth leader approaches the door telling the girls to go home, she opens the door just enough for my daughter and myself to squeeze through, 1 of the girls pushes past us, runs upstairs to the top floor and starts throwing water from the water dispenser over the bannister
the youth leader ignores this, takes me into the office and gives me the form to sign saying, "oh dear what are kids like today" before i could say anything she asks my daughter "Why don't you and your friends come anymore?" I couldn't believe it "you need to ask was my reply?"...
her reply was "oh don't worry if she comes with her friends I'm sure they'll all get along."

At that point, I left....
1. My daughter and her friends had expressed their concerns about these girls and their attitude towards them....
2. They told the staff they would stop attending if they didn't sort it out.
and for this they were told that the youth club wasn't really intended for them coz they come from good families **&*$&*$"*$&*$^*

THANK YOU, wow my kids aren't allowed to attend their local youth club, coz they're too well behaved



I could give you so many experiences, but it would fill a book and I'm sure I said in another post, this is quite a good area

Rosie
RodRos&Co. is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:43 pm
  #52  
Gone Walkabout
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 611
Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by RodRos&Co.
Is it the Parents or their Parents ?? why do i ask that...... our 13 yr old daughter WAS a member of the local youth group......they're too well behaved

If this was an isolated case, it would be easy to dismiss it.......but it isn't.

This story, and thousands like it, are being repeated every day in the UK.

I wish I knew the answer....I wish I could explain to your daughter why this has happened, but I can't.

Sometimes I just despair about the country of my birth, and I wish to God I could change it, but the sad fact is that unless we all stand up and say ENOUGH, it will not change.
Scouse is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:37 am
  #53  
Cheese & Onion Member
 
Crispie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Huntingdon and NOW Nova Scotia
Posts: 392
Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

I haven't posted much lately but feel that motivation after reading this thread.
I recognise all the despair in the youth culture and it is largely justified. I hate the disrespect in schools and the way it grows into yobbish binge drinking.
I have 4 kids (aged 12 to 17), so I am write in this supposed aweful period.
However I find them a real joy and we have so much fun with them and their friends. They have a great repore with staff at school and this comes from a mutual respect.
So all is not doom and gloom! There are great youngsters out there.
People on the thread have been blaming :
1) parents, 2) teachers and 3) polititians 4) lack of religeon. All have their responsibility but I believe it is ultimately a society issue. Society has become totaly consumer led and this has made it a necesity for :
1) both parents to work (too little input to children)
2) the teachers are too target driven and the target is exam results not creating sociable human beings
3) the polititians belief is that they must deliver as much as they can for as little as possible
4) religeon has been replaced with materialism and is less relevant when we all have more than we need

I wouldn't make this society a reason for leaving the UK becuase it is not all bad. Anyway, I am sure each generation has said similar things about the youth of today! It's just our turn eh!
Crispie is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:02 am
  #54  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 22
karenr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Crispie
I haven't posted much lately but feel that motivation after reading this thread.
I recognise all the despair in the youth culture and it is largely justified. I hate the disrespect in schools and the way it grows into yobbish binge drinking.
I have 4 kids (aged 12 to 17), so I am write in this supposed aweful period.
However I find them a real joy and we have so much fun with them and their friends. They have a great repore with staff at school and this comes from a mutual respect.
So all is not doom and gloom! There are great youngsters out there.
People on the thread have been blaming :
1) parents, 2) teachers and 3) polititians 4) lack of religeon. All have their responsibility but I believe it is ultimately a society issue. Society has become totaly consumer led and this has made it a necesity for :
1) both parents to work (too little input to children)
2) the teachers are too target driven and the target is exam results not creating sociable human beings
3) the polititians belief is that they must deliver as much as they can for as little as possible
4) religeon has been replaced with materialism and is less relevant when we all have more than we need

I wouldn't make this society a reason for leaving the UK becuase it is not all bad. Anyway, I am sure each generation has said similar things about the youth of today! It's just our turn eh!
I am very impressed with this thread and the comments . and the above quote said it all to me .
My attitude is that all of us and our children are small lights amid all this darkness. If we keep our lights burning , and the more light the better we will never be consumed by the darkness . Worrying that we are all taking our light to Canada !! well for here it is !!!!
Keep it up everyone
Karen
karenr is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:11 pm
  #55  
BE Enthusiast
 
Patsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 353
Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Crispie
I haven't posted much lately but feel that motivation after reading this thread.
I recognise all the despair in the youth culture and it is largely justified. I hate the disrespect in schools and the way it grows into yobbish binge drinking.
I have 4 kids (aged 12 to 17), so I am write in this supposed aweful period.
However I find them a real joy and we have so much fun with them and their friends. They have a great repore with staff at school and this comes from a mutual respect.
So all is not doom and gloom! There are great youngsters out there.
People on the thread have been blaming :
1) parents, 2) teachers and 3) polititians 4) lack of religeon. All have their responsibility but I believe it is ultimately a society issue. Society has become totaly consumer led and this has made it a necesity for :
1) both parents to work (too little input to children)
2) the teachers are too target driven and the target is exam results not creating sociable human beings
3) the polititians belief is that they must deliver as much as they can for as little as possible
4) religeon has been replaced with materialism and is less relevant when we all have more than we need

I wouldn't make this society a reason for leaving the UK becuase it is not all bad. Anyway, I am sure each generation has said similar things about the youth of today! It's just our turn eh!
so well put!!
Emphasis is on pushing A to C's and turning a blind eye to theft, rudeness and other discipline problems
Patsy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.