Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OMG One week today!

OMG One week today!

Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG One week today!

Originally Posted by englishrose1
Oink would you like to elaborate on the state of the economy please?
He's joshing with you. Compared to the UK, the Canadian economy is a rose garden.
All the best to you and have a great trip. Enjoy the adventure!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:46 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
He's joshing with you. Compared to the UK, the Canadian economy is a rose garden.
All the best to you and have a great trip. Enjoy the adventure!

No I'm not. The Canadian economy is slow to go into recession but it's also so slow to come out of one, painfully slow. I don't envy the youngsters trying to make a go of it nowadays, if I wanted a better life for my family I'd go somewhere else. No way I'd come here, you've got the worst of it, an over valued real estate market, an increasingly crap economy, a strong currency and rising prices. Good luck trying to finding yourself or your children a job the way this place is going.

Last edited by Oink; Jun 14th 2011 at 6:13 am.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
You might bump into me.
I would love to bump into you, you have been very supportive to people on this forum
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Oink
No I'm not. The Canadian economy is slow to go into recession but it's also so slow to come out of one, painfully slow. I don't envy the youngsters trying to make a go of it nowadays, if I wanted a better life for my family I'd go somewhere else. No way I'd come here, you've got the worst of it, an over valued real estate market, an increasingly crap economy, a strong currency and rising prices. Good luck trying to finding yourself or your children a job the way this place is going.
Thanks for the positivity, i feel so much better!!

If you feel that way then leave, if you were from the UK god help you if you came back, the real estate market here is still as ridiculas high as ever, plus no one can get a mortgage, economy which will go into a double dip, CPI over double what it should be, a none existing job market and a weak currency which isn't attracting exports as it should be. Believe me Canada does looks rosy!!! But will see
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 27mich71

If you feel that way then leave, if you were from the UK god help you if you came back, the real estate market here is still as ridiculas high as ever, plus no one can get a mortgage, economy which will go into a double dip, CPI over double what it should be, a none existing job market and a weak currency which isn't attracting exports as it should be. Believe me Canada does looks rosy!!! But will see
Well I can't agree with this, as someone who has just spent 7 months in Vancouver and come back to the UK. When we left the UK our house was valued at 100K more than it is today, so thank god we sold it when we did. We have returned and have got jobs and somewhere to live within 2 weeks. I don't buy the UK doom and gloom one bit.

After my negative ninny comment above, I just wanted to add, I hope your Canadian adventure turns out as you hope, it is an amazing country, best of luck!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 16 sleeps to go until we land and I keep dreaming that I wont be let in! Still I think Ive covered everything, expect travel insurance can any one reccomend. we are just staying for two weeks, me OH and 4 year old.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 27mich71

Leave? Its great if you got in on the ground floor. Canada is sort of like retirement. It's a comfy place if you've made your whack but pretty bleak if you haven't.

Last edited by Oink; Jun 14th 2011 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

ofchrit is an unknown quantity at this point

that is great
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

I have 16 sleeps to go until we land and I have not strated
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Enjoy the adventure
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducktastic
I don't buy the UK doom and gloom one bit.
It's a mindset people can't seem to shake
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's a mindset people can't seem to shake

It's one that seems to have been cured by reading the tripe of the Daily Mail and 20 years of listening to Uncle Reg who left school at the age of three to drive a bakers van.

Edited: I don't think all the "reality" shows that have popped up in the last ten years have helped the situation.

Last edited by Oink; Jun 14th 2011 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Leave? Its great if you got in on the ground floor. Canada is sort of like retirement. It's a comfy place if you've made your whack but pretty bleak if you haven't.
That's pretty much like anywhere though isn't it?
The UK will recover, but it's in a worse economic state than Canada. Canadian real estate is bit crazy in the cities and a lot of people are in debt, that's true, but the fabric of the Canadian economy is much stronger than the UK's at the moment, possibly for the next 2/3 years, and that's a fact.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by London Mike
That's pretty much like anywhere though isn't it?
The UK will recover, but it's in a worse economic state than Canada. Canadian real estate is bit crazy in the cities and a lot of people are in debt, that's true, but the fabric of the Canadian economy is much stronger than the UK's at the moment, possibly for the next 2/3 years, and that's a fact.

The problem that the Canadian economy has is it's lack of dynamism and flexibility, so while it doesn't usually have the wild business cycles but when it stagnates, its like a damp fire, very hard to re-light. It's saving grace is the abundance of natural resources, if it wasn't for those, this would be a very poor place.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:36 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

So, where would you go and why? Any how come you're not there yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.