Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OMG!!!! How crap is the pound!!!

OMG!!!! How crap is the pound!!!

Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice
Default OMG!!!! How crap is the pound!!!

Just looked and i can't believe it. you're now only getting $1.56 cad to the £1.00. This is a joke!!!. how much lower will it go??

Gav.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

sonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nice
Default Re: OMG!!!! How crap is the pound!!!

Unbelievable - I have no knowledge of financial markets but surely the only way is up?! Makes houses etc seem cheap here.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Glam
Just looked and i can't believe it. you're now only getting $1.56 cad to the £1.00. This is a joke!!!. how much lower will it go??

Gav.
Here is the forecast against the $US. According to this, it would seem that the GBP is around the bottom. Merv. King and Gordon Brown have been wanting a low pound for ages so maybe they are trying to give the economy a boost before the election:

http://forecasts.org/pound.htm
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:09 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I still wouldn't mind having 20,000,000 of them
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Gav.
Perfect for those visiting the UK from Canada.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Lemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant future

The Canadian dollar rate is bewilderingly low, and the Euro is 1.10 to the pound - there goes my dream Spanish villa idea!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Perfect for those visiting the UK from Canada.
Yes indeedy. We're going back in July so I might buy some currency in advance.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Gav.
Thats brill, I have a bill to pay back there, (thanks to a fu***** ex member of the family)
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonofcanadian
...surely the only way is up?!
We've been saying that since it slumped to around $1.90.

Then again at $1.80...$1.70....
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

It's low because of worries about the UK financial situation and the fact that it's becoming more and more of a possibility that we have a hung parliament at the next election.

The likelihood is it's not going to get better for quite awhile.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:28 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Long may it stay low. I'm loving visiting the UK and being able to afford things. Converting my salary also makes me feel rather good. Actually, having just done it online, change that to very good
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

jessytsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

You may think a dollar is worth a lot here in Canada, but no one tells you about the taxes on everything. It seems like the government takes 0.40 off every dollar.

Now that's a rip off.

Jess
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jessytsmith
You may think a dollar is worth a lot here in Canada, but no one tells you about the taxes on everything. It seems like the government takes 0.40 off every dollar.

Now that's a rip off.

Jess
I filed my income taxes last week, so perhaps unlike you I know what the real tax rates are like after deductions etc.

Want to guess what the REAL rate was? As a married man with kids and lots of home reno bills, in total the government took 17% of my distinctly average level income, so please, if you are going to post here, stick to what you know to be true

And if its sales tax you are refering to, 13% GST + PST is still less than the UK VAT rate.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 1st 2010 at 8:43 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:02 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Gav.
I'm afraid I dont know the answer to your question but I did do some research into the historical exchange rates once and I believe the lowest was 1.45 in 1985. So I think it would probably be wrong to assume it couldnt go lower. If its done it before it can do it again.

If you've got funds to move over then the exchange rate being as low as it is is a big concern - no question. But I also think you have to balance that with the relative strength of the Canadian economy versus the UK economy (which is largely why the exchange rate is as it is anyway). Salaries in Canada are now (at the current exchange rate) comparatively high versus the UK. Also job prospects are good and the economy is growing very quickly - over 5% in Q4 last year. In contrast the UK government's efforts to "stimulate" the economy have left it saddled with enormous debt that it will take a decade to recover from. This is going to make it harder and harder to provide basic public services such as healthcare and policing that people rely on for a decent quality of life. So if you take a long-term view I think there is no question that you will be better off in Canada.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
Salaries in Canada are now (at the current exchange rate) comparatively high versus the UK.
How relevant is that comparison once you're actually earning CAD$ though? Surely the cost of living is more relevant, and I don't see that there's a great deal of difference there. If you've had to exchange during this low rate, then getting established here is going to be much tougher than a few years ago, despite comparative salary/exchange rate figures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.