Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OMG One week today!

OMG One week today!

Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG One week today!

Originally Posted by Oink
The problem that the Canadian economy has is it's lack of dynamism and flexibility, so while it doesn't usually have the wild business cycles but when it stagnates, its like a damp fire, very hard to re-light. It's saving grace is the abundance of natural resources, if it wasn't for those, this would be a very poor place.
Well, I'll take the lack of dynamism and flexibility in the Canadian economy over the completely suffocated, starving and bewildered UK economy at the moment. Yes, even right now I'll take Harper over Cameron and his idiots ... but we'll see.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Best of luck to all of you moving here. I was in the UK for 2 weeks and was appalled by how bleak things are over there. There are no jobs going at all. Prices are through the roof, inflation is out of control (19% increase in utilities next year).

Here, I have not had a single slow work day because of the recession. My house value is still rising. I earn enough to live. I have a good lifestyle.

So tell me, Oink, what are you basing the wonderfully rosy picture of Canada on? You obviously have lots of money and have seen your net worth drop by a couple of points thanks to the stock market. Well from a working mans point of view, this takes some beating.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:06 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobthedog
Best of luck to all of you moving here. I was in the UK for 2 weeks and was appalled by how bleak things are over there. There are no jobs going at all.
That's weird cos i was offered a contract in the UK only a few weeks back and a member of my wife's family was made redundant in Canada. Does this mean Canada is bleak and the UK is booming
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Maybe your field has jobs going then.. For slaves to the system like me, there is nothing. Or if there is you are lucky to get 8 quid an hour.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:10 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe your field has jobs going then.. For slaves to the system like me, there is nothing. Or if there is you are lucky to get 8 quid an hour.
That's weird cos unemployment is about the same in Canada as the UK
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Not in my line of work. If you are any good then you can get a job here. I could have got a job in the UK but it would only have been through contacts, not on merit alone.

Also, I have "qualifications" which should stand me in good stead for other options, but it is a risk I wouldn't take in the UK.

I was there in May. I saw the worries first hand. There is no comparison, none at all, between the UK and here.

These folks that are moving here already have plans set and are ready to roll. Now, all of a sudden, a couple of people (already here) are saying they may not find things as they expect.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:38 am
Beep

Not in my line of work. If you are any good then you can get a job here. I could have got a job in the UK but it would only have been through contacts, not on merit alone.

Also, I have "qualifications" which should stand me in good stead for other options, but it is a risk I wouldn't take in the UK.

I was there in May. I saw the worries first hand. There is no comparison, none at all, between the UK and here.

These folks that are moving here already have plans set and are ready to roll. Now, all of a sudden, a couple of people (already here) are saying they may not find things as they expect.
Aaaah so you mean your line of work not the entire country. Pheeeeew

So really it's not that bad then unless your line of work is struggling. This works in both countries though and unemployment is pretty much the same so hopefully those moving here are in the same line of work as you and not me
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Ah spare me, why don't you?

My line of work is common as hell and you know what it is.. But here is food for thought. My line of work has ALWAYS been a barometer for the economy because if things aren't moving then low lifes like me aren't moving.

So save your sarcasm for someone who gives a damn, why don't you?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe your profession is different but Canada is notorious for offering employment through nepotism, seniority and word of mouth contacts rather than merit.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:09 am
Beep

Ah spare me, why don't you?

My line of work is common as hell and you know what it is.. But here is food for thought. My line of work has ALWAYS been a barometer for the economy because if things aren't moving then low lifes like me aren't moving.

So save your sarcasm for someone who gives a damn, why don't you?
I have no idea what you do. Are you a prostitute?

I'm not being sarcastic. I was purely pointing out the lack of correctness in your previous post, that's all.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

I am a low life truck driver.. Now take a look at the new thread in the jobs section under Trucking titled "Starting from scratch". Note where he says there are no jobs.

In the US, I agree they have massive problems and are dealing with them badly, but things are moving along reasonably well here. You can still get credit here without too much trouble, so you can still buy a home or a car. You can still find work here, although it hasn't been as much of a case of "walk out at 10 and start another at noon" scenario recently.

If you seriously expect people to believe your digs at your chosen homeland, may I suggest you provide evidence of what you are saying. These people are coming here to start a new life. Some may have plenty of money and be able to retire, but many are ordinary working stiffs like me and have enough on their plates without having to put up with nonsense tales of woe.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:47 pm
Beep

If you seriously expect people to believe your digs at your chosen homeland, may I suggest you provide evidence of what you are saying. These people are coming here to start a new life. Some may have plenty of money and be able to retire, but many are ordinary working stiffs like me and have enough on their plates without having to put up with nonsense tales of woe.
I'm guessing this is directed at Oink. You tell him
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm guessing this is directed at Oink. You tell him

My tales of woe are forecasts based on present and historical economic indicators, the application of a priori structural econometric models, some comparison theory, a dash of artistic license and enormous amounts of ceteris paribus. So there.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:19 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My tales of woe are forecasts based on present and historical economic indicators, the application of a priori structural econometric models, some comparison theory, a dash of artistic license and enormous amounts of ceteris paribus. So there.
In other words you know diddly squat.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
In other words you know diddly squat.

That's not terribly fair. We're like volcanologists, we can tell you what happened, what's happening, what could happen, its just predicting when its going to happen that's a trifle tricky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.