Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

One Line Answer Only

One Line Answer Only

Old May 12th 2009, 1:56 pm
Hopefully :)

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future
Default One Line Answer Only

Given that Ping Pong Pom doesn't seem to be a 'stock' phrase on the Canadian Forum (as it obviously is on the Aussie one) what advice is there for someone who has Pinged from the UK, only to then Pong back and is now considering a further Ping back to BC.

So what makes for successful emigration to Canada ... even if it the 2nd time around.

I know not everyone has the time to write an essay so one line answers / sentences / advice or abuse readily accepted ... eqaully if you want to write more ...feel free
Old May 12th 2009, 2:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Line Answer Only

Originally Posted by CampbellsRComing

So what makes for successful emigration to Canada ... even if it the 2nd time around.
Simple. Reasonable/ realistic expectations!
Old May 12th 2009, 2:54 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interested to know what your one line would be? especially given you already have experience in the whole process.

So "what makes for successful emigration to Canada" in your view?
Old May 12th 2009, 3:02 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

So if you've bounced back and fore

I have, so I know what you’re thinking, and I'm in Canada again thinking of bouncing back to the UK again

Make dam sure you know why you want to live in a particular region and what you can willingly give up to survive, what were the things that made you move back last time and why you think they may have changed?

The reality I fear is that once you moved back and fore you have a very real picture of the good and bad points (no more tinted glasses or option of denial) of both locations and its very unlikely that you can ever get the best of both, In my case it becomes a case of settling for the least worse location, I know that sounds negative, but it's the negative points that make things difficult to settle and piss you off
Old May 12th 2009, 3:10 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

A Canadian wife who wants to go home.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Booze helps.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

SaladDays is an unknown quantity at this point

Hammy1976 / Mike UK,

Why might it be ifferent this time ... based on the Aussie forum ...????

1. I think my OH and I had different objectives in 2003 and we had, naively, assumed they were the same and as a result never really talked them through ... big mistake

2. This time we won't burn our bridges i.e. 2003 was full-on emigration - I quit the job, sold the house, exchanged the money etc. ... to much 'perminence' to that approach - at least for me ...

Linking back to No.1 we need to make sure that we both understand that it is what it is ... an '12 month+ experience / adventure' for us and our kids ... yes we need to go to work and earn a crust but seeing this is an opportunity to travel, to meet new people, do new things and experience another way of life / lifestyle will go a long way to making the 'trip' less stressful and a lot more enjoyable ... ultimately therefore mybe it is more likely to convice us that Canada could provide an alternative long-term home for us ???

3. We now have a reason bigger than ourselves ... is it better for the kids

4. As Butch Cassidy put it ... there needs to be a 'pull' not just a 'push' - hense the research on our other thread and the time and money were putting into our reccie in August ... its an investment

5. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly personally is that I have a tendancy to take life (and my responsibilities) very seriously (sometimes to the detriment of those living around me) i.e.are we paying off the mortage, are we saving for a pension, are we saving for the kids education etc. ... maybe I just need to 'just 12 months off the treadmill' and do something different ...???

Maybe paying the rent and bills is OK for a year??

For some reason I think I could do that more easily on Vancouver Island than I could in the UK ... i.e. seeing this as an 'experience' for us and the kids gives me the 'permission

Maybe getting away from the UK and experiencing the lifestyle on the Island for just 12 months might perhaps be the graetest thing that could come from the experience ... a new outlook on life no matter where we end up living.

Maybe it might put life in perpsective ????

Maybe I'm Full of Sh*t???
Old May 12th 2009, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

SaladDays is an unknown quantity at this point

Atlantic XPat

I have one of those too ... she wanted so badly to go back in 2003 it caused areal probelm when we realised it wasn't going to work (there was noway she was coming back to the UK) ... but she did, we worked bloody hard at putting things back together and now she's the one not sure if it is a good move or not (closely followed by myself) but we owe it to the kids to at least go out and have a look in August so that we can put this to bed one way or another ...
Old May 12th 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

a made bed is for lying in; make it work!
Old May 12th 2009, 3:43 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
a made bed is for lying in; make it work!
Married?
Kids?
Old May 12th 2009, 3:46 pm
Hopefully :)

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Married?
Kids?
Me or paolosmythe???

Me ... yes 1 missus and 3 kids ...

paolosmythe ... not by the look of him LOL
Old May 12th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Married?
Kids?
is this a proposition?

i'm flattered, but i am 12+ years into a marriage (of sorts) and the only kid i am responsible for is myself.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:14 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Me or paolosmythe???

Me ... yes 1 missus and 3 kids ...

paolosmythe ... not by the look of him LOL
Originally Posted by paolosmythe
is this a proposition?

i'm flattered, but i am 12+ years into a marriage (of sorts) and the only kid i am responsible for is myself.
LOL

The question was directed at Paolo, I just felt his comment about making your bed and lying in it was a touch (butch stylee) flippant and wondered if he had only himself to consider.

Thats not to say Paolo that I dont actually (to a large extent) agree. I think that this forum is a great place to come and vent and look for support and advice. Sometimes however I wish some posters would get a grip look inward and realise that:

a) we can not give them the definitive answer
b) they are just miserable bastards and will be that way where ever they live
c) thank their lucky stars that they had the opportunity to experience life in another country, many people would give their right arms to experience that.
d) neither Canada NOR the UK owes them ANYTHING.

BTW Andy none of my venting was directed at you in any way at all, just before you take offence
Old May 12th 2009, 4:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
A Canadian wife who wants to go home.
My issue is the reverse a candian wife who no longer wants to be home

she want the boys to have an english education
Old May 12th 2009, 4:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
My issue is the reverse a candian wife who no longer wants to be home

she want the boys to have an english education
It's entirely possible we might be of a similar position in the future. However AX jnr is 5 years or more away from starting school so it's not a concern as yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.